Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New militarized flu spreading like wildfire in Mexico City

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Sure.

So, the only proper scientific paper testing masks and their usefullness in a REAL influenza outbreak is:

MacIntyre CR, Epid MA, Cauchemez S, Dwyer DE, Seale H, Cheung P, et al. Face mask use and control of respiratory virus transmission in households. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2009.

There's very litle other actual evidence out there.

There's also no good scientific evidence that this virus is too small for the N95 mask.

You'll see that a big finding in this study is that compliance is a big issue in the success of masks. That's one of the reasons N95 masks are probably better. They are easier to breath through. But there's no good evidence at all for N99 masks.

That's why the WHO recommends the N95:

http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/20090429_infection_control_en.pdf

No one is trying to kill you!!! I, and the guys in the WHO and CDC, work silly hours when diseases spread! It's saturday night on a bank holiday weekend. I was in work at 8am today because of this thing. I'll be back in tomorrow morning,

Also, there are no cases of human swine flu in Ireland yet.
    Okay, I appreciate the reference given but did you read it? Because I did:

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/15/2/233.htm
    In our study, fit testing for P2 masks was not conducted because this is unlikely to be feasible in the general community during a pandemic. As such, we felt it was more appropriate to determine the efficacy of non–fit-tested masks. We found no difference in adherence between P2 and surgical masks, an important finding, as there is a common belief among healthcare workers that P2 masks are less comfortable. The size of the study did not permit conclusive comparison of the relative efficacy of P2 masks and surgical masks. Given the 5- to 10-fold cost difference between the 2 mask types, quantifying any difference in efficacy between surgical masks and particulate respirators remains a priority that needs to be addressed by a larger trial.
    So basically what they said is that a non-fitted P2 (N95) has the same efficacy as a surgical mask when it comes down to adherence (actually wearing it).

They then go on to say:
    Conversely, the low rate of confirmed influenza A or B infection (18.4%) in the study could mean that our findings are not directly applicable to a scenario in which influenza predominates. If influenza is more likely than the other viruses in our study to be transmitted by the respiratory route, the prevalence of mixed infections would tend to bias our results toward the null. However, it is possible that a pandemic strain may have different transmission characteristics than seasonal strains as demonstrated by attack rates in different age groups in pandemics compared with seasonal outbreaks and by the detection of influenza virus in different clinical samples in human influenza virus A (H5N1) cases.

Okay I'm parking this here because we're never going to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

nodolan wrote: »
    Okay, I appreciate the reference given but did you read it? Because I did:

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/15/2/233.htm

So basically what they said is that a non-fitted P2 (N95) has the same efficacy as a surgical mask when it comes down to adherence (actually wearing it).

They then go on to say:

Okay I'm parking this here because we're never going to agree.

That's EXACTLY the point.

They're saying that non fitted masks in the community aren't particularly useful. So, that's why the public get surgical masks, and healthcare professionals get P2 masks.

The second point is merely stating that the findings of this study looked at various respiratory viruses in the community, and may not be applicable to all viruses. No one claimed otherwise.

But the point I was making is that it's the only trial of masks in a real life situation. It's not a perfect study. But it;s the best evidence we have. There has been nothing like it for N99 masks.

I was really confused the last couple of days by the news reports on RTE and by what the HSE was saying - 'there are no detected or probable cases of AH1N1' - while several people were sick after coming back from Mexico. :confused:

And now almost a week after the first suspected case in the East of the country they've finally admitted the guy is positive for AH1N1:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0502/swineflu.html

On Livelive there were several people reporting that there were up to 6-12 people in Ireland that may have this flu. One woman and her husband called in from quarantine (in her home in Limerick) but she hasn't been mentioned once on the news (so it would seem that the Irish media are in collusion with the HSE to keep quiet).

I suppose this is what we get for having no proper lab in this country so we have to send samples to the UK and wait for them to process them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I was really confused the last couple of days by the news reports on RTE and by what the HSE was saying - 'there are no detected or probable cases of AH1N1' - while several people were sick after coming back from Mexico. :confused:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0427/swineflu.html - Reports from almost a week ago that we might have cases of it, turned up negative the next day.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0430/swineflu.html - Reports from a couple of days ago that we probably had a case of it.

When did they say 'there are no detected or probable cases of AH1N1', cause if it was between Tuesday and Thurdsay it very well may have been true.
    One woman and her husband called in from quarantine (in her home in Limerick) but she hasn't been mentioned once on the news (so it would seem that the Irish media are in collusion with the HSE to keep quiet).

How come you jump straight to the cover up theory but don't consider that the woman could be lying? :confused:

What advantage is there for a coverup if they have these people in quarantine? Surely they'd only try cover it up if they wanted these people wandering around in public spreading the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I doubt she was lying. She was likely to have been a case that was waiting for results to come back. In those situations, if there is genuine concern that the result will be positive (most of the people having tests are pretty unlikely to be positive, certainly where I work) then you ask them to stay indoors until the result is back.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    When did they say 'there are no detected or probable cases of AH1N1', cause if it was between Tuesday and Thurdsay it very well may have been true.
    It was at the press conference on Thursday evening. While they were waiting for test results to come back on at least two people - both of whom became ill within 24 hours of coming back from Mexico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

The swine flu is in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

espinolman wrote: »
    The swine flu is in Ireland .

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

6th wrote: »
    Link?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0503/swineflu.html

We're doomed, DOOOOMMMed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

6th wrote: »
    Link?
    Is what i mean is someone has it in Ireland i heard , but i have no links .

• Advertisement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8032582.stm

Look at that.
    No martial law.
    No one being herd into camps.
    No depopulation.
    No ethnic cleansing.
    No vast profits for drug companies.

No conspiracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

Here is how much you can trust the CDC.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention withheld evidence that contaminated tap water caused lead poisoning in kids
    http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2009/04/10/cdc_lead_report/

You mean how it was called by actual scientists and the media?

Wow they must save all the cover up money for the big stuff.

Advertisement