Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Excuse my stupidly but the car was imported today, nct vrt inspection next week, I’ll get a reg no and can fire ahead get a plate fitted and I don’t need to pay until 30 days from today. Correct?

you have 7 days to book the VRT appointment (which you have done) and 30 days to complete the process from the date of import.. You won't get your reg no etc until you have paid, and penalties will apply if you go over the 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is there a thread anywhere to ask for feedback on particular dealers in the North that anyone can point me to?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

the VRT for me has negated the Sterling advantage for me - last month it €2893, checking it today - for the same car it has gone up to €3289, strange - does this happen often (that the VRT amount changes for the same specifications)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

deezell wrote: »
    Date of import
    Fact checker:: BUZZZZ

Wrong.

When I imported my Chevrolet Suburban and went for VRT it was imported on the 15th of July, date of first reg was the end of july 1989, I presented for VRT in August and got the classic VRT. Which, going by date of import, I was not entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Debub wrote: »
    the VRT for me has negated the Sterling advantage for me - last month it €2893, checking it today - for the same car it has gone up to €3289, strange - does this happen often (that the VRT amount changes for the same specifications)?
    If you keep checking the same car on the website, the quote goes up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

ELM327 wrote: »

You frightened the S**t out of me as I'm awaiting appointment day, and VRT site was not accessible for a while last night, but my horse still has the same rate.

Wrong.

When I imported my Chevrolet Suburban and went for VRT it was imported on the 15th of July, date of first reg was the end of july 1989, I presented for VRT in August and got the classic VRT. Which, going by date of import, I was not entitled to.

he was commenting on a post asking for info on the 6 month rule for nearly new imports, not classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Jeez - is that true? can't be possible, but its true that the VRT quote did go up for me for the same specs

Isambard wrote: »

Wrong.

he was commenting on a post asking for info on the 6 month rule for nearly new imports, not classics.

True, though oddly date of VRT determines the 6 month milage afaik, so if you're a bit under the milage, you have 30 days to get it up over limit.

I'd imagine the VRT for classics is trivial as it approached it's 30th birthday. The depreciation must be almost 100%, regardless of OMSP. It's not what you paid for it, it's the original omsp from 1989 scaled down by depreciation. I bought a new Peugeot 405 in 89, for, ir£10000 or thereabouts. Depreciate by 30 years. Worth €100? VRT on that? Maybe €25. Its the road tax that drops after 30 years. That car if I had it was €710 to tax up to March this year, only €56 from March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Date of import

Sorry, but that's wrong.
    Is the six month rule applied from the date of original registration to the date of purchase or to the date of the vrt inspection?

Its 6 months to the date of original registration to the date of payment(vrt appointment)

Debub wrote: »

It does happen, last month revenue put up a load of OMSP's. It can go up or down.

Date of import
    .....When I imported my Chevrolet Suburban and went for VRT it was imported on the 15th of July, date of first reg was the end of july 1989, I presented for VRT in August and got the classic VRT. Which, going by date of import, I was not entitled to.
    I wasn't going to answer this what with the Buzzer! Wrong! triumphalism, but for your own elucidation, here goes..
    For the purposes of determining the amount of VRT on a vehicle which is outside of the new car category, the day or registration is not reckoned, just the month, as you can see in the VRT calculator. In your case the month of import was the same as the month of registration, July, even though the day of the months differed and reg day in '89 was earlier. In this case your car was 30 years old, and qualified for the classic VRT of €200.
    Now, if you had imported in June, any date in June, the car would be 29 years and 11 months, and not a classic. How much the VRT? Surprisingly high. Cars cost a fortune new in '89. A new Honda Accord EXi was ir£22,400, a whopping €27,578, 30 years ago. Even with 96% depreciation, you're left with a current OMSP of over a €1000, but because this car is a rarity, revenue give it an OMSP of €2000, and VRT is a massive 36%, leaving you with a bill of €720, and you'll pay at least a month's road tax at the engine size rate.
    So be wary of importing classics until at least the same month 30 years after reg.

€720 is the minimum VRT for any car sub 30m years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Date of import
    michellie wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's wrong.

Its 6 months to the date of original registration to the date of payment(vrt appointment)

FFS - I backed out of a purchase based on deezell's answer.

edit: and it looks like deezell is correct....

It is important to note that the operative date in determining whether a means of
    transport comes within the time limits is the date on which it arrives in
    Ireland.

From Revenue site;

"When is VAT payable on importation?
    Value-Added Tax (VAT) is payable at point of importation into the State."
    So vat is payable on VAT liable goods on that day, or calculated from that day, even if you don't present to VRT for 30 days.

Michellie?

Michellie?

I think we've disagreed about this before deezell :)

If a car was registered new on the 1st Jan 2019, VAT will be charged until 1st July 2019. Date of entry does not effect this. I have a lot of experience with this.

Let me get this straight. If I bring the car in on the 30th of June, I'm a day under 6 months, I pay VAT, even if I don't show up for VRT for another 30 days, when the car is now nearly 7 months old. If I bring it in on the 1st or 2 July, it's 6 months old and over, and I don't have to pay VAT. Is that correct?

And I've not disagreed with you before about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Let me get this straight. If bring the car in on the 30th of June, I'm a day under 6 months, I pay VAT, even if U don't show up for VRT for another 30 days, when the car is 6 months old. If I bring it in on the 1st or 2 July, it's 6 months old and over, and I don't have to pay VAT. Is that correct?

It has to be over 6000 km as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is there a thread anywhere to ask for feedback on particular dealers in the North that anyone can point me to?

PM sent.

Also read the dealer reviews on Autotrader

Batesout wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. If bring the car in on the 30th of June, I'm a day under 6 months, I pay VAT, even if U don't show up for VRT for another 30 days, when the car is 6 months old. If I bring it in on the 1st or 2 July, it's 6 months old and over, and I don't have to pay VAT. Is that correct?

It has to be over 6000 km as well

Yes, but this is about my answer that the date of reckoning for the under 6 month old VAT liability (nothing to do with VRT and notwithstanding the milage) was taken as the day of Import. i.e. a car registered new on 1st Jan is not six months old if imported on the 30th June, and will attract VAT. Bring it in the next day or after and it won't. The VRT appointment day doesn't matter, as you can delay that without penalty for 30 days, longer at the rate of 0.1% of VRT per day.
    Now I was contradicted twice. First by ELM327, but his example was at the classic car end of the scale, and I explained his odd outcome to him. I was contradicted again by michellie (who has a lot of experience), who claimed the 6 months counted from new UK reg day to the VRT appointment day, not the Import day. This produced a possible coronary and expletive laden response from WestWicklow1, which he then retracted. Then Michellie comes back and contradicts his (her?) original statement, and even manages to contradict in the post itself by giving a correct example of under and over 6 months, then saying date of entry doesn't matter? What are you on Michellie? You said I disagreed before with you about this. No I didn't, but I did correct you when you said late VRT penalties were 0.5% per day when they are 0.1%, an error you acknowledged in a PM btw, but not on the boards.
    I'll put my hands up if I make a lazy error, but I'm not listening to vague and Ill defined contradictions of fact. 6 months is 6 months. To avoid 23% VAT, DONT bring a car in until it is 6 months or more old. You won't get a VRT appointment for weeks after the date of entry, and it would be nonsense if you could bring in say a 4 month old car and stall the VRT appointment for over two months at a penalty of about 3% of VRT, to avoid paying 23% VAT on the full OMSP of the car. I don't claim to have huge experience in importing, just 3 in the last 2 years, but I do my research, and generally engage my brain before releasing my mouth. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Dee sell,

I would agree with you that it should be 6 months old at the date of importation to avoid VAT. HOWEVER, there are complex rules dealing with the intra-community supplies of goods which may mean that collecting it overseas prior to the 6 month date might also trigger the supply for Irish VAT purposes. Whether because it thinks the prospect of avoidance is small or some other reason, it seems that Revenue uses the date of VRT inspection as a convenient supply point.

Well this makes it possible to import a car months before it is 6 months old, and hang around for a later VRT inspection.
    I wouldn't risk it. And if I did, the car would have to be VAT quantifying, so I could recover the 20% VAT element of the UK price, which accounts for one sixth of the advertised price. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steven1987

Hi anyone know the vrt late penalty for Lgv renault kangoo?

It's 0.1% per day of the VRT due. A euro per €1000.

It's 0.1% per day of the VRT due. A euro per €1000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Would you lads even bother/consider getting a car inspected at a dealers with bad/mixed reviews?

I see Fusco have a good deal on a car I'm looking for but there reviews are off-putting. Should I get it inspected or just walk away and look for a better dealer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement