Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

all weather tyres

Options
  • 02-11-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

hi all

Are the normal tyres we have been sold here in Ireland up till now Summer tyres or all weather tyres ?

What are the advantages of all weather rather than summer/winter setup bar the obvious ?

Ta

Comments

Normal ones are predominantly summer tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RoverJames wrote: »

Not necesserily.
    In 70's and 80's vast majority of tyres were all weather tyres, as winter tyres were extremely rare.
    In 90's situation changed, and on the continent most people started using two sets (summer + winter). Since then probably most tyres in Ireland were summer tyres, but there were all season as well.
    F.e. last car I bought was on a set of all season tyres, with M+S marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RobAMerc wrote: »
    What are the advantages of all weather rather than summer/winter setup bar the obvious ?

Obly advantage I can see is cost.
    Anything else would be worse with all season tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

RobAMerc wrote: »
    hi all

Are the normal tyres we have been sold here in Ireland up till now Summer tyres or all weather tyres ?

Ta

Summers.

None bar the obvious. Jack of all trades master of none. Not as good in winter as winters, not as good in summer as summers.

........ Not as good in winter as winters, not as good in summer as summers.

I'd say not as good when it's over 10deg celcius ish than summers. Summers are hunky dorey for most of the Irish winter as 'tis usually fairly mild :)
    CiniO wrote: »
    Not necesserily.................Since then probably most tyres in Ireland were summer tyres, but there were all season as well.............

That's why I said predominantly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

CiniO wrote: »
    Not necesserily.
    In 70's and 80's vast majority of tyres were all weather tyres, as winter tyres were extremely rare.
    In 90's situation changed, and on the continent most people started using two sets (summer + winter). Since then probably most tyres in Ireland were summer tyres, but there were all season as well.
    F.e. last car I bought was on a set of all season tyres, with M+S marking.

But this isnt the 80s...!?
    Aside from the odd SUV tyre, virtually everything else is a Summer. Even with supposed generic "All Season" tyres, the M+S marking is largely meaningless and completely unregulated (hence the Canadian background to the Mountain Peak symbol).

Unrelated but my pet peeve is people referring to everything other than Winters as "All Weather" or All Season tyres when they are designed and marketed as a Summer (/Wet) season tyre.

Actual dedicated All Seasons can be quite good, but they are rare.

Unrelated but my pet peeve is people referring to everything other than Winters as "All Weather" or All Season tyres when they are designed and marketed as a Summer (/Wet) season tyre.

Mine is folk reckoning Summers are for dry weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Mine is folk reckoning Summers are for dry weather :)

So what do they think are Rain suitable tyres then? Sounds like an opening for the tyre companies to have Autumn and Spring tyres too... :D

Advertisement