Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish 23 Man Squad - The Run In

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

What should the starting X1 be?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Someone should ask him about Harte :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Aidric wrote: »
    Jesus Tony, insensitive much?

He has an anti-trap agenda, the new dunphy if you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Awful questioning here, the kids father has cancer, football comes a distant second for him now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Desperate question that
    El Spearo wrote: »
    shocking question

What did he ask ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

No need to keep going on about McCarthy like that, knobish questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

WTF?

Did you look at other options?

His father has cancer ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

To think Ciaran Clark, Wilson, Best, Hoolahan and Pilkington are nowhere near and you see thet stand-by list in comparison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Jayob10 wrote: »
    is their a deadline to name the squad?

When will other nations name theres?

I was under the impression that all nations would announce their 23 man squads today aswell

May 29th is the final deadline date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jayob10 wrote: »
    is their a deadline to name the squad?

When will other nations name theres?

I was under the impression that all nations would announce their 23 man squads today aswell

Germany and Holland announced theirs today I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

double GG wrote: »
    What should the starting X1 be?
    Realisticly

Given
    O'Shea-Dunne-Ledger-Ward
    McGeady-Whelan-Andrews-Duff
    Keane-Doyle

That would be my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

jaykay74 wrote: »
    What did he ask ?

basically did trap and mcarthy look at options to make the situation work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Jesus Trap I reckon the Wigan fans won't agree with you that they are going down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Didn't like Ken Early asking him about the left back question.

And what a stupid question to ask about McCarthy.
    shocking question
    Desperate question that

i'm surprised we didn't hear a "ffs tony" from one of the other journos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jaykay74 wrote: »
    What did he ask ?

In summary if Trap tried a workaround solution for McCarthy, along the lines of him joining up with the squad later on after spending some time with his father.

Toto Schillaci hasn't a patch on McClean

What's the craic with friendlies before the tournament? How many? Is there any realistic way (bar injury) that he'll sway from the team that lostboy posted?

Would prefer Kelly RB and O'Shea LB myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

"boom boom boom score!"

I give you the Ireland manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

basically did trap and mcarthy look at options to make the situation work

Yes, and completely disregard how ill the father is, what their relationship is and what psychological state McCarthy will be in during a very difficult time.

Really his decision should be respected and not questioned in any way, it's completely his choice.

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Realisticly

Given
    O'Shea-Dunne-Ledger-Ward
    McGeady-Whelan-Andrews-Duff
    Keane-Doyle

That would be my bet.

Wouldn't be confident that Doyle will be starting, Walters made a big impact against Estonia and Doyle has been rubbish this year

theteal wrote: »
    i'm surprised we didn't hear a "ffs tony" from one of the other journos

or this at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Stephen Ireland for the future :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

buyer95 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be confident that Doyle will be starting, Walters made a big impact against Estonia and Doyle has been rubbish this year
    Yeah Doyle has been shocking but it looks like Trap will start him. I would prefer Walters ahead of Doyle.

Yeah Doyle has been shocking but it looks like Trap will start him. I would prefer Walters ahead of Doyle.

Long is the man but I can't see him leaving Doyle out. Although Walters offers great workrate and power

Yeah but if he doesnt show some form in the warm ups, then the decision will be taken out of his hands, Long would be a viable alternative too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

did he say "oder" instead of "or"? That's funny if German is slipping into his English. :)

I'd prefer Long anyday. He was on fire before Hutton assaulted him this year

Yeah but if he doesnt show some form in the warm ups, then the decision will be taken out of his hands, Long would be a viable alternative too.

How many warm up games are there? I get the impression he's only using them for game time. Think his starting 11 is already selected bar injury

398064_Ireland.jpg

don't think paddypower would give great odds on this being the starting lineup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

So he basically just said that he thinks we can't play with one striker and either Hoolahan or Ireland in the hole behind. We're better off with our two strong central midfielders, two wingers and two strikers. That's fair enough I guess.

• Advertisement

Trap's interviews are top class :D

Can't believe Steven Ireland is being mentioned repeatedly as one for the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

kitakyushu wrote: »
    did he say "oder" instead of "or"? That's funny if German is slipping into his English. :)

he's not the first, i crafted a sweet amalgamation of span-irish for my LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Highlight of the conference

"I said to Sandro (Del Piero), go on pitch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trap's interviews are top class :D

I would say the complete opposite

398064_Ireland.jpg

don't think paddypower would give great odds on this being the starting lineup

Not a hope is Gibson getting the nod ahead of Andrews, notwithstanding his form with Everton. Andrews was awesome against Estonia, remember the header which gave us the 1-0 with 1o mins gone.

Not a hope is Gibson getting the nod ahead of Andrews, notwithstanding his form with Everton. Andrews was awesome against Estonia, remember the header which gave us the 1-0 with 1o mins gone.

i think i kinda lost the run of myself there alright...just always thought gibson can offer a lot of threat from further out with his peg.

something to bring on at least.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I would say the complete opposite

Some of his decisions send me up the wall but honestly I really do like listening to him. He has a certain charisma imo. I would probably be in a minority though.

btw did he just say they're training in Montecatini?

i think i kinda lost the run of myself there alright...just always thought gibson can offer a lot of threat from further out with his peg.

something to bring on at least.

Oh yeah for sure, he is our best long distance shooter and probably best passer, but Andrews goal and performances in those 2 games makes it highly unlikely that Trap would change the midfield. Gibson could play his way into the team though with good performances off the bench

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Statement from James McCarthy
    In a statement issued by the Football Association of Ireland, McCarthy said:

"I have made the very difficult decision to withdraw my name from selection from the Euro 2012 squad following the diagnosis of my father with cancer and an ongoing requirement for treatment.

"I have discussed this with the manager. He was very understanding and I thank him sincerely for that.

"I take this opportunity to re-affirm my complete commitment to playing for the Republic of Ireland.

"It is a huge honour and source of great pride for me and my family.

"Despite not being present, I would like to wish the manager and my team-mates every success at the tournament and hope that Irish fans can understand the reason for my decision at this difficult time."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Gutted for McCarthy, makes his performances over the last few weeks even more impressive.

Apart from his omission, realistically I am 100% happy with that squad (provided there are no injuries!). Guys like Clark, Wilson, Hoolahan have all played well this season but I don't think they ever really stood a chance of getting a call up, Hoolahan in particular due to his position, which we don't really cater for in our team.

Roll on next month, I am really looking forward to seeing how we get on. Come on YBIG!

He has an anti-trap agenda, the new dunphy if you will
    I can't put my finger on it but Tony O Donoghue has always rubbed me up the wrong way.

He has the smug air of man who enjoys emanating horrible farts at the most inopportune moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Did anyone catch what Trap said that he was apologising for and said no offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Did anyone catch what Trap said that he was apologising for and said no offence?

Was it when he made a remark about friends of Andy Reid being in the room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I can't put my finger on it but Tony O Donoghue has always rubbed me up the wrong way.

He has the smug air of man who enjoys emanating horrible farts at the most inopportune moments.

I know this is kind of a dick thing to say but I used to work in a shop that he would frequent and he was an absolute prick to all the staff there any time he came in. The "smell of his own farts" analogy was used on numerous occasions. Belittled the staff constantly.

Something about Andy Reid, and the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Really sucks about McCarthy and Coleman not going as of now. People saying Coleman hasn't had a good season, well you could say that about half the people on the plane and they don't have the potential to play near Coleman's on form game.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I know this is kind of a dick thing to say but I used to work in a shop that he would frequent and he was an absolute prick to all the staff there any time he came in. The "smell of his own farts" analogy was used on numerous occasions. Belittled the staff constantly.
    I can't find it on its own on youtube but his post match interview after the 3-2 defeat to russia was an absolute disgrace. You'll find it on the documentary called 'the cat is in the bag'. If anyone said that to any native english speaker they would have left the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Best wishes to McCarthy's father and the rest of the family. Sad stuff.

The squad and back-up is pretty much as expected. No particular surprises.

Thought it was class of Trap the way made sure that it was clear he was not joking about Andy Reid and meant no offence when all the journos started laughing when his name came up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

For Coleman to have made the squad he would have needed a McClean level season to break into Trap's plans sadly which is annoying considering Doyle will probably start all the games despite a terrible season for Wolves. On that same note don't expect Gibson or McClean to start ahead of the any of the midfield.

Advertisement