Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Loses Custody Battle To Insane Evil Child Killer

Options
  • 01-08-2011 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

http://www.stateintervention.com/2011/08/mother-loses-custody-battle-to-insane.html

You couldn't make this **** up! Seriously, this loving and innocent Mother has lost custody of her two sons to a nutcase who shot dead her own 2 daughters!!! WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD???!!!

New York Times; Fight To Keep Children Away From Killer Is Lost

SEATTLE (AP) — Trisha Conlon’s motherly instinct seems reasonable: she does not want her teenage boys living with a woman who shot and killed her own daughters in their sleep 20 years ago.

But that will happen on Sunday because of a bizarre and convoluted custody dispute with her former husband, John P. Cushing Jr., a retired Marine fighter pilot.

Mr. Cushing, who lives on Vashon Island south of Seattle, is back together with his first wife, Kristine, who used a .38-caliber handgun to kill their daughters, who were 4 and 8, at their home in Orange County, Calif., in 1991.

The killings shocked the well-to-do community of Laguna Niguel. Many wondered how Kristine Cushing — who seemed like a “super-mom,” ferrying the girls to music, soccer, dance and the orthodontist as her husband was on military assignments overseas — could snap so tragically. She blamed a bad reaction to Prozac for the killings, was found not guilty by reason of insanity and served nearly four years in a mental institution.

After a decade of psychiatric monitoring, Ms. Cushing received an unconditional release from the State of California in 2005, when the authorities determined that she posed no risk. But that has done little to soothe Ms. Conlon. After learning that Ms. Cushing had returned to Mr. Cushing’s home, Ms. Conlon went to court to alter the parenting plan for the two sons she had with him.

“I just don’t understand how a person could have marital relations with the person who killed their children,” Ms. Conlon said. “It just doesn’t make sense to me.”

But the court ruled against Ms. Conlon.

Commissioner Leonid Ponomarchuk of King County Superior Court said that since the boys had been spending time with Ms. Cushing since 2008 with no problems — even if it was unknown to Ms. Conlon — there was not evidence of a change in situation that would warrant a change of the parenting plan.

“I have to look at this dispassionately,” Commissioner Ponomarchuk said. “Would I ever want my children around her? I would say no. But that is an emotional reaction coming from a parent.”

In court declarations, Mr. Cushing has emphasized that Ms. Cushing was considered temporarily insane, and thus “there was no crime committed.”

“There was a horrible tragedy that resulted in the deaths of our two daughters,” Mr. Cushing wrote. Ms. Conlon and her lawyer, he added, “seem to feel that anyone who suffers from temporary insanity is incapable of recovering from that condition. Kristine’s doctors disagree.”

“Kristine M. Cushing is doing well,” he wrote. “She is busy, enjoys life and loves me and my sons.”

Mr. Cushing noted that he stored his guns at a friend’s home when he was not using them at a range. Ms. Cushing said in her own declaration that she loved Mr. Cushing’s sons “very much” and has “a good relationship with both of them.”

Ms. Conlon lives in Silverton, Ore. She and Mr. Cushing married in 1995 and divorced in 2004. Their older son is 14 and lives with her during the school year, while the younger son, 13, lives with Mr. Cushing. The boys are together during holidays and vacations, which they split between their parents.

Mr. Cushing remarried his first wife in 2005. Ms. Conlon suspected that Ms. Cushing might be back in Mr. Cushing’s life, but said she did not learn it for certain until two years later, when she received a call from a Washington State Child Protective Services worker. The worker told her that the agency had just received a call from Ms. Cushing’s therapist, who reported that she was living with children again.

Ms. Conlon threatened then to go to court to seek a change in the boys’ parenting plan, court records show. Instead, Mr. Cushing told her not to worry about it; Ms. Cushing had decided to divorce him and move out.

But the divorce was never finalized. Ms. Cushing moved back in. According to a court declaration by Mr. Cushing, that was in March 2008.

For the next three years, Ms. Conlon said, she had no idea her boys were spending time with Ms. Cushing. Mr. Cushing deliberately concealed that fact, she claimed, by instructing the boys to refer to their stepmother by a different name — “Mrs. M.”

Ms. Conlon said she became suspicious early this year that Ms. Cushing was back in the house. She arrived at Mr. Cushing’s home to drop off her older son for spring break and saw a painting by Ms. Cushing hanging on a wall. It was dated 2010.

She and her lawyer, Todd DeVallance, hired a private investigator, who confirmed it.

Ms. Conlon went to court in mid-June and was granted full custody of the boys for 30 days, at which time she would have to make a showing in court that the parenting plan should be permanently modified. The hearing was on Monday.

Mr. DeVallance and Ms. Conlon are appealing the decision to the King County Superior Court judge assigned to the case. But they cannot get a hearing until Aug. 25.

In the meantime, Ms. Conlon will drop the boys off with the Cushings on Sunday, she said.

http://www.stateintervention.com/2011/08/mother-loses-custody-battle-to-insane.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭amacca

anyone else find it ironic that OPs username is crazym0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

So the mother didn't lose a custody battle to a killer, as the thread title suggests, but rather the kids father moved a killer into the house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

crazym02 wrote: »
    WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD???!!!

Sensationalism.

So the mother didn't lose a custody battle to a killer, as the thread title suggests, but rather the kids father moved a killer into the house.

you have to admit

"mother loses custody battle to kids father who promised to divorce child killer wife but then didnt"

is a more cumbersome title.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

amacca wrote: »
    you have to admit

"mother loses custody battle to kids father who promised to divorce child killer wife but then didnt"

is a more cumbersome title.......

You're right punchiness first, honesty second, or maybe even nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

That's US justice for you. It's a hopelessly f***ed up country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Thomas828 wrote: »
    That's US justice for you. It's a hopelessly f***ed up country.
    Yeah, what were they thinking saying that a person with no history of violence who had a bad reaction to extremely powerful anti depressants and underwent a psychotic episode could ever be fit to rejoin society, those naive bastards :rolleyes:

Here's a better title OP
    "Pill muching baby killer court kidnaps kiddies with aid from flying killbot lover"

You're right punchiness first, honesty second, or maybe even nowhere.

tis just good journalism...no sorry, bad journalism...good business (yes that's it, good business)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭crazym02

Yeah, what were they thinking saying that a person with no history of violence who had a bad reaction to extremely powerful anti depressants and underwent a psychotic episode could ever be fit to rejoin society, those naive bastards :rolleyes:

Here's a better title OP
    "Pill muching baby killer court kidnaps kiddies with aid from flying killbot lover"

\oh yeah because killing your own children is ok as long you're on drugs???

• Advertisement

\oh yeah because killing your own children is ok as long you're on drugs???
    Oh for f@cks sake....

Oh for f@cks sake....

FFS is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brennaldo II

Insanity or not, She killed her 2 children and is now just free to wander around and live with more kids.. America never ceases to surprise me..

Insanity or not, She killed her 2 children and is now just free to wander around and live with more kids.. America never ceases to surprise me..

Totally agree, there is no excuse for murdering your own children. This world is a fecked up place.

FFS is right!

Woah, I gotta say you've got me. What a fool I was to expect to best you in an argument when obviously I wasn't counting on you completely disregarding all common sense and reason. I wish I could be blinded by irrational rage and indignation and fail to address the point that the woman in question had a psychotic episode related to prescription medication.

If only you were the prosecutor at the trial I would say she'd be swinging from the gallows by now. Foolish courts actually accepting the argument that powerful antidepressants may have had an impact upon her judgment and caused her to act in an irrational way that was completely out of character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Totally agree, there is no excuse for murdering your own children. This world is a fecked up place.

In fairness, a psychotic dillusional episode caused by a bad reaction to prescription medication is as close as you'll get to a good excuse.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

http://www.stateintervention.com/2011/08/mother-loses-custody-battle-to-insane.html She blamed a bad reaction to Prozac for the killings, was found not guilty by reason of insanity and served nearly four years in a mental institution.

After a decade of psychiatric monitoring, Ms. Cushing received an unconditional release from the State of California in 2005, when the authorities determined that she posed no risk.

The facts mam, just the facts.

State says she's no risk, legally, nothing can be done.

Excellent, let's all take these psychotic drugs and get away with murder then!

Prescribed mood altering drugs

Prescribed mood altering drugs

OK then, let's all take "mood altering" drugs and get away with murder then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 The Orphan

So, it's ok to murder other peoples?

The Orphan wrote: »
    So, it's ok to murder other peoples?

Of course

OK then, let's all take "mood altering" drugs and get away with murder then!
    Are you actively trying to be obtuse?
    As for getting away with murder because you are under the influence of mood altering drugs then I'm sorry to say that this is actually the case in Ireland, you are charged with manslaughter instead of murder.

While I don't agree with this for people who voluntarily that recreational drugs such as alcohol this case is not even close. The woman was being treated by a licenced medical professional who prescribed the medication for her, she had an adverse reaction to the mood altering meds that diminished her responsibility. She has no case to answer for, I would assume that she's no longer on Prozac so the possibility of this happening again is negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't think anyone takes them so they can get away with murder.

Anyway, this thread title is extremely sensationalist, and quite misleading.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Free Hat

I don't think anyone takes them so they can get away with murder.

Anyway, this thread title is extremely sensationalist, and quite misleading.

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Is there no "Sensationalist rag tripe" forum where all this shíte can be sent ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

So?

So stop trying to make the story out to be something it isn't. We have plenty of tabloids that do that sh*t already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Will no one think of the children?

Advertisement