Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim: 'Kyiv is the mother of all Russian Cities'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] We are at the verge of having another Hitler on our hands right at this very moment, and the Ukraine is the Czecho-Slovakia of the early 21st century.
    While certain parts of the comparison are arguable, there are too many unhappy connotations to make it palatable overall. So, no need to descend either to godwinning the thread, or to the level of the Russian, and pro-Russian Crimean, political systems which are still describing the (generally legitimate) government in Kiev as Nazis.

Thanking you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Given that the current dictatorship* in Crimea is wanting to carry out a mass eviction of the Crimean Tartars and repossession of all their land in the province, I cannot see how Russia can legitimately play the "but the land was ours first" card. The Crimean Tartars in that case would have a claim far more valid than Russia's.

*Well what else do you call a "government" imposed at the point of a Kalashnikov, literally?
    The Russians are not saying it was theirs first, they are there because the vast majority of Crimeans want to re-join the Russian Federation. That is the basis for their claim.

But long ago, well before it was Russian territory, it was ruled by the Ottoman Turks. Those were "the good old days" for the Tatars.
    So, given that the Turkish claim is older than that of Ukraine, and given that Istanbul is as close as Kiev, why are you not insisting that Turkey is the rightful sovereign?

I notice you are no longer claiming that the Tartars are being expelled from Crimea, which is some progress at least.
    IMO any individual Tartar who was dispossessed by Stalin, and then returned to his original house or patch of land in Crimea should get it back, plus compensation for the pain and suffering.
    Any other chancers who just showed up from other regions and squatted on random public land should get the same treatment we give to the "travellers" here; move them on and provide them with alternative basic accomodation or a halting site in a designated area.

You say the govt. is a dictatorship, but are they not the same deputies who were elected to the Parliament before the invasion? They simply elected to replace the previous prime minister, who ironically was a stooge of the previous (Russian backed) prime minister of Ukraine, Yanukovych. In other words, Kiev would have wanted to replace him sooner or later anyway, but obviously with someone other than the guy the Crimeans chose for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

recedite wrote: »

You say the govt. is a dictatorship, but are they not the same deputies who were elected to the Parliament before the invasion? They simply elected to replace the previous prime minister, who ironically was a stooge of the previous (Russian backed) prime minister of Ukraine, Yanukovych. In other words, Kiev would have wanted to replace him sooner or later anyway, but obviously with someone other than the guy the Crimeans chose for themselves.

...as opposed to the pro-Russian stooge they've instated instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

but that is because the Russians were welcomed, whereas Nato often go where they are not welcome.

You are either confusing the actions of certain NATO member countries with NATO as an organisation, or being completely disingenuous.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    While certain parts of the comparison are arguable, there are too many unhappy connotations to make it palatable overall. So, no need to descend either to godwinning the thread, or to the level of the Russian, and pro-Russian Crimean, political systems which are still describing the (generally legitimate) government in Kiev as Nazis.

Thanking you.

I'm honestly not happy about it myself, but an almost exact parallel is still an almost exact parallel, even when it is unpalaltable.

• Advertisement

I'm honestly not happy about it myself, but an almost exact parallel is still an almost exact parallel, even when it is unpalaltable.
    I think the comparison with Hitler is invidious and inflammatory, as any comparison with Hitler is. There's probably a greater and more useful parallel with the breakup of Yugoslavia and the wars of secession that accompanied it. Though I think that most people have mercifully forgotten most of the details of that especially nasty conflict.

BTW, allowing for some journalistic tally-ho, here's Nigel Farage explaining that he admires Putin and allows himself to excuse Putin's pre-emptive "reaction":

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/31/farage-i-admire-putin

You'd need to be specific about what part of Czechoslovakia you mean.

Its widely considered that the punitive terms of the Versailles treaty at the end of WWI sowed the seeds of WW11. Apart from being billed for the war reparations, the break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and Prussia also left large numbers (millions) of ethnic Germans in new countries, mainly Slavic ones. A good chunk of Austria went to the Czechs, a good chunk of Hungary went to Slovakia, Prussia mostly ended up in Poland, and France got Alsace-Loraine. What was left of Austria was forbidden from joining with Germany.

It was pretty much inevitable that these bits of Germany would gradually try to re-unite, like some unstable chemical elements re-forming themselves into a stable chemical compound. The problem was that the nazis went way beyond that, annexing much wider areas where they were definitely not wanted.

So when people talk about the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland, as a precursor to WWII, you have to realise that these actions did not cause WWII. In the opinion of the British and the French at the time, these annexations, which were generally supported by the local population, would in fact help to de-fuse the situation, which was an entirely reasonable opinion to take.

Unfortunately Hitler was not a reasonable man, and his subsequent actions in taking over the rest of Czechoslovakia and Poland were unreasonable and unjustified. Those were the actions that set off WWII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I think the comparison with Hitler is invidious and inflammatory, as any comparison with Hitler is.

And I think that Hitler is not a unique evil, and that his evil has been replicated many times since. To use your Yugoslavia example, what's the sole difference between the SS Totenkopf brigades and Arkan's Tigers?

Simply that the latter didn't have the access to the equiment and materials to set up gas chambers when they went about their mission of causing the genocide of Bosnian Muslims and Croats, instead sticking to the Totenkopfs' early tactic (immediately after the invasion of Poland) of digging mass graves, lining up their victims in front and machine-gunning them into the graves.

The parallels are striking and horrific when you care to look, but not looking just allows the evil to more easily flourish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

It is of no surprise to find an [alleged] racist and homophobe like Farage supporting Putin. It is somewhat surprising however - and perhaps a little ironic, to find Putin's Russia being likened to Nazi Germany though; the current administration in Moscow only a couple of generations away from the Russians that defeated Hitler and who lost 20+ million Russians in the process.
    Admittedly with Russia's intervention in Georgia and now this recent land grab in the black sea they certainly aren't doing themselves any favours but I find the Nazi comparison a little troubling and rather unsubstantiated. There is news in the wind (from an extremely unreliable source it must be said) that Putin wishes to regain Finland (I thought he'd be too busy invading Ukraine but there you go). If any of this were to happen (it won't!) then we'd perhaps have a comparison.

I don't believe anyone in this thread actually supports any of the corrupt policies of the current Russian administration or indeed its head puppet Putin but I do find some of the opinions here a little and unbalanced and inconsiderate; I mean at least acknowledge the US they have been trying very hard.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    It is of no surprise to find an [alleged] racist and homophobe like Farage supporting Putin. It is somewhat surprising however - and perhaps a little ironic, to find Putin's Russia being likened to Nazi Germany though; the current administration in Moscow only a couple of generations away from the Russians that defeated Hitler and who lost 20+ million Russians in the process.
    It's not ironic, it's just inappropriate, as any comparison to Hitler is.

The Russians certainly did lose millions during WWII, but one could spend a very long time indeed arguing about how many of those died owing to the suicidal military, domestic and economic policies of Stalin, and how many were actually killed by the German military and their secret police.

But whether the comparison is appropriate or not, there certainly are unhappy parallels - Hitler invaded the Sudetenland while claiming he was "protecting" the "rights" of ethnic Germans in the region while the West looked on and washed their collective hands of it. Putin invaded Crimea for a very similar reason and was greeted with a similar response. The parallels end there and they are unrelated to the generational difference between the current occupants of the Kremlin and their predecessors who managed, at an eye-watering human cost, to defeat Hitler in the east.

Putin is a far too cold, vindictive, aggressive and dangerous a man to run as febrile and politically naive as Russia, but he certainly made the correct political judgement in seeing that Crimea was his for the taking. So he took it and the Russian population, by and large, greeted his theft-at-gunpoint with unlimited amounts of flag-waving and the kind of overt, howling nationalism that may well prove difficult to contain internally, and more worryingly, externally.

• Advertisement

It's not ironic, it's just inappropriate, as any comparison to Hitler is.

The Russians certainly did lose millions during WWII, but one could spend a very long time indeed arguing about how many of those died owing to the suicidal military, domestic and economic policies of Stalin, and how many were actually killed by the German military and their secret police.

But whether the comparison is appropriate or not, there certainly are unhappy parallels - Hitler invaded the Sudetenland while claiming he was "protecting" the "rights" of ethnic Germans in the region while the West looked on and washed their collective hands of it. Putin invaded Crimea for a very similar reason and was greeted with a similar response. The parallels end there and they are unrelated to the generational difference between the current occupants of the Kremlin and their predecessors who managed, at an eye-watering human cost, to defeat Hitler in the east.

Putin is a far too cold, vindictive, aggressive and dangerous a man to run as febrile and politically naive as Russia, but he certainly made the correct political judgement in seeing that Crimea was his for the taking. So he took it and the Russian population, by and large, greeted his theft-at-gunpoint with unlimited amounts of flag-waving and the kind of overt, howling nationalism that may well prove difficult to contain internally, and more worryingly, externally.

In general agreement with much of the above but again having to note some provisions. The Sudeten crisis, although having certain similarities was vastly different and was clearly exploited by Hitler as a pretext for war. Does anyone actually believe that Russia wants to go war with Ukraine, Poland or Finland? I can't see a motive for that or even a will as it would be political and economic suicide for them.
    And even with the first-hand exposure to the modern Russian zealots that I've had, I can say they are far from being a stupid people and very far removed from the single mindedness of the Soviet era; now very much a world weary people aware and critical of their own leadership.
    Saying that I do completely agree about internal Russian flag waving; it had unhappy parallels to Iraq and Afghanistan for me - thankfully however, there have been very few casualties in this conflict so far. Long may that continue and here's to hoping the Putin puts his &**& back in his trousers.

... The Sudeten crisis, although having certain similarities was vastly different and was clearly exploited by Hitler as a pretext for war.
    I don't agree with that at all, because the Sudeten situation did not lead to war. Hitler was probably disappointed that the British and French agreed to let him have Sudetenland, because he actually lost the pretext for war then. The invasion of other (Slavic) parts of Czechoslovakia and Poland subsequently led to war.

In many ways the Crimean and Sudeten situations were similar to the way GDR East Germany peacefully seceded from the Eastern Bloc in 1989 and within a year had been "annexed" by popular vote into Germany, ie re-drawing borders is not in itself necessarily harmful.

Meanwhile Nato makes the next move.
    The US will now push to have those missile bases built in former eastern Bloc countries. If the people can be scared enough, they will acquiesce.

I don't agree with that at all, because the Sudeten situation did not lead to war. Hitler was probably disappointed that the British and French agreed to let him have Sudetenland, because he actually lost the pretext for war then. The invasion of other (Slavic) parts of Czechoslovakia and Poland subsequently led to war.

In many ways the Crimean and Sudeten situations were similar to the way GDR East Germany peacefully seceded from the Eastern Bloc in 1989 and within a year had been "annexed" by popular vote into Germany, ie re-drawing borders is not in itself necessarily harmful.

Meanwhile Nato makes the next move.
    The US will now push to have those missile bases built in former eastern Bloc countries. If the people can be scared enough, they will acquiesce.

Ok Recedite - technically speaking - it did not lead directly to the start of WW2 but their (Germany's) continued occupation and annexations of Sudetenland leading up to 1939 can hardly be ignored and registers as a major contributing factor.
    The idea of the comparison at hand here (between Putin and Hitler) is, presumably, to state that if Putin were he go to further into Ukraine, Poland or Finland that he would force NATO's hand and then we'd potentially have WW3.
    It is all bit tenuous as Hitler had major racial and ideological platforms that are not fulfilled by the comparison but it does make for a nice headline

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/03/uk-ukraine-crisis-germany-russia-idUKBREA3213620140403

Latest - Pro-Russian "protesters" attack and take control of regional parliament buildings in Donetsk, Lugunsk and Kharkov.

The protesters occupying the Donetsk parliament vote for a referendum on independence for Donetsk for 11th May. The same men also call for Russia to invade to protect them from the government in Kiev. Current state is the other two cities is unclear, but it seems that Lugunsk may do something similar, while protesters appear to have been removed from the building in Kharkov.

The interim president of Ukraine claims that this is being done under the direct control of Moscow and vows to take decisive action.

*unbelievable*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Latest - Pro-Russian "protesters" attack and take control of regional parliament buildings in Donetsk, Lugunsk and Kharkov.

The protesters occupying the Donetsk parliament vote for a referendum on independence for Donetsk for 11th May. The same men also call for Russia to invade to protect them from the government in Kiev. Current state is the other two cities is unclear, but it seems that Lugunsk may do something similar, while protesters appear to have been removed from the building in Kharkov.

The interim president of Ukraine claims that this is being done under the direct control of Moscow and vows to take decisive action.

*unbelievable*

Any comment recidite ?

marienbad wrote: »
    Any comment recidite ?

They don't hang around anyway!:eek:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJ1YqjMu3s

Tanslation

Considering they are now looking for peace keeping troops from Putin the following clip (from Yes Prime Minister) is a little painful

starts at 7.03 for reference

http://youtu.be/diuQiXt5qE4

From the translation:
    Protesters wrote:
    Territory of the republic can not be changed without the consent of its citizens.
    Presumably this doesn't apply to the Republic of Ukraine.

Edit - Just read to the end of that document. There's not a single sentence which doesn't betray breathtaking delusion, cynicism and hypocrisy. Even by Russian standards, it's appalling.

From the translation:Presumably this doesn't apply to the Republic of Ukraine.

I'm not even sure how they think they can make the process 'work' locally!

*unbelievable*

Not really. *slaps sarcasm detector*

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What would makes things really interesting - and scary!- is if pro-Russian demonstrators took control of gov buildings in a city in another Eastern Bloc country e.g Lithuania.

Any comment recidite ?
    Only what I said before;
    the Maidan crowd had their chance to unify Ukraine and they blew it with their uber-nationalistic rhetoric. They pushed Crimea (and possibly the eastern regions) into Putin's embrace....
    In fairness we did the same 100 years ago, we had our chance and we blew it. John Redmond may well have had the ability to create a united Ireland in the long term, but after 1916 the attitude of the people polarized, North and South.

There is an interesting psychological flaw in peoples minds which causes moderates to back extremists when the chips are down. The fear of extremists in the opposite camp gaining control drives people much more than the desire to see moderates in their own camp gain power. .

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Russians have had a couple of divisions on standby for the last month or so, only about 30km to the east. Nato have announced their intention to bolster the Ukraine military, but that will take time. It took them about 8 years to "bolster" the Georgian military, and even then they weren't much good.
    Ideally some kind of authorititive world peacekeeping body would step in and arbitrate the situation, but the world lacks such a body.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Only what I said before;

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Russians have had a couple of divisions on standby for the last month or so, only about 30km to the east. Nato have announced their intention to bolster the Ukraine military, but that will take time. It took them about 8 years to "bolster" the Georgian military, and even then they weren't much good.
    Ideally some kind of authorititive world peacekeeping body would step in and arbitrate the situation, but the world lacks such a body.

So your only comment is we need to 'arbitrate the situation' !

For fcuk sake where are your principles or even a sense of right and wrong ?

Jernal wrote: »
    What would makes things really interesting - and scary!- is if pro-Russian demonstrators took control of gov buildings in a city in another Eastern Bloc country e.g Lithuania.

NATO member state, so they wouldn't dare...

...or maybe they would. Watch the Yes Minister video. Would the UK or US really go to war for Lithuania? Who knows. Would they push the nuclear button for Lithuania? Hardly. T-90s will be on the Baltic coast before they can do anything.

Life ain't always empty.

For fcuk sake where are your principles or even a sense of right and wrong ?

Perhaps it would help if we had a definitive example of 'right' and the current international body or country that is adhering to that 'sense of right' as you call it.
    Again this is not a defense in any way of Putins or policies or perhaps a better word; insanity - it is a call for clarity of the overall situation.
    I'm also not, in any way whatsoever, seeking to use one wrong to dissolve another but rather establish the setting as you it. This would be useful for debate; we may even be able to stop misunderstanding one other.

ninja900 wrote: »
    NATO member state, so they wouldn't dare...

...or maybe they would. Watch the Yes Minister video. Would the UK or US really go to war for Lithuania? Who knows. Would they push the nuclear button for Lithuania? Hardly. T-90s will be on the Baltic coast before they can do anything.

'Peace Keepers' on way I imagine - madness

ninja900 wrote: »
    Would the UK or US really go to war for Lithuania?
    They're certainly treaty-obliged to do so. But given the US + UK have done little more than gently wave the Budapest Memorandum at Russia, one can't help but wonder whether they'd treat a more serious treaty with equal carelessness. Perhaps not.

Back on the font-line, Russia told Ukraine not to use force in Eastern Ukraine. This morning, Ukraine used force to eject armed separatists from a regional administration building in Kharkov, while informal reports from Donetsk suggest that the Republic of Donetsk, formed yesterday, might have dissolved itself (the surprised tone of the note, btw, suggests that somebody's mum rang up and read the riot act). It's hard to separate myth from reality, horror from farce.

Here's a fairly well-written article describing what's up now and what is possible to happen over the next few weeks, unless the Russians deescalate:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2014/04/07/putins-attack-on-ukraine-began-today-what-this-means-for-europe-and-the-us/

Perhaps it would help if we had a definitive example of 'right' and the current international body or country that is adhering to that 'sense of right' as you call it.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

The Russian government is likely sending people into Ukraine to destabilize it, and if not, it's certainly doing it's level best to destabilize it from over the border - blanket propaganda, tens of thousands of troops hanging around for no clear reason, threatening statements from the Russian foreign affairs minister, threatening laws from the Duma and threatening speeches from Putin.

By common consent, countries with peaceful, honorable intent do not do these things, especially to unstable countries.

At the very least, you can agree that this carry-on is "wrong"?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

The Russian government is likely sending people into Ukraine to destabilize it, and if not, it's certainly doing it's level best to destabilize it from over the border - blanket propaganda, tens of thousands of troops hanging around for no clear reason, threatening statements from the Russian foreign affairs minister, threatening laws from the Duma and threatening speeches from Putin.

By common consent, countries with peaceful, honorable intent do not do these things, especially to unstable countries.

At the very least, you can agree that this carry-on is "wrong"?

Totally wrong of course -
    But in the setting it takes on complexities;
    Simply declaring it as wrong doesn't exactly do justice to the entire situation - and by declaring it wrong supposes there is an approximate 'right' somewhere and it was more the definition of what this 'approximate right' is that I am after. Contextually then we have a framework by which we can analyse the situation with less bias.

• Advertisement

[...] by declaring it wrong supposes there is an approximate 'right' somewhere and it was more the definition of what this 'approximate right' is that I am after.
    I'm not all that concerned about notions of right and wrong here -- these are concerns for philosophers, rather than politicians and historians -- though to answer your question, "approximate right" in the context of international relations means, for example, that you don't threaten them with invasion and war on a hastily cooked-up and entirely fictitious pretext, you don't propagandize your own population, you don't steal land from your neighbours and threaten to steal more, you don't mass your troops on your neighbour's borders and leave them sit there for weeks on end.
    Contextually then we have a framework by which we can analyse the situation with less bias.
    I'm not sure either here quite what you mean by this. International laws, international treaties, international memoranda and international precedent has been trampled over by a vicious nutcase who is armed with nuclear weapons.

That's the "context".

Advertisement