Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humax Freesat HDR-1100S

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Planning on upgrading my Humax Foxsat box soon, I see Humax have recently released the Freesat HDR-1100S, it seems to be just smaller than the HDR-1010S boxes and it comes in black. Anyone know if this is just a resized HDR-1010S box or is there anything worth specifically getting the 1100S for? It comes in 500gb, 1tb and 2tb versions. Anyone got experience of using it?

img_20150715_100007.jpg?itok=dp4i20xb

Here's some reviews
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/pvrs/1403591/humax-launches-smaller-freesat-hdr-1100s-freetime-box
    http://www.whathifi.com/humax/hdr-1100s/overview

make sure its wifi in built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

ftakeith wrote: »
    make sure its wifi in built

A quick glance at the reviews linked to will answer that question.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Am planning on getting rid of Sky and getting a HDR1000 or HDR1010 (not sure what the difference is between these two).

The 1100 has wifi built in, but has removed the display panel and the Scart connection. I guess that means it'll be no good for me as I'd plan to connect a modulator to the Scart socket to work with the magic eye in the bedrooms like the Skybox does.

Reading some Humax owners forum, it would appear that recent software update has caused issues with rebooting and the display not working properly so unsure how to progress...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

byte wrote: »
    ... has removed the display panel and the Scart connection. I guess that means it'll be no good for me as I'd plan to connect a modulator to the Scart socket to work with the magic eye in the bedrooms like the Skybox does.

It still has RCA phono connections for composite video & L/R stereo, so it's only a matter of getting an adaptor if the modulator doesn't have these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

byte wrote: »
    Am planning on getting rid of Sky and getting a HDR1000 or HDR1010 (not sure what the difference is between these two).

The 1100 has wifi built in, but has removed the display panel and the Scart connection. I guess that means it'll be no good for me as I'd plan to connect a modulator to the Scart socket to work with the magic eye in the bedrooms like the Skybox does.

Reading some Humax owners forum, it would appear that recent software update has caused issues with rebooting and the display not working properly so unsure how to progress...

the diff between the hdr 1010 and 1000 is that the 1010 has built in wifi and is white.

i have a 1010 1tb for the last year and i find it excellent

the 1100 model is new and i can;t comment on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

It's also in black, but not every store has it http://www.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=HDR1100S

byte

kooga wrote: »
    the diff between the hdr 1010 and 1000 is that the 1010 has built in wifi and is white.

i have a 1010 1tb for the last year and i find it excellent

the 1100 model is new and i can;t comment on it
    Ah, I'm getting my ones and zero's mixed up!

Thanks for clarifying, I thought the 1010 was just a white version of the 1000.

They probably should've considered digits other than 1 and 0 for the new model.

NOt sure if I should wait to see how good the 1100 is or plough ahead with the 1000. No big rush to buy yet though, as I've still not cancelled Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

What does WiFi connection on a Freesat box allow you to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

Bog Butter wrote: »
    What does WiFi connection on a Freesat box allow you to do?

Wireless connection to your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I purchased the Humax HDR-1010S 1TB (1000GB) HD TV Freesat Recorder with Free Time and Wifi last year. I really like it, I've had no issues with it. I only wish I'd cancelled my Sky subscription earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

byte

Finally cancelled Sky today and realise that the HDR1010S (and of course the HDR1000) are starting to become rare as they've been discontinued.

I'd ideally like a 1010S in black, though these are even rarer! I could just get the HDR1000 that seems good enough value on freetv.ie for €275 and use my Homeplugs.
    Incidentally, the old models has recently had a software update to fix some bugs that I mentioned earlier about reboots and display icons not working, as well as replacing the support for Edimax wifi dongles (for the 1000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

byte

Hah, I had looked at those earlier!

Am a bit hesitant to buy a refurb though. A new one has a 2 year warranty.

Don't need PM, as I can use a relative's NI address! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

STB. wrote: »

Fairly sure humaxdirect won't ship to Parcel Motel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

peneau wrote: »

I sent it to a friend up the north when I ordered a box for the parents in law then had the friend send it on to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I got my HDR1000S @ richersounds.co.uk ( they still have the versions mentioned in this thread ). Its a great little box, so glad i ditched sky over a year and a half ago.

The only annoying thing i find is that it doesnt have an ftp server so you cant copy stuff off it or onto it other than pluging in a usb stick etc or DNLA.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

byte

They'll ship to NI alright, but want £22 to do so. £160+ for a refurb seems a lot to me, when RS have/had the white 1010 for £169 new.

RicherSounds (Belfast) don't have any of the older models left, just the new HDR1100. From there, it was suggested I contact RS Birmingham, as they had 4 1010s (all open-box). But, when I rang, the guy on the phone said they only shipped within Eng/Sco/Wales, not to NI.

So I might just get the 1000S from FreeTV for ~€270 delivered. Not bad for an Irish shop, and I can just continue to use my Homeplugs for it, like I have done for Sky's online stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

They may well ship to Northern Ireland, however my experience when I attempted to purchase about a year or so ago, was, that they wouldn't ship to Parcel Motel, a "Freight Forwarding Company, due to their security concerns" that may have changed in the meantime, but that's how it was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

Try argos UK might have some in the n Ireland shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Received a box from them via Parcel Motel this week.

They certainly know how to charge for postage though, as byte details above.

byte

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Received a box from them via Parcel Motel this week.

They certainly know how to charge for postage though, as byte details above.
    Good stuff.

Aye, it's ~£22 to NI, yet only £7 within the "UK mainland"

I went ahead and ordered the HDR1000 from FreeTV.ie; be handier if I were to have issues with it. Will hopefully have it Tuesday or Wednesday, though I do have another 3 weeks or so of Sky left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Maplin have the Humax HDR-1000s/500 for €239 currently. If you are a student, you can get an additional 5% discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Saw the black 1100S in Currys in Airside, Swords yesterday. 2 were on display. Price 280. Not listed on the Currys.ie site though

byte

Saw the black 1100S in Currys in Airside, Swords yesterday. 2 were on display. Price 280. Not listed on the Currys.ie site though
    That seems a very competitive price!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Apogee wrote:
    Maplin have the Humax HDR-1000s/500 for €239 currently. If you are a student, you can get an additional 5% discount.

I am considering getting one of these.

1. Do I also need a hard drive to record saorviw (RTE) channels?

2. Is wifi necessary for Humax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I am considering getting one of these.

1. Do I also need a hard drive to record saorviw (RTE) channels?

2. Is wifi necessary for Humax?

The Humax receiver won't receive or record the Saorview channels, only the satellite channels via a satellite dish.

WiFI isn't required to use the Humax box.

List of channels on Freesat - http://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Freesat_(UK)

The Cush wrote:
    The Humax receiver won't receive or record the Saorview channels, only the satellite channels via a satellite dish.

I have lg 42 wit built in tuner and saorview ariel so I receive Saorview tru that. It is mostly for recording I require Humax. Currently receive freesat channels but no EPG for recording

I have lg 42 wit built in tuner and saorview ariel so I receive Saorview tru that. It is mostly for recording I require Humax. Currently receive freesat channels but no EPG for recording

The Humax will only record the Freesat channels, you'll require something else to record the Saorview channels, e.g. http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-WP6500

• Advertisement

Thanks, would a standard hard drive perform the same function (for Saorview channels) with a smart tv?

Thanks, would a standard hard drive perform the same function (for Saorview channels) with a smart tv?

Not sure, have never done it. Is that option available on your TV, check the manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Hi Guys

Just wondering what features work on the box, since i'd imagine it would be region locked for the On Demand content. Does the 7 day catch up work? Looking at the site it says that it just needs a broadband connection for that, while it says the On Demand is region specific.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Guys is there a way to get the magic eye to work with this(or indeed any other Humax box)?

I`m currently using a SKy+HD box for FTA channels, after cancelling last August. Have the magic eye working in the bedroom upstairs through the RF out of the Sky box, which i believe arent on the Humax box(es)

adox wrote: »
    Guys is there a way to get the magic eye to work with this(or indeed any other Humax box)?

Triax Trilink is what you require with a Freesat box

http://www.freetv.ie/triax-trilink-kit.html
    http://www.satworld.ie/triax-tri-link-kit.html

hades wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Just wondering what features work on the box, since i'd imagine it would be region locked for the On Demand content. Does the 7 day catch up work? Looking at the site it says that it just needs a broadband connection for that, while it says the On Demand is region specific.

Thanks

Even in the republic of ireland, ITV player works on humax boxes and youtube/bbc news/curazon apps also work
    as my mam watches dowonton abbey on monday mornings

bbc I-player, all4 and demand5 don't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

ftakeith wrote: »

I have the 1100s. Only had it a few days but so far a great little box. With this box you can manually enter the IP details, allowing for a custom DNS entry for a smart DNS server IP...and magic happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

ftakeith wrote:
    Even in the republic of ireland, ITV player works on humax boxes and youtube/bbc news/curazon apps also work as my mam watches dowonton abbey on monday mornings

ftakeith wrote:

Hi ftakeith,

Will the Catch up' on the last 7 day's TV via the Freetime EPG work in Ireland?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Hi ftakeith,

Thanks

Nope. But http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95549956

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Hi ftakeith,

Thanks

yes itv player still works on freetime as I just checked now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Sorry to drag up an old thread but just wondering if anyone knows if humax bring out a new model every year or is it every few years. My sky sub is up in September and will be removing it and getting freesat. This model seems the best at the moment and would likely pick up soon but would prefer a three tuner model and would hold off if it was a case humax brought out a new annual model. Cheers for any help

• Advertisement

Not sure what plans Humax have but there may be a Saorview Freesat combi box by that time, no firm details yet.

Do a search here on boards for previous discussion on the proposed Saorview Comnected service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

The Cush wrote: »
    Not sure what plans Humax have but there may be a Saorview Freesat combi box by that time, no firm details yet.

Do a search here on boards for previous discussion on the proposed Saorview Comnected service.
    From my read of the reports it is only a terrestrial receiver using freesat as a supplier for their connected software who are taking care of it as a packaged provider for app and receiver software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

irishchris wrote: »
    From my read of the reports it is only a terrestrial receiver using freesat as a supplier for their connected software who are taking care of it as a packaged provider for app and receiver software

Saorview said via Twitter a few weeks ago that combo boxes would be available.

When that will be and what spec they'll have is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Just a quick note on upgrading the HDR-1100S internal disk. I picked up a black 500GB unit in London with the plan to put a 2T disk in the unit.

I removed the sticker on the back of the unit, and removed the small black screw. With the unit on it's top (bottom up) I pushed the 5 grey tabs in the bottom of the unit towards the middle of the unit. This allows the top to pop off.

Only one screw and 5 simple tabs hold the top on.

To remove the hard disk there are four standard screws on the bottom, and one internal clamp.

I slid out the 500GB and installed the 2T. The 2T disk was previously formatted for Windows. The internal clamp would not fit the new disk, as it's much taller.

I swapped the disks before turning on the unit for the first time.

I turned on the unit, and walked through the initial setup. It spotted that the disk was incorrectly formatted. The format took ~10 minutes, and after that I had ~1780GB free disk space. I also did a firmware update via internet connection.

I have yet to plug it into the dish, but the HD swap was very painless.

The 1T version was ~£30 more expensive - but with a spare HD lying around, it made sense to upgrade from 500GB to 2T.

When SSD prices come down further, I wonder if a 1T SSD would make sense - mostly on a noise/vibration basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

aidanic wrote: »

When SSD prices come down further, I wonder if a 1T SSD would make sense - mostly on a noise/vibration basis.
    I'm open to correction on this but I thought that SSDs are more like flash drives. OK for storage but not continuous read/writes. That's why in a PC they are fine for your operating system but they recommend putting your swap file and daily storage on a second drive.

Advertisement