Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Go

Options
  • 23-07-2015 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi, I recently upgraded my Sky box but don't have multi room. I was wondering about buying a second hand xbox or playstation 3 and using this in another room to access sky go. Does anyone have any idea how successful this would be?

My other option is to convert my old sky plus box to get freesat, etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

All in all wrote: »
    Hi, I recently upgraded my Sky box but don't have multi room. I was wondering about buying a second hand xbox or playstation 3 and using this in another room to access sky go. Does anyone have any idea how successful this would be?

My other option is to convert my old sky plus box to get freesat, etc.

Thanks.

When using sky go app with a ps4, you need to have a multiroom sky sub or pay an extra fee for a 'sky go extra' sub. I don't know if a ps3 or 360 is the same.

Edit: you might not need a PS+ subscription (or Xbox equivalent) for it to work , I'm not sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    When using sky go app with a ps4, you need to have a multiroom sky sub or pay an extra fee for a 'sky go extra' sub. I don't know if a ps3 or 360 is the same.

You would also have to see if you need a PS+ subscription (or Xbox equivalent) for it to work , I'm not sure on that.

Thanks for that - doesn't look like it is a runner so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Found this:

http://help.sky.com/articles/watch-tv-from-sky-on-sony-playstation?country=ie

"You need a PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 games console, an active PlayStation Network account, your Sky iD and Sky Go Extra on your Sky account to sign into the app."

Maybe you don't need a PS+ sub? But you'll still need multiroom or pay the extra fee for sky go extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Xbox 360 will definitely work and you definitely don't need a multiroom sub. You get 2 devices with your normal subscription and one of those could be used on a 360.

Berty44 wrote: »
    Xbox 360 will definitely work and you definitely don't need a multiroom sub. You get 2 devices with your normal subscription and one of those could be used on a 360.

Thanks - do you know what the quality is normally like. Just saw certain channels - bbc/rte, etc are excluded so may not be a runner for me.

• Advertisement

I don't have it operational myself but I have seen it working at a neighbours and it was very watchable, not top HD quality but if you have decent internet it is good.

RTE player is an app on Xbox.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you need an Xbox gold sub ( you can get them for about €40 pa ), you used to need one but I think this has now changed, not entirely sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Never used it on a console. On a laptop, quality is variable depending on a number of factors - your connection speed, network traffic etc. It will adapt depending on these, at its best it would be SD broadcast quality but you won't always get that. One other thing about it is that it doesn't seem to cope well with fast moving images.

You won't get any terrestrial channels apart from Channel 4 on it, though you may depending on your subscription have access to some TV3 on demand content.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm sure that's changed and a Sky Go Extra subscription or a multiroom subscription is now needed also.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'm sure that's changed and a multiroom sub is now needed also.

AFAIK you automatically get 2 devices if you have a normal subscription, if you have multiroom you get 4 devices ( I have multiroom and get to use 4 devices ).

AFAIK you automatically get 2 devices if you have a normal subscription, if you have multiroom you get 4 devices ( I have multiroom and get to use 4 devices ).

Hi - thanks yes confirmed with sky that with a regular subscription you do automatically get 2 devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

That changed 29th july 2014. You now need SkyGo extra to watch on a games console:
    Quote from Sky last year:

"We wanted to let you know that from 29 July you'll no longer be able to access Sky Go using your Sky Go compatible games console. But don't worry, you'll still be able to access Sky Go on your games console after this date if you sign up for Sky Go Extra."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yes but for anyone without multiroom you still cannot watch Sky on an XBOX 360 without the Sky Go Extra subscription.

My previous post should have read "Sky Go Extra or multiroom" and has been ammended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

sky go extra works great on ps3 but im not gonna pay 6 quid a month extra for the odd time Id use it

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Ill share a secret with you all.

10 months ago i called sky and ordered a multi room card for my spare old box in my bedroom.

I was told the multiroom would only activate on my bill after i activate the card which i can do online or via phoning sky. They also told me i was now eligible for the skygo on the consoles.

I decided to refrain from activating the multiroom card as i didn't want a higher bill as once you activate it then its tied into a one year contract and to this day i still have sky go on the phones/tablets and on our PS4 and a PS3 all for no extra cost :)

I find the quality on the PS3 and PS4 to be excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Ill share a secret with you all.

10 months ago i called sky and ordered a multi room card for my spare old box in my bedroom.

I was told the multiroom would only activate on my bill after i activate the card which i can do online or via phoning sky. They also told me i was now eligible for the skygo on the consoles.

I decided to refrain from activating the multiroom card as i didn't want a higher bill as once you activate it then its tied into a one year contract and to this day i still have sky go on the phones/tablets and on our PS4 and a PS3 all for no extra cost :)

I find the quality on the PS3 and PS4 to be excellent!
    and can you add 4 Sky Go devices or just two?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

and can you add 4 Sky Go devices or just two?

4 :), 2 play stations, 1 iPad and 1 iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

4 :)

Nice trick sir ! Hope it lasts

Advertisement