Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone eaten in Loam?

Options
  • 10-11-2014 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone eaten in the new restaurant Loam, off Eyre Square?
    Just wondering during what it's like?
    Cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Never heard of it but €3 for some salted nuts at the bar seems a bit steep.

http://loamgalway.com/menu/

Sofa King wrote: »
    Never heard of it but €3 for some salted nuts at the bar seems a bit steep.

http://loamgalway.com/menu/

From following on from the link it seems to be in the same building as the tax office.
    Possibly part of the Radisson?
    Neither the menu or the location would appeal to me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

I emailed them last Friday to make a reservation, no reply received yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If im not mistaken its the former chef from Aniar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I walked past last Friday afternoon and was surprised to see it there. Quite odd - no signage outside saying what it was called even, made me think it wasn't quite open yet, even though the interior looked fully fitted and there were people working inside.

Good to see that space finally being used for businesses, though. Looks like Atlantic College have some of it too, and a small coffee place down at the end by the Revenue door.

Let's hope the niche they're filling is large enough for them to succeed through the bleak post-Christmas months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Looks like its trying to be some pretentious dump, no sign up, oh how radical.
    And you say it was a chef from anair, that explains it all.

Looks like its trying to be some pretentious dump, no sign up, oh how radical.
    And you say it was a chef from anair, that explains it all.

No i said twas from Aniar, off to Supermacs or Riordans with you there, some good fare to be had for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

2 friends ate there last week, said they wouldn't be back in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just been awarded a Michelin star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Went there once, thought it was lovely. Quite expensive though, but the staff really make the effort.

You kind of have to step out of your regular food comfort zone, but it's really nice food.

Reckoned it would get a Michelin Star sooner or later at the time as well.

2 Michelin star restaurants in Galway now is pretty good going. Don't think there's any in Cork for example unless I'm mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Went there once, thought it was lovely. Quite expensive though, but the staff really make the effort.

You kind of have to step out of your regular food comfort zone, but it's really nice food.

Reckoned it would get a Michelin Star sooner or later at the time as well.

Agree with all you've said except that it's expensive. I think it's great value for what you get.

Extremely unpretentious staff and chef (how many places have a chef who greets people personally when they're leaving) but the unfortunate risk is that it will now start attracting G4 type pretentious customers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I'd say 60 euro for a 6 course tasting menu is not expensive for a Michelin star restaurant.

Of course the price may rise with added demand.

Aniar charges 70 for a 6-course menu, or 100 with wine.

6 course: €70 [ €100 ] cold | hot | sorbet | main| dessert | cheese

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Agree with all you've said except that it's expensive. I think it's great value for what you get.

Extremely unpretentious staff and chef (how many places have a chef who greets people personally when they're leaving) but the unfortunate risk is that it will now start attracting G4 type pretentious customers :)

That doesn't sound pretentious at all! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

2 Michelin star restaurants in Galway now is pretty good going. Don't think there's any in Cork for example unless I'm mistaken.

Both garnered by the same chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Michelin Stars are grand, but what do they actually mean?

That the food is par excellence? Yes, it can be great but at what price? Foamed shellfish reduction in red currant jus etc. lol. Depends on your wants I suppose.

I wouldn't go to an M Star place as first choice. I'd be afraid I'd spill something on the tablecloth or something!

Good food does NOT have to be M starred. But some are smitten.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think most people, and I include myself in that, might not find what sets a good restaurant apart from a Michelin starred restaurant all that interesting. For me good service, tasty food done better than what I could do, and a reasonable price are all I desire. Yet it's amazing how hard it is to manage even these most humble of expectations consistently (looking at you Rouge!).

Just take a look at this gallery: http://loamgalway.com/gallery/

Those pics are gorgeous! Maybe if I ate out every night such that a good meal seemed passé I would look for more... food that is art?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Michelin Stars are grand, but what do they actually mean?
    Not sure if this was an actual question or a mini-rant but in case anyone else wonders.
    In short,
    1 star means worth a visit if you're in town.
    2 stars means worth a visit if you're not too far away.
    3 stars means worth travelling specially for.

One have to remember the guide started as a guide to places to eat* if you were on a road trip.

*And hotels etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

biko wrote: »
    Not sure if this was an actual question or a mini-rant but in case anyone else wonders.
    In short,
    1 star means worth a visit if you're in town.
    2 stars means worth a visit if you're not too far away.
    3 stars means worth travelling specially for.

One have to remember the guide started as a guide to places to eat* if you were on a road trip.

*And hotels etc

Thanks for that. I never knew either!

Those pics are gorgeous!

Tbh, those pics look to me like the leftovers I'd leave on the side of the plate after I finish my meal (and I'm not a big eater).
    Everyone to their own though and fair play to them.

Its about the overall experience and not just the food. Anyone can go to McSwiggans for an average/poor meal and waste 50 quid, id sooner spend more and have something exciting and different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Exciting, different and not at all filling judging by those pics. I'd be making a beeline for Supermacs after a meal there I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Exciting, different and not at all filling judging by those pics. I'd be making a beeline for Supermacs after a meal there I'd say.

I'm picking you're not in their target market :-)

Probably everyone will be happier if you just start the evening in Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I found my 8 course meal quite filling.

Those pics are gorgeous! Maybe if I ate out every night such that a good meal seemed passé I would look for more... food that is art?

Edible flowers are so hot right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Its about the overall experience and not just the food. Anyone can go to McSwiggans for an average/poor meal and waste 50 quid, id sooner spend more and have something exciting and different.

More like been taken for a fool, looking at the pics you would be starved senseless after eating there.
    But i guess some people have awful notions and i guess the place just takes advantage of such people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Strange why dont Trocaire go for excitement and difference when asking for food. If your going to overspend on a meal and still be hungry thats more money than sense. Excitement isnt going to fill you.

• Advertisement

I ate there earlier this year and enjoyed it.

Advertisement