Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice buying V50

Options
  • 27-10-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm looking at buying either a 2012 volvo V50 or a 2011 bmw X1, both are diesel and look like good value.

We have very low milage, most driving is in aroud town on school runs, and a few weekend drives.

Any good aviece would be very appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All I can think of is don't buy the X1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Buy the V50, but don't get the D2... D3 is the only way to go with the immense weight of this thing. I've got the older 2.0D with 14hp less, and I'd say it's the minimum power! D2 and 1.6D Drive are rubbish...
    Bear in mind that pretty much all new diesels have the DPF installed, which means you'll have it clogged up in a matter of months if you're only going to do city drives. If it's only town runs, you're better off with a petrol car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The D2 is more than adaquate power wise for city driving. Won't get drawn into the another debate about buying a diesel for city driving or DPFs, etc though as you'll just be told it's blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Sobanek wrote: »
    Buy the V50, but don't get the D2... D3 is the only way to go with the immense weight of this thing. I've got the older 2.0D with 14hp less, and I'd say it's the minimum power! D2 and 1.6D Drive are rubbish...
    Bear in mind that pretty much all new diesels have the DPF installed, which means you'll have it clogged up in a matter of months if you're only going to do city drives. If it's only town runs, you're better off with a petrol car.

I disagree on the D2 and the 1.6 D2 is streets ahead of the older 1.6 engine and has adequate power.You will get great value on a new one as with the V40 now replacing the S40/V50 you wil get a great deal on the 2012 V50 as I beleive there still some left. Take a test drive and make your own mind up..

Cant comment on the BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Don't buy a diesel for the school run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Sobanek wrote: »

Been in a few V50's with the 1.6D older engine and it was grand! Not sure they're that heavy either...
    bazz26 wrote: »
    The D2 is more than adaquate power wise for city driving. Won't get drawn into the another debate about buying a diesel for city driving or DPFs, etc though as you'll just be told it's blown out of proportion.

Sly/unnecessary dig because somebody else disagreed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

dturpin wrote: »

We have very low milage, most driving is in aroud town on school runs, and a few weekend drives.

If you're doing low mileage why are you looking for a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,102 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.. cos everyone else is buying them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Because you can't find a petrol car for sale. D2 with the 6 speed box is fine. Older 1.6d with a 5 speed any is pretty slow.

Never really been close up to am X1, but thex don't seem to bad. Test drive both and in for whichever you prefer. Unloved will have more equipment standard but the BMW is likely to be the better drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

And what you think of new V60? Looks business IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

The D2 is more than adequate power wise for its size, more space in the boot than the X1 too, but not much. Will also come with more extra's in standard models.

DPF issues aren't as common as some people on here would like you to believe.

Given peoples attitudes toward petrol cars right now diesel is probably your only option anyway as (1) 2011 petrol models will not be that numerous (2) In the current climate buying a 2012 car with a petrol engine bigger than 1.4l is practically financial suicide, Unless there's a significant change in motor tax and tax on fuels be prepared to watch its value depreciate fast!

Advertisement