Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League 1 + League 2 + BS premier and below!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

lincoln have gone a goal down. Looking good for Barnet at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

dooferoaks wrote: »
    lincoln have gone a goal down. Looking good for Barnet at the moment

Aye but the annoying thing is just a goal for Vale will put Barnet back in the drop zone. They must win their game but looking ok so far.

Lincoln 2 down now, just need Barnet to hold their lead

now 3 down

Glittering prize of 17th all but secure for the Cobblers, 2 nil against morecombe. 1000 Cobblers fans there. Imps looked doomed unless Port Vale can do anything in SIX minutes of injury time

Glittering prize of 17th all but secure for the Cobblers, 2 nil against morecombe. 1000 Cobblers fans there. Imps looked doomed unless Port Vale can do anything in SIX minutes of injury time

unbelievable Jeff!

ugly looking pitch invasion at sincel bank. Feel sorry for anyone going down so bad luck lincoln but delighted barnet stayed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Barnet pull off the great escape avoiding the drop out of the league,well done to them. Also well done to Wycombe Wanderers for getting promotion to League 1.

WP Barnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Survival :D:D- delighted especially for Kleanthous - he is building something special with regards to youth development at Underhill and relegation would mean the funds wouldn't be there to sustain it. Massive, massive result and I just hope we get the right manager for next year so we don't find ourselves in the same position again.

A word of course for Lincoln. I feel for them as I know what it's like. I always had a dislike for them after they kicked themselves back into the league the last time they got relegated to the conference in the mid eighties. Absolute thugs they were back then. Its hard to bear a grudge for 25 years though and after today it is banished forever

enjoy it with a few beers greendom!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well done to the supporters of the lower league clubs who have got the results they wanted and hard luck to those who haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Always had a soft spot for Lincoln. A few Forest players have gone on loan there over the years, mainly due to its close proximity i would guess. They've got a great little stadium there and i genuinely feet sorry for Chris Sutton in his first managerial job when left after only a handful of games. Money is tight there so was never going to be easy for Tilson to come in and lift them up the league. That said, winning none of their last eleven games in spectaculary bad! Would love to see them bounce straight back.

grenache wrote: »
    Would love to see them bounce straight back.

That's not going to be easy - it's a very tough league.

grenache wrote: »
    Always had a soft spot for Lincoln. A few Forest players have gone on loan there over the years, mainly due to its close proximity i would guess. They've got a great little stadium there and i genuinely feet sorry for Chris Sutton in his first managerial job when left after only a handful of games. Money is tight there so was never going to be easy for Tilson to come in and lift them up the league. That said, winning none of their last eleven games in spectaculary bad! Would love to see them bounce straight back.

They have one very nice stand there, never had any trouble there as an away fan, decent crowd there yesterday but it was only a fiver in, averaged three and a half thousand for the season. Financially, they are no better or worse than most League 2 clubs. Not surprised Chris Sutton got the boot, he had the worst record of any of their managers from recent times, I think he probably tried to play too much football with players that weren't up to it.

They will be favourites for the BS Prem, but of the 14 teams relegated from League Two since 2004, only three have got back up, and only Carlisle at the first time of asking (unless Luton do it this year). :eek: LINK

Might be Irish owners of Plymouth Argyle soon according to here, looks purely for its development potential around their ground though. Still, beggars cant be choosers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Not sure how I've missed this thread. I'm a Southend United fan. Was a season ticket holder until I moved to Ireland and get over whenever I can (not enough).

Was gutted to see Lincoln go down as Steve Tilson is an absolute legend in the eyes of most Southend fans. Still glad that Barnet stayed up though as that's one away game that's usually a highlight of the season.

Southend v Burton Albion: Draw for Burton enough, will probably see them out of the mix after this game. DRAW

Good prediction. I was at that game. It was bloody freezing.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Good prediction. I was at that game. It was bloody freezing.

It had to happen sometime!

Why did you part company with Tilson by the way?

• Advertisement

We had major financial issues which led to our relegation from League One. Players weren't getting paid and were able to rip up their contracts leaving us with only four players to start pre-season with. The perception is that the chairman got rid of Tilson in an attempt to scapegoat him. I think they'd fallen out over a lot of things and the chairman didn't fancy Tilly to build a new squad in three weeks.

We took more than 1,000 up to Lincoln a few months ago when we played them, most of whom were only there to thank Tilly. He's an absolute legend to us. Two promotions as a player, two promotions as a manager, two LDV finals, beating Man United and getting to the last eight of the League Cup. Top bloke as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Woo-hoo. We're into the Conference League Play Off Final against Luton.

AFC Wimbledon 6-1 Fleetwood (agg 8-1).

:D

irish-stew wrote: »
    Woo-hoo. We're into the Conference League Play Off Final against Luton.

AFC Wimbledon 6-1 Fleetwood (agg 8-1).

:D

NIce one - pretty decent statement of intent. Should be a great final

greendom wrote: »
    NIce one - pretty decent statement of intent. Should be a great final

Luton won theirs 5-1 agg. I'd say they're intending to go straight back up. Will be an interesting final if anything.

Expensive enough tickets for the final of BS play-off. Should be a very good crowd there but £41.25 after fees and postage is the cheapest Adult ticket available, seems a bit much to me and might discourage a few from going. Would imagine Luton will bring a few more than the Dons. I think Luton might be slight favourites despite finishing a few points below Wimbledon as they have had some success in a final in recent years.

Hopefully it will be a great game.

Look forward to seeing whoever gets up being hammered by the Cobbers (not likely!)

Where is the BS Playoff final? I presume, like the L1 & L2 final it has been moved from Wembley?

• Advertisement

Where is the BS Playoff final? I presume, like the L1 & L2 final it has been moved from Wembley?

City of Manchester Stadium.

irish-stew wrote: »
    City of Manchester Stadium.

That's bollocks. They should wait to see which teams are involved in it before assigning a stadium. It's not hard if they provisionally book one in Manchester, one in the Midlands and one in London. If Luton vs Wimbledon was at the Emirates they'd get a much bigger crowd.

That's bollocks. They should wait to see which teams are involved in it before assigning a stadium. It's not hard if they provisionally book one in Manchester, one in the Midlands and one in London. If Luton vs Wimbledon was at the Emirates they'd get a much bigger crowd.

I cant disagree with this more. 3 sets of planning involved for just the 1 final. Its like the JPT, they have that at Wembley and it could be Carlisle v Hudds say with a big trip on their hands. Fans will travel for such an event.

It will be disappointing if the crowd is down because of the travel, and the price of tickets, but I think the lure of a final and chance to get back into the Football League should make up for the journey.

This argument is why the Midlands need a big stadium, just off the M1, handy for all. Junction 15 is always my favourite :o

They have them at Wembley because the FA have a huge bill to pay still and also because it's Wembley. COMS isn't Wembley. It's no more historic than the Emirates and is a lot less historic than Villa Park.

It is three sets of planning but there's plenty of time to arrange it. They used to do it in the FA Cup Semi Final right up until the new Wembley re-opened.

Had Southend made it to the Play Offs and played Gillingham or Wycombe it would have been an absolute joke to have made us travel up to Old Trafford when we could have sold out grounds nearer.

Fortunately we avoided that problem by being **** for several months of the season :D

• Advertisement

They have them at Wembley because the FA have a huge bill to pay still and also because it's Wembley. COMS isn't Wembley. It's no more historic than the Emirates and is a lot less historic than Villa Park.

It is three sets of planning but there's plenty of time to arrange it. They used to do it in the FA Cup Semi Final right up until the new Wembley re-opened.

Had Southend made it to the Play Offs and played Gillingham or Wycombe it would have been an absolute joke to have made us travel up to Old Trafford when we could have sold out grounds nearer.

Fortunately we avoided that problem by being **** for several months of the season :D

All decent points mate but at the end of the day just suck it up. Us Northerners have a big trek down to Wembley for finals. Its all part of the day imo

cracker at the Galpharm. 3-3 in this match ,4-4 Agg second period of ET

There really ought to be a winner in this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bournemouth have been terrific, especially with 10 men...some great goals too from both sides.

Great game, Hudds win on pens. 2nd Leg of the playoffs really allowed for some great games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

that was a cracking game of football. the play-offs bring some amount of unpredicability and excitement.

The biggie for Luton and the Dons today, hopefully a great game, and great crowd, few worrying rumours that there will only be 20,000 there (12,000 Luton and 6,000 Dons with a few neutrals) because of the ticket pricing. Which might make for a sh*t atmosphere. Wimbledon slight favourites at the bookies but I fancy Luton might sneak it 2 - 1. The glory of a trip to Sixfields, Underhill, Roots Hall, Valley Parade and other mega stadia awaits ! :D

Final of League 1 play off final will be between Huddersfield and Peterborough. Peterborough beat the macDons including yet another Mackail-Smith goal, prolific at that level. Fingers toes and whatever else crossed for a Huddersfield win in the final.

League 2 play off final will be between Torquay and Stevenage, the teams who finished 6th and 7th. Shrewsbury will be kicking themselves, finished 11 points clear of Torquay and just a point off automatic promotion, but thems the play-offs, and I think they are great.

BS Play off final HT

Wimbledon 0 - 0 Luton Town

Youssef is a decent player, reminds me of a lower league Yaya Toure.

Wimbledon on top this last few minutes.

Edit: Looked like Luton should have had a Pen there 3 minutes left.

Edit2: Full time, nil nil, into Extra Time. End to end the last few minutes of normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This has been great game so far! I'm glad there's another 30 minutes to go now.

Surprised by the commitment from both teams to keep the ball on the ground and pass it around. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement

Penalties on the way

Congrats to Wimbledon, welcome back to league football.

We're back baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Well done Wimbledon. They were probably the better team over the course of the game.

Hard luck Luton :( They got so close. Such a hard way to go out.

Overall the technique and the approach from both teams in this game was very refreshing to see. This was really attractive football. A pleasure to watch.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Overall the technique and the approach from both teams in this game was very refreshing to see. This was really attractive football. A pleasure to watch.

Give me that over Barcelona V Real Madrid any day of the week. No fannying around, just good, hard and committed football.

Is there any hope that Wimbledon might ever actually get to play in Wimbledon again? Merton Council have seemed to be so anti-football over the years. Sharing with Kingstonian is not ideal.

I think there is a lot of good will for the Dons, and hopefully they will have a sedate, settling in next season. Luton will be there or there abouts in the Blue Square Prem next year, will be interesting to see if they still average 6000 again next year, head and shoulders above any other teams attendance in that league and a lot of league 2 too.

Is there any hope that Wimbledon might ever actually get to play in Wimbledon again? Merton Council have seemed to be so anti-football over the years. Sharing with Kingstonian is not ideal.

I think there is a lot of good will for the Dons, and hopefully they will have a sedate, settling in next season. Luton will be there or there abouts in the Blue Square Prem next year, will be interesting to see if they still average 6000 again next year, head and shoulders above any other teams attendance in that league and a lot of league 2 too.

Technically Kingstonians share with them.

:p

There was talk of them moving to Wimbledon Stadium (greyhounds/stockcar track), about a five minute walk from Plough Lane. But it would require a lot of work to the stands, and the surface to make it suitable for football, and negoiations with the other parties that currently own/use the venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Delighted for Wimbledon. Not too long now before they're playing MK Dons.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Delighted for Wimbledon. Not too long now before they're playing MK Dons.

They were drawn against each other in this years FA cup, assuming Wimbledon won their replay.

• Advertisement

Milton Keynes should just drop the Dons bit of their name now, its served its purporse. I don't hold anything against them now, despite the fact they never had to crawl up the football pyramid like teams like Burton and Crawley and Stevenage have had to (and now Wimbledon of course).

To try and be fair to Winkelman, he is ridiculously enthusiastic about football and Milton Keynes in general, and the Wimbledon whos league spot they took, was more or less dead after being killed by mismanagement.

Having a team in MK didn't do Northampton any favours, support wise, but its history now. I think it will be a few years before Wimbledon get into the same division as MK but who knows, financially I think MK might be on shaky ground.

Advertisement