Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delivery costs

• 06-02-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭

Buying a new car the price quoted is subject to recommended retail delivery
    charge & related fees.
    I got quoted an extra €900 for delivery charge! :eek:
    Another way for a garage to bump up the profits or it is about right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Whoa. I know I've only ever bought two cars brand new but 900's a little excessive..!

Normally I only ever agree on a price all-in and ensure that it's inclusive of delivery and pdi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

€900 is on the high side, but it depends what car it is.

BMW are €850 (but may also try and stick on another €150 for fuel and some lovely cleaning products).

Audi are €800 according to their price list. Jaguar and LR are €1,000 - not sure what the official Merc charge is.

There is always a cost involved to the dealers, but it should usually be negotiable. The only manufacturer we pay full delivery charge for is BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Buying a new car the price quoted is subject to recommended retail delivery
    charge & related fees.
    I got quoted an extra €900 for delivery charge! :eek:
    Another way for a garage to bump up the profits or it is about right?

I'm open to correction on this, but there's a reason it is quoted separately: VRT and VAT.

If the 'delivery charge' was done away with, and simply added to the base price of the car, you would have to pay VRT on that amount, and VAT on that VRT amount, as well.

It's done to keep the price down.........otherwise you'd pay more.

Example - separate delivery pricing
    Car, 28% VRT Band - 20,000 inc VRT and VAT
    Delivery 1,000 inc VAT - no VRT applicable.
    Total + 21,000

Example - 'all-in' pricing, including delivery
    Car, 28% Band inc delivery - Total = 21,344

So, all-in pricing would make the car €344 more expensive. Or, conversely, listing delivery as a separate item makes it €344 cheaper.

Take your pick: which would you prefer ?

This isn't unique to Ireland, btw - in Denmark iirc - the price of the car for VRT purposes doesn't include extra's like.........different alloys, radio (!) etc.

You buy them 'separately'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

It was on a Renault :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

I collected a BMW from the Munich factory once and avoided the delivery charge:P

They still stung me €350 for a pre-delivery inspection:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

If a car is being registered first by the dealer as a demo model do they still have to pay the delivery cos or is there any charge involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

johnos1984 wrote: »
    If a car is being registered first by the dealer as a demo model do they still have to pay the delivery cos or is there any charge involved?

There is still an actual cost to the dealers from the transport company who collect the car from the docks and deliver it to the dealer. Then there are the budgetted costs for the labour involved in the PDI and cleaning.

Advertisement