Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which camp are you in ? muscle vs nimble

Options
  • 25-11-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Says it in the title - are you a Buick or a Lotus kinda person ?

Camaro or an MX5 maybe ?

give your answer and a why maybe.

Comments

I'd love a lotus, wouldn't fancy an MX5 and am tempted by diesel Chrysler 300c yokes so I dunno really.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd rather be a lion than a mouse. Big V8 petrol Gran Turismo for me please and give me a few empty Autobahns :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

That's hard, I would absolutely love a mk1 mx5 and I have always wanted the bandits trans-am since I was a young boy.

Can I have, if there is such thing, a nimble muscle car and would the v8 m5, vxr8 qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah irony lol. I am a bit of bouth? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Big V8 for me if I could have the choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

It's all about the corners. Mini Cooper JCW please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Bit of both; I think I'd always have to have 2 cars to keep me sane.

Or I could compromise and just go with the Maserati GT...if I HAD to...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Big N' Boisterous all the way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lads - I am clearly talking about the ethos of the car rather than the car itself so please don't be put off by my mentioning of any particular car.

personally I am in the fast'n'nimble camp - I love the older stuff particularly the older lancias etc or the Honda s800 that put quality engineering above brute force. However I firmly believe if you don't like the burble of a big bent 8 you've no business calling yourself a car man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Add lightness rather than more power. Nimble for me please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

RobAMerc wrote: »
    lads - I am clearly talking about the ethos of the car rather than the car itself so please don't be put off by my mentioning of any particular car.

personally I am in the fast'n'nimble camp - I love the older stuff particularly the older lancias etc or the Honda s800 that put quality engineering above brute force. However I firmly believe if you don't like the burble of a big bent 8 you've no business calling yourself a car man.
    I agree with this completely. I haven't driven too many older stuff, but there's something fantastic about the mechanical feel and effort put into driving something from 30 years ago. Something that feels built and constructed rather than produced and assembled.
    So I'd go for nimble/mechanical type by and large, but you can't have too many cylinders or too much bhp!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Big engined for me, but depends on the car too. Not too attracted to big American muscle cars at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Well, I've got and Exige S1 and if I won the € rollover tonight I get a nice Evo 9 RS and an Ultima as well and maybe a Cayman for a sensible car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

But these exist:
    Nissan-GTR-R35-Vspec-862440.jpeg

Why can't it be both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Nimble please, I want to go around corners :)

This is tempting though, even if it doesn't go round corners....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Power...
    (said in Jeremy Clarkson accent ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Ultima Can Am was mentioned - a light car with a stonking V8. Even lighter is the Gardner Douglas T70. 350-700+ bhp V8 and around 920 kg. Looks pretty nimble to me in the below video and the sound from that v8 :eek:. I believe that this is a road legal car.

Another T70 in this video filmed from a Caterham R500. Two seriously quick cars. Check out how big and clumsy the Nissan GTR looks as they go either side of him (in fairness to the GTR driver he may not have been "trying")

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Caterham R500

now you are talking ! although I think this may have a foot in both camps as its got a stonking power to weight ratio which negates the need for a big lump up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Atom V8? 900bhp/tonne.

dgt wrote: »
    Nimble please, I want to go around corners :)

This is tempting though, even if it doesn't go round corners....

I wonder how long that lasted?

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    Atom V8? 900bhp/tonne.
    Every time I see a review on the V8 Atom, the same thought pops into my head:
    "I wonder what it would be like if you turbocharged it?"

Advertisement