Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PVC Front Door

• 25-05-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi I just asking , can I paint my front PVC door and if so how do I go about it

Thanking You

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Wash it down

BIN Prime it

Undercoat and two gloss

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Wash it down

BIN Prime it

Undercoat and two gloss

Hi Michael thanks for reply, what do you mean by BIN prime it. Is this name of primer. Should I sand it to help paint to attach to it

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi Michael thanks for reply, what do you mean by BIN prime it. Is this name of primer. Should I sand it to help paint to attach to it

BIN primer is made by Zinsser, its a speciality primer for PVCs and the like.

I wouldn't sand the door as you might scratch it, but you could give it a rub of a green scotch pad just to give you some extra key.

But that BIN primer is excellent, shouldn't have any adhesion problems, as long as the surface is clean and dry before painting.

I wouldn't sand the door as you might scratch it, but you could give it a rub of a green scotch pad just to give you some extra key.

But that BIN primer is excellent, shouldn't have any adhesion problems, as long as the surface is clean and dry before painting.

Can it be git anywhere

• Advertisement

Ya.

Ya.
    Thanks a lot michael

Hi Michael I got this tread from you about 1 month ago and didn't get to paint PVC door yet. I was going to buy BIN primer today but I saw on label that it is for internal use. Its the outside of door I want to paint. The woman in shop also recommended ESP. I would appreciate your advice. Thanking You

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi Michael I got this tread from you about 1 month ago and didn't get to paint PVC door yet. I was going to buy BIN primer today but I saw on label that it is for internal use. Its the outside of door I want to paint. The woman in shop also recommended ESP. I would appreciate your advice. Thanking You

Ya, you can use ESP first. Its just an etch primer. It'll give an extra key between the door and the first coat of paint.

Wipe it all down with a rag and esp. I think you need to wipe it off with a dry cloth after half an hour or so.

Then give it a coat of BIN Primer.

I done the outside of my PVC windows and front door, fascia and soffit almost 6-7 years ago.

One coat of bin, and two coats of gloss. There still perfect. Except the paint has faded in colour.

There has been no peeling or cracking.

Ya, you can use ESP first. Its just an etch primer. It'll give an extra key between the door and the first coat of paint.

Wipe it all down with a rag and esp. I think you need to wipe it off with a dry cloth after half an hour or so.

I done the outside of my PVC windows and front door, fascia and soffit almost 6-7 years ago.

One coat of bin, and two coats of gloss. There still perfect. Except the paint has faded in colour.

But are you saying if I just use BIN and forget about ESP, I should be ok anyway. I was just a bit worried when I saw for internal use on can

• Advertisement

There has been no peeling or cracking.

but are you saying using BIN would be enough I was worried when I saw for internal use on can. The guy in shop said they have other primer 123 which is for external and is way cheaper. Have you any experience of it

123 is water based, but can be used on Upvc. I haven't used it on PVC so I can't say how good it is.

I would go with the BIN primer myself, as I have proven results from it!

You wouldn't know my windows are painted, that's how well its held up, and that's on the side of the house exposed to the weather!

123 is water based, but can be used on Upvc. I haven't used it on PVC so I can't say how good it is.

I would go with the BIN primer myself, as I have proven results from it!

You wouldn't know my windows are painted, that's how well its held up, and that's on the side of the house exposed to the weather!

Thanks very much Michael. You were a great help

Advertisement