Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'd be amazed if this does happen but I'd be happy enough to see it go through, there are better young players out there who'd demand far less money and could have sell on value in a few years.

Same reason I wouldn't really want Celtic to pay big money to bring Bellamy back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I see the Rangers fans did themselves proud again last night in Stirling. Why anyone would play them on July 12th in the first place is beyond me.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14120006.stm

Just how serious are you guys after Kenny Miller? It shows a serious lack of imagination on the part of McCoist and would be a pretty big gamble, Miller had such an amazing spell before leaving last season that he realistically can't been expected to match it another time around, in all likelihood he will be less impressive so it would just be a question of how much less. There would be serious pressure and expectation on his shoulders which he didn't really have last season and he have to expect to at least match the wages of top earners at the club.

On top of that he's approaching 32 so his one big asset, his pace, will progressively begin begin to deteriorate and should his return spell flop, Rangers would have a highly paid 32 year old on their books on presumably a decent length contract who would extremely hard to sell on. Seems to me like a risk on a player who was a great goalscorer for a period of just 5 months out of a total of about 7 or 8 years in Scottish football.

I'm happy enough seeing his name mentioned rather than Whyte promising to stump up the cash for Goodwillie.
    Why not? Proven goal scorer in the SPL. Can easily bang them in. Would be an excellent signing. Him and Jelavic :cool:

I see the Rangers fans did themselves proud again last night in Stirling. Why anyone would play them on July 12th in the first place is beyond me.:rolleyes:
    With your recent antics down under, i would not go all moral. To be honest, that is all Celtic fans seem to do these days. If it isn't moaning about the refs or some conspiracy theory, it is moaning about some Rangers fans acting stupid.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Why not? Proven goal scorer in the SPL. Can easily bang them in. Would be an excellent signing. Him and Jelavic :cool:

He had one phenomenal patch of goal scoring in his entire 8 year career in Scotland, for the other 7.5 years the persistent criticism leveled at him was that he didn't score enough, 5 goals in 15 games for Buraspor showing a fairly decent if unremarkable tally for a striker on £50,000 p/w.

Now indeed its possible that he could return to Rangers and match or improve on his scoring form that he left on but the chances of that happening are remote, he caught everyone by surprise last season...not even Rangers fans expect him to score that easily. That element of surprise is gone and all eyes will be on him, if he goes a few games without scoring the fans will get on his back.

Personally speaking, if Rangers are to sign a striker, I'd be pretty happy if it was Miller as opposed to someone like Goodwillie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What they do now?

With your recent antics down under, i would not go all moral. To be honest, that is all Celtic fans seem to do these days. If it isn't moaning about the refs or some conspiracy theory, it is moaning about some Rangers fans acting stupid.

Antics down under???? A few lads running onto the pitch is it? And i am not 'moaning', in the context of the noises coming from the Scottish establishment re sectarianism at the football, to have a game threatened to be abandoned cos of sectarian singing from your fans is pretty serious is it not? Now, i do accept that it may have been an over reaction by the police, im open to the other side of the story.....

Dempsey wrote: »
    What they do now?

Second XI friendly V Striling and the and the heroes singing their party songs, cops wanted to call it off at half time

Second XI friendly V Striling and the and the heroes singing their party songs, cops wanted to call it off at half time

I'm not sure this is true, I heard that a Stirling Albion official explained that the cops only advised delaying the restart of the second half due to some fire crackers being set off and that there were no reports of sectarian singing.

I'm not sure this is true, I heard that a Stirling Albion official explained that the cops only advised delaying the restart of the second half due to some fire crackers being set off and that there were no reports of sectarian singing.

Yes actually i think your right about cops etc but on the singing....

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/262290-rangers-fans-warned-over-sectarian-singing-during-pre-season-friendly/
    Police have accused Rangers fans of singing sectarian songs during a pre-season friendly against Stirling Albion.

Central Scotland Police said the “disappointing” behaviour by a section of the Ibrox side’s support on Tuesday night had taken place during the first half of the game.

The police force said the behaviour of a section of the Rangers support had acted “to tarnish the name of their club”.

Stirling Albion issued a warning to a section of the Rangers fans over the singing during the first half of the match, before a further announcement relating to the behaviour at half time.

A spokeswoman for Central Scotland Police said: “There was sectarian singing from a section of the visiting support, leading to warnings from the club [Stirling Albion] during the first half.

“Towards the end of the half there was discussion between police and the club about pausing the match to allow further warnings to be delivered.

“It was decided to wait a short time and deliver such warnings at half time. This was done by the club. At no time did the police recommend that the match be called off.”

Despite concerns over singing, no arrests were made at the game, which the young Rangers side won 1-0.

This was due to the fact that once Stirling Albion issued a warning, and the police presence at the match was increased in the second half, there was a "reduction" in the behaviour.

The Central Scotland Police spokeswoman added: “Increased policing and stewarding during the second half led to a reduction in this behaviour.

“The focus of police was to ensure the safety of all people attending and no arrests were made at the time.

“Events will, however, be subject to further review including liaison with clubs via the Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland football sub group. It is disappointing that so-called fans have seen fit to disrupt this event and to tarnish the name of their club in this way.”

A crowd of over 1200 turned out for the match, which was a testimonial for former Stirling Albion owner and chairman of 17 years, Peter McKenzie.

• Advertisement

Are you seriously putting people complaining about referees in the same boat as sectarianism and bigotry?

Anyways, what Celtic do at the other side of the world gives no tolerance to sectarianism/bigotry in Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Cops are lying, Stirling themselves said nothing sectarian was sung.

The only reason the cops went near the Rangers fans were because a small group of Union Bears let of some flares pre-game.

There was indeed an announcement made before the game, but that was just a general announcement as are given before most games these days.

It has been questioned by fans as to what sectarian songs were sung, and they have yet to receive a reply.
    They're just making it up as they go along, one of them probably decided Rule Britannia is sectarian 'because he heard it on the radio'.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Cops are lying, Stirling themselves said nothing sectarian was sung.

The only reason the cops went near the Rangers fans were because a small group of Union Bears let of some flares pre-game.

As for 'done themselves proud', I see 14 Celtic fans were arrested down under.
    Right, so you automatically dismiss what the police say? Interesting. have you a link to where Striling have said that? Didnt hear about the arrests down under, wehat they arrested for?

Right, so you automatically dismiss what the police say? Interesting. have you a link to where Striling have said that? Didnt hear about the arrests down under, wehat they arrested for?

Paul Goodwin, Stirling Albion press officer:
    Given the conflicting reports in various media outlets concerning the activities at last nights game, I called Stirling Albion to try and get to the bottom of said reports and managed to have a quite lengthy conversation with their (very helpful) press officer Paul Goodwin.

Mr Goodwin, who is happy to be quoted, had the following to say in response;

• There was, to his knowledge, no sectarian singing at all last night. Indeed, he only recognised two of the songs, those being The Sash and Rule Brittania.

• There were announcements made over the tannoys - Police messages that if sectarian singing was indulged in then arrests would be made. There were NO arrests.

• Mr Goodwin stated he felt the announcements were made as a standard warning and not in response to singing.

• A number of journalists were keen to clarify the events last night (Scotsman and BBC amongst them), with one journalist in particular 'tweeting' from the stadium. Mr Goodwin could not determine who that was and so could not confirm the name of the journalist.

• Mr Goodwin was at pains to offer his thanks to The Rangers support at large and how they contributed to a great atmosphere at the game. Indeed, he went on to offer his thanks to the club itself for helping Stirling Albion with this match.

He was keen to have these responses made available to Rangers supporters via our websites, then invited me to email him so he could write something for publication concerning the events. How refreshing - I can't really exaggerate how helpful and positive the gentleman was in responding to my questions.

As for the arrests:

http://twitter.com/#!/VictoriaPolice

As for the arrests:

Fair enough re the singing, its a bit odd what the police said in that case isnt it?

Fair enough re the singing, its a bit odd what the police said in that case isnt it?

Australian Police arent renowned for their professionalism

As for the arrests:

You take as fact what you read on a twitter feed? Ya, actually that doesnt surprise me. Now please show me a link where there were 14 Celtic fans arrested or please just the stfu with your lies and nonsense. Come on, im all ears, eager to know.....Oh wait its just more rumours and innuendo from you isnt it? I presume you will be withdrawing the post about the arrests unless of course you have evidence???

If you wouldn't get your panties in a bunch so fast you could have seen that that is the official Twitter page of the Victoria Police.

Maybe this will calm you down ?
    http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/football/Police-offside-with-Celtic-fans.6801156.jp

If you wouldn't get your panties in a bunch so fast you could have seen that that is the official Twitter page of the Victoria Police.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/football/Police-offside-with-Celtic-fans.6801156.jp

Out of interest why do you believe Victoria police but put the word of Paul Goodwin, Stirling Albion's press officer, over a statement from Central Scotland Police?

Dioufy, first day back at Blackburn.

Unnamed.jpg

:cool:
    Imagine him walking into Steve Keane's office (Celtic-fan).

Apparently according to reports this "trolling" happened at the end of last season while the rest of the Backburn squad were still in a relegation fight, this act and his obnoxious behaviour was regarded as being disruptive to the team and resulted in him being removed from the property. He hasn't returned to Blackburn for pre-season training.

• Advertisement

Out of interest why do you believe Victoria police but put the word of Paul Goodwin, Stirling Albion's press officer, over a statement from Central Scotland Police?

Because Central Scotland Police have given no proof what so ever that there was any sectarian chanting.
    Their statement conflicts what others say.
    If Melbourne Victory came out saying there have been no arrests and they applaud the Celtic fans I'd question the arrests too, but that doesn't seem to happen ;)

And yeah, I read that too about Diouf, seems like he did return to Blackburn while they were still in a regelation fight and Keane didn't find it funny, Diouf was told to leave and hasn't returned since.

Not much about these 'arrests' in the Australian media which suggests a mountain made out of a mole hill. All these people got was probably an on the spot fine which is common for public disorder offences.

Sectarian chanting is a bigger issue for Scotland than what some drunk Aussies do at a football match in Melbourne.

Because Central Scotland Police have given no proof what so ever that there was any sectarian chanting.

I don't understand why a Stirling Albion official would claim there was no sectarian chanting yet the club would release two messages during the game over the tannoy warning the Rangers fans about their singing...

Did the spokesman give any explanation as to what reason they gave for the warnings if they weren't based on anything? Do you also not think that he might have a vested interest in defending Rangers as an attack on the Rangers fans would quickly mean Rangers would be far less likely to send another team to Stirling for testimonials in the near future?

Stirling Albion release a statement before every game telling fans not to indulge in offensive or sectarian chanting, as do the vast majority of Scottish clubs I believe.
    Now it happened 25 minutes into the game, no reason given.
    Since there was no sectarian chanting there would also be no reason for those messages directed towards the Rangers fans.

I also didn't hear anything about two messages, just the one in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Apparently according to reports this "trolling" happened at the end of last season while the rest of the Backburn squad were still in a relegation fight, this act and his obnoxious behaviour was regarded as being disruptive to the team and resulted in him being removed from the property. He hasn't returned to Blackburn for pre-season training.

From today's BBC website:

El Hadji Diouf has gone AWOL from Blackburn after being kicked out for showing off the SPL title medal he won with Rangers. (The Sun)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/14149941.stm

Exactly. But still you couldnt wait to have a go and get a cheap shot in without knowing the full facts.
    Read the full article....http://www.theage.com.au/technology/police-kick-own-goal-with-tweets-20110714-1heqw.html

Weren't you the one coming out with 'Rangers fans sing sectarian songs in Stirling friendly' ? ;)

Weren't you the one coming out with 'Rangers fans sing sectarian songs in Stirling friendly' ? ;)

Yes i was and i also added that maybe it was an over reaction and i asked for the other side of the story. You see the dufference??? No?? Didnt think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Because Spanish = Catholic ?
    Come back to me when he does!

What happened here??? http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottis...guez-rejected/

• Advertisement

Its just another opportunity for Craig Whyte to announce that he won't allow Rangers be held to ransom and that they didn't really want him in the first place...but it does seem an awful lot of clubs and players seem to be holding Rangers to ransom this summer, the word of Craig Whyte's mighty war chest must have spread through the continent!

If Martin Bain was still involved, they wouldnt have been wasting time putting in these lowball bids. He'd have a better idea of what bids are required than anyone else currently at the club.

Craig Whyte was playing football manager since last November getting himself up to speed with how the football world works!!

Martin Bain ?
    Lol.
    The only money he'll spend is giving himself another bonus.

The Daily Record on the other hand are claiming we've had a 2 million pound bid for Cuellar accepted by Villa.

The Daily Record on the other hand are claiming we've had a 2 million pound bid for Cuellar accepted by Villa.

McGregor, Cuellar and Bougherra would be a great combination in the SPL, assuming you keep Bougherra that is. But that said I reckon Cuellar is a better defender so even if Bougherra was to go this deal would be a bit of an improvement.

It will be interesting to see now how much of a pay cut Craig Whyte can convince Cuellar to take for the privilige of playing for The Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cuellar thing is bull lads

good mate of carlos's posts on villatalk and said that mccoist rang carlos (completely without asking for villas permission by the way) saying that they were interested, but carlos would have to take a huge paycut, which he's not interested in doing since his next move will be his last. he's more likely to go on a free next summer

Helix wrote: »
    cuellar thing is bull lads

good mate of carlos's posts on villatalk and said that mccoist rang carlos (completely without asking for villas permission by the way) saying that they were interested, but carlos would have to take a huge paycut, which he's not interested in doing since his next move will be his last. he's more likely to go on a free next summer

I usually take with a massive pinch of salt any story where someone claims to be a mate of a player and to have some insider knowledge on transfers...but in this case I hope its true :D.

• Advertisement

Aye ok, 'a good mate of his posts on Villa talk' :D

I don't know if it's true since there's no quotes, but that's hardly a decent source :D

Champions league 3rd round draw today, I think the possible opposition Rangers could get are:

KRC Genk (BEL),
    FC Pyunik (ARM)/FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE),
    Valletta FC (MLT)/FK Ekranas (LTU),
    FC Zestafoni (GEO)/FC Dacia Chisinau (MDA),
    Malmö FF (SWE)/HB Tórshavn (FRO)

No tough teams there, perhaps Genk might be the best of a bad bunch but no doubt the big fear would be having to shell out on the extra air fares in getting the squad and staff to an away leg in Armenia or Georgia...

Wouldn't mind a trip to Sweden :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I don't know if it's true since there's no quotes, but that's hardly a decent source :D

Hello pot, my name is kettle :D

Hello pot, my name is kettle :D

Erm, I was actually talking about the Daily Record article as well, they have no proof for what they write so I'll wait until I believe it.
    But these 'A mate from a friend of the cleaning lady of Cuellar' type of posts are hardly concrete proof.

It's Malbo or their Faroe Island opponents btw, good draw.
    Malmo leads 2-0 after the first game, should go through easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Wouldn't mind a trip to Sweden :o

I didn't think you went to games!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Erm, I was actually talking about the Daily Record article as well, they have no proof for what they write so I'll wait until I believe it.
    But these 'A mate from a friend of the cleaning lady of Cuellar' type of posts are hardly concrete proof.

It's Malbo or their Faroe Island opponents btw, good draw.
    Malmo leads 2-0 after the first game, should go through easily.

Fair enough my bad, and enjoy the trip to Malmo, post up a few pics of local emmm sights :p

We're not allowed, remember ;)
    I was thinking of going anyway, but in the home end, but it's not worth the hassle I think.

take it however you want, but this guy has put up photos of him with carlos on nights out. he's legit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

First win of the friendly's by the looks of things 4-1 at the moment goals by Ortiz, Naismith, Jelavic and Hemmings :)

Apparently we might sign Cuellar. Would be great if true. Would have some back 4 with him in it.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11781_7041222,00.html
    Speaking about Rangers, Khumalo added: "It is a good club and they play good football and that's very important but it is way too early to be commenting on it.

"I'm still here at Spurs and if there has been interest from Rangers then that's truly amazing."

Khumalo joined Spurs in January from SuperSport United before spending the second half of last season on loan with Preston in the Championship.

He suffered a foot injury but is now fully recovered and looking to perform well for both club and country over the next few months.

He said: "I can't be negative, but I must continue to work hard. I must be strong mentally and that is what the game is about.

"I'm happy to be fit again, but we all know what the requirements are to play for the national team and that is you must play football at club level and that's what I aim to do."

It is almost 2 weeks since Redknapp apparently offered Khumalo and Livermore to Rangers on loan, if the players want to go and the manager wants them to go I assume Rangers are stalling on the offer?
    Apparently we might sign Cuellar. Would be great if true. Would have some back 4 with him in it.

Some back 4 PLUS the best keeper in Scotland. The question is would Cuellar even get a game as Weir has apparently signed a new contract...

as i said the other day, cuellar has rejected rangers

Helix wrote: »
    as i said the other day, cuellar has rejected rangers

RANGERS SET FOR ANOTHER KNOCKBACK
    CARLOS Cuellar is set to deliver another snub to Ally McCoist by rejecting a move back to Ibrox and signing instead for Spanish side Espanyol, despite Aston Villa agreeing a fee with Rangers.
    But ironically the shock switch could result in Rangers landing their other central defensive target Raul Rodriguez, who would be pushed further down the pecking order at the Barcelona club.

Cuellar’s agent, Pedro Bravo, held talks with Espanyol yesterday to thrash out personal terms for the 29-year-old which are far greater than anything Rangers can afford.

A formal £2million bid to Aston Villa is now expected within the next 48 hours.

And to complicate the transfer even more Villarreal last night expressed their interest in Cuellar.

Espanyol’s director of football Ramon Planes confirmed they were in negotiations over Cuellar, and insisted he would only leave Villa for a return to Spain.

“He has been an option for us for months now and this is the perfect time to progress matters,” said Planes.

“We have spoken to his agent and are ignoring reports that he will go to Rangers.”

Bravo has always insisted McCoist would find it difficult to make Cuellar his marquee signing, as he would be unable to match his current £40,000-a-week wages at Villa.

McCoist was keen to get the defender –who left Ibrox in an £8m deal three years ago –on board and was prepared to push the boat out after losing out on Poland stopper Kamil Gilk.

I'll wait until its confirmed before believing this, after all apparently Cuellar loved the fans and his time so much at Ibrox that money wouldn't be an issue...

If true though I'm sure it will be painted as a masterstroke from Whyte and McCoist who never really wanted Cuellar at all but cunningly used him as bait for Espanyol to get a knockdown price on their real target, the far superior Rodriguez!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement