Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is cylinder 1?

• 21-05-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi All,
    On a 2005 C180, which is cylinder 1 and which is 4? I'd like to check the coil, plugs etc on cylinder 3.?

Im getting a clunky engine, and 2 several warnings on the ODB, most significant being
    P0303, Powertrain Cylinder 3 misfire
    P0130, O2 sensor circuit (bank 1 sensor 1)

Any recommendations for some self diagnosis of the problem ?

Cheers.
    Gerry in Leixlip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cylinder 1 is at the front, 4 is at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Did you clear the codes. Is there an engine light on?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FishD

Sorry, was not clear in my post.

Shaking of the engine started, then the engine light went on.
    The codes above are what is showing when i checked with the ODB.
    Have not cleared the codes, or driven the car since.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Cylinder 1 is at the water pump/alternator/drive belts end of the engine, the end furthest away from the flywheel/gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

For the misfire, try disconnecting the coils one at a time. With a faulty one you shouldn't notice any drop in revs when you disconnect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

FishD wrote: »
    Hi All,
    On a 2005 C180, which is cylinder 1 and which is 4? I'd like to check the coil, plugs etc on cylinder 3.?

Im getting a clunky engine, and 2 several warnings on the ODB, most significant being
    P0303, Powertrain Cylinder 3 misfire
    P0130, O2 sensor circuit (bank 1 sensor 1)

Any recommendations for some self diagnosis of the problem ?

Cheers.
    Gerry in Leixlip

Try swapping no. 2 and no. 3 coil packs, clear the fault codes, road test the car if possible and see does the fault code follow the coil pack.

Highly unlikely to get coil pack trouble on that particular engine, its more likely sticky exhaust valves.
    Hope that helps

Justin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

nd wrote: »
    For the misfire, try disconnecting the coils one at a time. With a faulty one you shouldn't notice any drop in revs when you disconnect it.

He read it with an OBD reader and it told him which one the misfire was in :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Yes, since he wasn't certain which one was 3. Disconnecting one at a time will tell you if one is likely faulty regardless of cylinder.

cheers guys.
    Ok
    1.I tried disconnecting both 3 and 4 coils, and for three no change, 4 dip in revs. so something amiss with coil 3.
    2. swapped over the coils (3 and 4), then reset code faults and started. Engine running smooth, and no fault.

Still suspect coil from 3, so have ordered 1, and will replace it. Will post update on any change

Gerry

I have replaced the coil on No3. But the problem is still arising intermittantly. Its only when i start the engine cold, and not every time. If i let it warm up a bit, and restart the engine, it starts to run smooth. EMU showing the same no3 misfire error. Thinking of leaving it to a garage at this stage, as if its a sticky valve, its not something i could test for.

Any further thoughts welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

FishD wrote: »
    I have replaced the coil on No3. But the problem is still arising intermittantly. Its only when i start the engine cold, and not every time. If i let it warm up a bit, and restart the engine, it starts to run smooth. EMU showing the same no3 misfire error. Thinking of leaving it to a garage at this stage, as if its a sticky valve, its not something i could test for.

Any further thoughts welcome.

Are you still getting the no 3 misfire code or the one for the O2 sensor?

Hi,
    The EMU light is off but the codes are still there.
    The misfire code is there along with
    P2024, (EVAP fuel vapor temperature sensor control)
    201a and 201b.

o2 sensor code is gone now.

Ive cleared the faults, driven the car for a few miles, and
    all appears fine. engine running smooth, and good power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

french cars n1 usually is n4 as in normal cars, so first from gearbox side.

Advertisement