Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of the line...?

Options
  • 12-05-2014 9:43am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

EA are shutting down all BF games except bf3 and 4 due to the end of GameSpy. There's talk of migrating to a new system but no promises.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's an awful lot of gaming history in that list.

But there's no money in them now, so EA's not going to drop cash on a replacement for Gamespy.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Ponster wrote: »
    http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

EA are shutting down all BF games except bf3 and 4
    Bad company 2 will also be kept going as far as I can tell.

It's bad news especially for modders of previous BF games. My favourite, the First Strike mod for 2142 stands on it's own as a complete but unique BF game with new game modes, space battles and boarding of space stations etc

I might have to give it another blast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

From EA Service Updates the following servers for Battlefield games are due to be shut down on 30th June

June 30th, 2014 -- Online Services Shutdown

Battlefield 1942 for PC and Mac (including The Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WW2 expansions)
    Battlefield 2 for PC (including Special Forces expansion)
    Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for PlayStation 2
    Battlefield 2142 for PC and Mac (including Northern Strike expansion)
    Battlefield Vietnam for PC

Star Wars: Battlefront for PC and PlayStation 2
    Star Wars: Battlefront II for PC and PlayStation 2

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder how this will affect sites such as game-monitor.com and if someone could make a 3rd party "gamespy" from said websites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

miju wrote: »
    From EA Service Updates the following servers for Battlefield games are due to be shut down on 30th June

June 30th, 2014 -- Online Services Shutdown

Battlefield 1942 for PC and Mac (including The Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WW2 expansions)
    Battlefield 2 for PC (including Special Forces expansion)
    Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for PlayStation 2
    Battlefield 2142 for PC and Mac (including Northern Strike expansion)
    Battlefield Vietnam for PC

Star Wars: Battlefront for PC and PlayStation 2
    Star Wars: Battlefront II for PC and PlayStation 2

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057208288/1/#post90353134

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Fieldog wrote: »

slooooowwww :):)

mods feel free to delete / merge

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Spear wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of gaming history in that list.

But there's no money in them now, so EA's not going to drop cash on a replacement for Gamespy.

I still have the odd daydream that I'm running around somewhere in BF142 Desert Combat. I've not touched it in over 6 years but it wouldn't take more than a few seconds to know exactly where to go and to attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Huh, weren't EA / Origin doing a marketing free 'giveaway' event for Battlefield 1942 recently? And now they have moved to shutdown online gameplay? Hmph.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Huh, weren't EA / Origin doing a marketing free 'giveaway' event for Battlefield 1942 recently? And now they have moved to shutdown online gameplay? Hmph.

This wasn't EAs doing, Gamespy are being shutdown. EA have no say, and plenty of other games are also affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Didn't GameSpy in fact take over some other game search thing a long time ago? I vaguely remember GameSpy being the "new" thing? This would be about 6-10 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

As above ea are closing down battlefield 2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

to be honest it feels like the whole BF series is shutting down...I mean how many are really playing BF4 now at this stage??

Advertisement