Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I taxed the car today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

awec wrote: »
    People with cars with high tax rates moaning about the high tax rate really gets on my wick. Motor tax did not arrive overnight. You knew the car was high tax before you bought it. No point moaning that Joe round the corner pays half the amount of motor tax you do.
    I imagine the problem is being taxed heavily from so many sides and having to negotiate bog standard roads and tolls....

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jesus awec, you'd swear the higher tax bands were fair to begin with :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

listermint wrote: »
    If they hit up the 1683 tax again thats it! government buildings needs to burn down.

I can see them rogering us again.....all they are doing is putting larger vehicles off the road.

That idiot on his bike who ran the Green Party is very responsible for the car taxation mess this country is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Why don't you switch your car for a 2 litre diesel?

You have a high tax car. People who buy high tax cars generally do so because they have an income that allows them to pay high taxes on the car. People who buy low tax cars generally do so for financial reasons.

Did you expect to buy a high tax car and not have the rate of tax increase more than the other bands? The higher bands are always going to see increases, because if needs be you can move down the bands by switching cars. If the low bands go up all the time then there's nowhere for people to go.

So because I can afford it I should just bend over and accept what ever the government have in mind for me? One of our problems as a nation is that we don't complain enough.

Should we not question why the system is so unbalanced rather then assuming who ever set it up knew what they were doing, isn't that why it's broken in the first place? Just because I knew the system was broken before I bought my current car it doesn't mean that I shouldn't be pushing for something more fair, you come across in your posts as of being slightly begrudging of people with large engine cars, they should be giving medals for their contributions to the state :pac:.

I wanted the car but didn't want the tax band. I stubbornly pay the tax and I do not like it but I have always been of the opinion that motor tax rates have been ridiculous.
    Viper_JB wrote: »
    So because I can afford it I should just bend over and accept what ever the government have in mind for me? One of our problems as a nation is that we don't complain enough.

Should we not question why the system is so unbalanced rather then assuming who ever set it up knew what they were doing, isn't that why it's broken in the first place? Just because I knew the system was broken before I bought my current car it doesn't mean that I shouldn't be pushing for something more fair, you come across in your posts as of being slightly begrudging of people with large engine cars, they should be giving medals for their contributions to the state .

Amen.

• Advertisement

But it's not road tax either.
    I don't discredit that but surely you as a motorist can understand the frustration.

Awec, are you advocating that we should all drive around in one litre Polos?

We can pay the rates, yes but as Viper said, we don't like paying them nor does it negate our freedom to see that it's not a fair rate to be paying.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The tax on fuel is already about 75% of the cost of a litre of petrol! Jesus any more tax on fuel and it will be cheaper to rent a hooker and ride her to the shops!
    Taxed as commercial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The tax on fuel is already about 75% of the cost of a litre of petrol! Jesus any more tax on fuel and it will be cheaper to rent a hooker and ride her to the shops!

still one of the cheapest in europe.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I dunno, our hookers are pretty expens... oh wait tax, yeh. Ahem.

love/hate theres a place just off the....

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm advocating that people who choose to pay high motor tax rates should stop complaining and feigning shock that they are paying high (and increasing) motor tax rates.
    And justifiable along with extortionate duties applied to fuel at the pumps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

still one of the cheapest in europe.....

Cheapest in Europe?
    Ireland is 14th dearest in Europe.
    http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/index.php?sort=4

CiniO wrote: »
    Cheapest in Europe?
    Ireland is 14th dearest in Europe.

17 cent per litre in Kuwait :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lets all move there tomorrow. That will show them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Kuwait.....here I come

469x264.jpg

There'll be 50 to 100 euro increase at least on the top rate annual cc rate me thinks, if anyone strongly thinks otherwise I'll gladly partake in a charity wager :)

Where are you getting that from?

From the list as posted already. One of the cheapest in Europe

as an aside the definition in Europe on that list is heavily stretched..... like the Eurovision (Israel !!!)

Still one of the cheapest in Europe. Yes. You can blow half of that list off for not being actually in Europe geographically and secondly not being part of the EU.

Cinio you proved my point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Im sorry but i really cant see them doing it. its the post 08 that will be hit.

Dont get me wrong il be fuming but i cant honestly see it happening.
    Well see, but I cant imagine them leaving, what must be over 50% of the cars on the road seeing no motor tax increase.
    Welcome to Ireland, it should come as no surprise to you that those who contribute the most are always those asked to contribute more when the government realises it hasn't enough money.

I'm not begrudging, I don't like the way the system constantly targets those who CAN afford things (in fact I hate it). What annoys me is people who are paying high tax rates by choice complaining that they are paying high tax rates.

If you buy a car in the high tax brackets then you are bound to realise that the rate you pay now is not as high as it's going to be in a few years time and budget accordingly
    totally agree, the higher rates are INSANE, but nobody is forced to buy these big engine cars and realistically nobody needs a car with bigger engine than 2L, unless its for commercial purposes...

From the list as posted already. One of the cheapest in Europe

as an aside the definition in Europe on that list is heavily stretched..... like the Eurovision (Israel !!!)

Still one of the cheapest in Europe. Yes. You can blow half of that list off for not being actually in Europe geographically and secondly not being part of the EU.

Cinio you proved my point

There's 51 countries on that list,
    Except from Jordan, Georgia, Tunisia, USA, Egypt, Algeria, Kuweit (which is 7 countries) everything else is in Europe.

So Ireland comes as 14/44.
    Indeed - cheapest in Europe.

there is no point comparing us with some of those "European" countries, Germany, France, Uk,Belgium, Holland etc are fair comparisons...

• Advertisement

I am surprised that no one ever challenged the post 08 system as being unfair.

I wonder is there anyone on here paying the 226g+ €2258 a year fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Not here but I have seen a Navara in the local townland wearing such a tax disc!!! :eek:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there is no point comparing us with some of those "European" countries, Germany, France, Uk,Belgium, Holland etc are fair comparisons...

Yes sure.
    If you compare Ireland with countries where petrol is dearer than in Ireland, you will get the desired result - Ireland will show up as the cheapest.

But original post mentioned that Ireland has cheapest fuel in Europe.

There's a chap with a 2009 RX8 paying that :eek:

He's not on here though as far as I know.

Maybe Shanes 335i, but I think his is 2007. Could be wrong. I cant think of anyone on here that attracts that fee. Its pretty mental and bad news for any us who want nice second hand yokes in 5-10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I was there twice and it is ridiculous how cheap it is water is like double the price per litre. My uncle worked out there and drove a 4.0 litre auto petrol(obviously) pajero. he done alot of driving and got a 20 pound per month fuel allowance and no matter how much driving he did he couldnt spend it:D. its unbelievable that allowance wouldnt get you far here.

Yes sure.
    If you compare Ireland with countries where petrol is dearer than in Ireland, you will get the desired result - Ireland will show up as the cheapest.

But original post mentioned that Ireland has cheapest fuel in Europe.
    relatively it might well do, look at welfare and pension levels, PS and private sector pay...

Maybe Shanes 335i, but I think his is 2007. Could be wrong. I cant think of anyone on here that attracts that fee. Its pretty mental and bad news for any us who want nice second hand yokes in 5-10 years.
    why wait, take a look at this... 02 7 series, 100k miles ASKING E2750, has now sold...

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41435

relatively it might well do, look at welfare and pension levels, PS and private sector pay...

Relative to earnings sure - Ireland would be on top of the cheapest.
    Probably only outperformed by some Scandinavian countries.

But we were talking just about the price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

MugMugs wrote: »
    And would arrears not be payable too if you took this method?

They pretty much give you a months grace after it running out to pay it.
    Once it goes over a month there is a penalty involved.
    Either way the new disc is only valid from when the previous one expired unless its been signed of the road by the gardaí

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wrong, discs cannot be issued in respect of months that have passed.

You have to pay arrears and then get a new licence for 3 months going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Anyone paying that amount of tax ought to have their own reserved parking space from the local council. Just for keeping them afloat for the year.

why wait, take a look at this... 02 7 series, 100k miles ASKING E2750, has now sold...

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41435

That year E65 is a ticking time bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Peter Sutherlands daughter lives a few doors up from me, he used to drive an 09 D Jaguar XF SV8, surely that was in the highest band.

He's now driving a 12 D Jaguar XKR Convertible. :eek:

Awec y'ain't makin' much sense to be honest. Saying that somebody who can't afford high tax should buy a 2008 low tax car is laughable at how you are missing the point. Anyone who can afford the cheaper tax 08' car is going to pay a significant premium on that car probably 4-5 figure sums. The person spending that money certainly isn't short a few hundred for tax renewal. ;)

That year E65 is a ticking time bomb.
    possibly, was just highlighting a point though and it is priced to reflect the ridiculous running cost, the few niggles it has and any potential disasters...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

So motor enthusiasts should only buy 08+ cars then ?

No, im still in the tax on fuel camp rather than the hasle that comes with a fixed charge+fuel tax too, from every viewpoint it is the best option.

Enviorment (The real polluters pay/people who just use car as a workhorse will opt for the more economical versions)
    More revenue (Use your car then you pay more/you pick a performance/thirsty car well here is the sting)
    Convienience (Fill up and drive = simples)
    Motor enthusiasts and people who want to own multiple/weekend cars will no longer be taken for a ride (Enviorment will be helped too as work vehicle will obviously be more economical)

I would no doubt due to the nature of my work love to have a small van or run around for during the week and be able to hop in my Focus at the weekend and be able to polish it and moon over how shiny it is and enjoy it at the weekend, the current system makes this for me personally impossible which makes me sad. Overall the system needs to get itself into the 21st century.

Back to the original point, Irish people still seem to have a Lords and Vassels attitude where they think if anyone can have anything nice/different in terms of a car then feck em shurrre they can afford 200-300 euros a year just for not paying all in one go when most people in small engined cars are dodging tax half the time anyway. I as an adult understand the need for motor taxation and i feel its my duty to pay, however the 2 tier system is unfair and people are being taken for a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I didn't say buy a low 08 tax car.

If you buy a 2005 car that has high tax you know it has high tax. If you don't want to pay that much in tax buy another car. Don't buy the car and then moan that this car you bought has a high tax rate.

Some people who post here buy a car for the car and not because of its tax band, sure a premium should be paid, however not at the current levels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement