Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW GOLF

• 28-10-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am just on the lookout for a VW Golf 1.4 petrol 2003/04 anything i need to look out for in particular.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Oil burning and just general unreliability really. Those 1.4 engines are also horrendously underpowered too. The poverty spec unreliable underpowered 1.4 Golf is without a doubt one of the most overrated cars by the general public in Ireland.

Oh and the gearboxes are made from chocolate too. It never fails to amaze me how popular VWs are despite their lack of reliability for a nation that is obsessed with cars being reliable.

Buy one with a bigger engine if you must have a Golf, otherwise buy a Corolla or a Focus (but with at least a 1.6) or an Astra, they'll all be much more reliable as well as being nicer cars (if you can get over the badge snobbery).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

What is it with people going on about these 1.4 cars being underpowered and advising the bigger engines. They are perfectly good enough for most people to normal stuff like going to the shops, kids to school etc. Granted you wont set speed records in them but they will go fast enough to get you points in any speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I own one, wouldn't pull you outta bed as the car is too heavy, but I ain't a boy racer and once it gets to speed its grand.

No real reliability problems up to 130k.

Maybe I was one of the lucky ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Haha so only boy racers need to be able to overtake, see the Convoy thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I overtake all the time in my 1.4 Golf. And safely as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

got my first car last February which is a 2004 mk5 golf 1.4. Absolute dream of a car, it's a comfortline and has an inbuilt sat nav, cruise control and a few other fancy bits n bobs so it's well above the standard poverty spec. Once it gets up to speed it's fine and it's also decent on fuel. Flew through its NCT in the summer and there's 120k miles on the clock.

Moral of the story is they're not all piles of ****e.

Advertisement