Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing dipped bulbs on a B6 Passat - I'm sick of it!

Options
  • 28-10-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

So last night the driver's side dipped bulb died on my Passat. No surprise there given I always have them on and the car seems to eat bulbs anyway so I have a spare set in the glove box.

So there I am in the dark trying to get the damn replacement in place but because whoever the genius was that designed the engine bay decided to put the water bottle right behind the driver's side headlight unit, as anyone who has one of these cars knows, it's not an easy task if you don't have tiny hands. I'm left handed as well which may or may not help matters.

Once again then I've destroyed my hand trying to get the bulb in place (check out the pics - ouch! :() and it's still not right so need to go at it again in daylight. On my car the bulb sits into a plastic bracket which then screws into the back of the headlight housing (I know there's about 3 types of fittings on these cars but that's the one on mine anyway)

Is there any better way of doing this or can the entire headlight be removed without dismantling half the front of the car? It really shouldn't be necessary to take a car to a dealer to change a bulb!!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

A picture of the headlight would be better than a sore finger. Then the non VW among us might be able to see the problem. To give you an idea, the pre 2007 Mondeo has 2 clips that allow the headlight to pop out without mis-aligning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A picture of the headlight would be better than a sore finger. Then the non VW among us might be able to see the problem. To give you an idea, the pre 2007 Mondeo has 2 clips that allow the headlight to pop out without mis-aligning it.

Here ya go..
    http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2010_Volkswagen_Passat_Komfort_2.0L_4_Cyl._Turbo_Wagon/lights/headlight

US car but the arrangement in the engine bay is the same so it's their passenger side that's the problem in this case. The bulb fitting seems to be the same as well.. some of the Passat's have fittings where the bulb just clips in rather than a bracket as on mine.

Note the water bottle directly behind the lights in the 4th section of the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The whole design of the passat is a mess in terms of ease of service.

You have to take the whole front of the car off to do the timing belt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

I've replaced a few on mine on both driver and passenger side. The first time was a bit tricky but I tend to use a small mirrror and torch and don't find it a very difficult job to be honest. What brand of bulbs are you using as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

You have to take the whole front of the car off to do the timing belt ?

No not on the B6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Moanin wrote: »
    No not on the B6.

Ah sorry. B5 I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Osram do long life halogen bulbs which might eleviate the frequency of having to change them. Have them in my car as it is also a PITA to change a headlight bulb. You have to go through the wheel arch.

Volvo had the simplist system where you disconnected the iso block connector at the rear and remove the entire headlight unit, bring it indoors and just remove the rear hatch and replace the bulb, takes 5 mins.

I also had bulbs blowing in every VAG car especially a B6 A4 TDI.

I upgraded to HID's and problem solved, I would think that the electronic ballast eliminated the voltage spikes or whatever.

If you do get HID kits make sure you get the correct ones for your headlight, if they are projector or reflector lenses, that's very important. And realign after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The B6 Passat is one of my favourite cars to work on. They are a pleasure to do most routine repair and maintenance jobs on. The only thing that comes to mind that is awkward on them is changing rear brake discs.

OP, unfortunately you can't remove the headlight without removing the bumper first. If you change the bulbs in pairs and use good quality bulbs then that will extend the life of them. Otherwise just get a garage to change them. Should be possible to get them done for a tenner each or less. Let someone else take the pain :D

Advertisement