Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda acquitted of theft

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Section 8 theft and fraud offences act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/sec0008.html#sec8

And nearly all are drunk muppets that you deal with. The majority can be resolved without arrest but some people just can't exercise some cop on.

8.—(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who, knowing that payment on the spot for any goods obtained or any service done is required or expected, dishonestly makes off without having paid as required or expected and with the intention of avoiding payment on the spot is guilty of an offence.

I reckon the above is something the garda could use to arrest him. the garda must know he would never prove the crucial element of dishonesty.

The passenger is a twat but he is not a thief. The Garda was faced with a **** sandwhich he was never keeping everyone happy.

Zambia wrote: »
    8.—(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who, knowing that payment on the spot for any goods obtained or any service done is required or expected, dishonestly makes off without having paid as required or expected and with the intention of avoiding payment on the spot is guilty of an offence.

I reckon the above is something the garda could use to arrest him. the garda must know he would never prove the crucial element of dishonesty.

The passenger is a twat but he is not a thief. The Garda was faced with a **** sandwhich he was never keeping everyone happy.

That one is more applicable to run offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That one is more applicable to run offs.

I agree if the passenger took off, no issue in a charge there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

6.25 is only the price of a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

braddun wrote: »
    6.25 is only the price of a pint

Yikes! I'd hope to see a few coppers from a tenner for a couple of pints. Where are you drinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

My preference is

Payment of fares, etc.
    56. A person shall not refuse or omit to pay to the owner, driver or conductor of a public service vehicle any sum which is payable by such person to such owner, driver or conductor for the hire of the vehicle or the fare for his carriage in the vehicle.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0191.html#zzsi191y1963

Fare Evasion - Section 8 theft and Fraud - 5% of the problem
    Fare Opposition/dispute - Pay fare and take complaint to regulator or fail/refuse to pay see above, 95% of problem.

A bit simplistic. Since the complaint above, I never directly get involved in settling a fare.

This is was another example of the carte blanche attitude to anything GSOC throw in front of the DPP.

Taxi regulation act 2013. Can't find if that 56 has been revoked.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0037/sec0029.html#sec29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I'm with the Garda on this one. He likely had much more important issues to be concerned about in that area, and then he gets caught up in this silly incident with a drunk. He made a judgement call to get rid of the issue and go on to focus his attention on more important issues, like public safety.

There were other channels for this guy to complain through and wasting Gardai time on the beat is just silly. If i got short changed a euro or two in a pub, ya think a Garda is gonna give a ****e about that if i ran up to them winging? I don't think it's their role, or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Xios wrote: »
    I'm with the Garda on this one. He likely had much more important issues to be concerned about in that area, and then he gets caught up in this silly incident with a drunk. He made a judgement call to get rid of the issue and go on to focus his attention on more important issues, like public safety.
    Then why did he arrest the passenger and detract from those important issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Victor wrote: »

Because having tried to resolve the issue sensibly he was then put in a position where he had to arrest.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

You mean why did he not ignore the offence in front of him?

Advertisement