Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used luxury models

Options
  • 07-02-2012 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Just looking at carzone, there are 65,000 cars for sale. Of these, approx 7% are Fords and approx 6% are BMW's.

Ford has approx 12% of the new car market, BMW has approx 4%.

Audi and BMW have similar market share but there are approx 60% more used BMW's on sale vs Audis

Why is this ? The only things I can conclude are that either a) used BMW's are overpriced and slow to sell or b) BMW's change hands much more frequently than Fords so there are more transactions or c) there are huge numbers of BMW imports vs other marques.

Either way, the numbers are very strange. There are similar high numbers of Mercedes available relative to market share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

People are more likely to spend €30 on an ad for a BMW?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And most BMWs for sale on carzone are far from being luxury models. The 3 Series outsold the Mondeo in the UK making them more affordable to import.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

colm_mcm wrote: »
    People are more likely to spend €30 on an ad for a BMW?

Doesnt explain the Audi numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get figures from donedeal as well if you can. That place is teeming with skangered a4s

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

BMW & Audi tend to have larger engines
    And with the price of road tax they are more expensive to run , and the parts would be a lot more expensive than a ford too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I wouldn't even bother trying to come up with a reason why the %'s don't match. There are so many variables both motor and non-motor related that would come into play and its probably a mix of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

BMW & Audi ...

and the parts would be a lot more expensive than a ford too

That's not correct and is a common misconception.

I find most parts for my BMW on a par with VW part prices or any other make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

PaulKK wrote: »

Your in for a shock when you replace your brake discs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

What you have provided is a snapshot of cars for sale at any given time. It does not imply that there are as many used BMW sales as used Ford sales. What it might imply is that the time to sell a BMW is more than the time to sell a Ford.

Here comes some queueing theory:

Lets take the following example. You said new car sales are:
    12% Ford
    4% BMW

Lets imagine that 100 cars per day arrive on Carzone. Lets make an even fluffier assumption that this means 12 Fords per day and 4 BMWs per day.

Little's relation states that N = AR, where R is the average response time. Second hand Ford sales are one system. Second hand BMW sales are another system. N is number of cars in system. A is arrival rate of cars to the system (put up for sale). R is average time spent in system (from put on market to sold).

The average number of cars for sale, or in the process of being sold is N. Lest say Nford is number of fords is Nbmw.

The rate of arrival of Fords is 12/day. The rate of arrival of BMWs is 4/day. So Aford is 12/day, Abmw is 4/day

So you've noticed that number of Fords is 7% and BMWs is 6%. So we can say that Nford = 7/6 x Nbmw

Nford = 7/6 Nbmq
    => Aford x Rford = 7/6 x Abmw x Rbmw
    => 12/day x Rford = 7/6 x 4/day x Rbmw
    => 12 x Rford = 28/6 x Rbmw
    => Rford = 28/72 x Rbmw
    => Rford = 0.39 Rbmw

So here's your anomaly. If we assumed everyone kept cars (new and used) for exactly 3 years before selling on, we'd have a rate of arrival of used cars that would be consistent with the arrival rate of new cars. In this case, the above would prove that the time to sell a used Ford is only (approximately) 40% of the time to sell a used BMW.

In reality, people keep cars for varying lengths of time, though this might average out over a large number of users.

Basically my point is that the time to sell a particular model is just as big a factor as the number of that model on the road, when explaining the number of cars for sale (they're in the queue).

So in conclusion, Fords are probably easier to sell on. Hey, if 12% like 'em new, people like 'em used too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

If you are looking for a used luxury/ executive car these days the choice is limited. Apart from the Germans, mainstream car makers dont do luxury any more. People just were'nt buying enough of them. Remember the Granada, Omega, XM, 607, 166, Safrane, Camry, Legend, Maxima + Rover and Saab?

And its getting worse as the way its going the only choice in a few years will be between the A4 tdi and 520d.

• Advertisement

Your in for a shock when you replace your brake discs ;)

Lol
    Or a wishbone
    Headlight
    Cat sensor
    Maf sensor
    Clutch
    Brake pads
    Abs sensor
    Windscreen
    Tail light

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

If you are looking for a used luxury/ executive car these days the choice is limited. Apart from the Germans, mainstream car makers dont do luxury any more. People just were'nt buying enough of them. Remember the Granada, Omega, XM, 607, 166, Safrane, Camry, Legend, Maxima + Rover and Saab?

And its getting worse as the way its going the only choice in a few years will be between the A4 tdi and 520d.
    I agree, there's less and less interesting cars being bought new. If you search carzone for a 2008 - 2010 BMW or Audi and put fuel type in as petrol, you'll probably get 0 results. Pity, seeing as the Audi 3 litre turbo petrol in the new A6 falls into the 677 category for tax, as does the 2.5 and 3 litre E60's, and some of the newer 3 litres are in the band lower again. But no one is buying petrols new, so chances of us finding them in 3 or 4 years are slim!

BMW & Audi ...

and the parts would be a lot more expensive than a ford too

That's what I said !
    BMW & Audi parts are wildly expensive
    Compared to a ford

Advertisement