Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welding

• 24-05-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if these welds are any good ? If not how do I improve them ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Conorh123

Conorh123 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if these welds are any good ? If not how do I improve them ?

There

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Yours or your sons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Yours or your sons

Yours or your sons

Sons - he is 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There
    They are a bit on the blobby side, he's getting there though just plenty more practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

He is getting better, but still not great on the fillet weld.
    Make multiple passes on the flat plate and keep repeating.
    Also have a look at this tutorial.
    http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/arc-tutorial.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

. Double post

practice running beads on the flat and pay special attention to arc length it's massively important in running consistently good welds,

practice running beads on the flat and pay special attention to arc length it's massively important in running consistently good welds,

Is this one good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Is this one good

It's not possible to tell from this photo. Welding aims to connect two pieces which necessarily involves penetration into both pieces of the work and sufficient amount of material in the weld capping the join.

If you cut this piece and pictured a cross section you could tell something about the weld in that section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Getting better weld is a little flat and still has some slag inclusion

It's not possible to tell from this photo. Welding aims to connect two pieces which necessarily involves penetration into both pieces of the work and sufficient amount of material in the weld capping the join.

If you cut this piece and pictured a cross section you could tell something about the weld in that section.

I'll attach a picture of the cross section later

I'll attach a picture of the cross section later

That's the section of weld in half

It's getting there, you can usually tell how well it's penetrated by looking at the toes(where the bead meets parent metal) without cutting it, you are looking for it to blend nicely with parent metal without leaving undercut(goughing of the toes) or without leaving a lack of penetration( it'll look like it's sitting on top of the parent metal instead of blending in with it)

Having said that it's no harm to cut the odd one as previous poster said, that will confirm how sound the weld is.

Going back to my previous advice, great practice to get a piece of scrap plate clean it well and just fill the whole plate with weld(overlay is the correct term), so run the first bead along one edge, then run the next one paralell to it with a 50% overlap on the previous bead and continue stacking the beads until you fill the whole plate, from there continue practice as you have done on various joints, it's improving keep at it!

It's getting there, you can usually tell how well it's penetrated by looking at the toes(where the bead meets parent metal) without cutting it, you are looking for it to blend nicely with parent metal without leaving undercut(goughing of the toes) or without leaving a lack of penetration( it'll look like it's sitting on top of the parent metal instead of blending in with it)

Having said that it's no harm to cut the odd one as previous poster said, that will confirm how sound the weld is.

Going back to my previous advice, great practice to get a piece of scrap plate clean it well and just fill the whole plate with weld(overlay is the correct term), so run the first bead along one edge, then run the next one paralell to it with a 50% overlap on the previous bead and continue stacking the beads until you fill the whole plate, from there continue practice as you have done on various joints, it's improving keep at it!

I'll tell him to do that thanks

Advertisement