Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will AIB be launching Visa Debit cards?

Options
  • 05-12-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I know this is a thead about PTSB visa debit but do any of ye know if AIB will be launching the visa debit cards?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to a thread of it's own.

Currently, nothing had been announced. But with BOI moving to Visa Debit, and Ulster/PTSB having done so, Laser is only really left with AIB and NIB. They'll have to do something - but what that will be remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

AIB is almost bankrupt, they might not invest any money in adopting a new system just yet. But who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    AIB is almost bankrupt, they might not invest any money in adopting a new system just yet. But who knows.

Far from bankrupt. Yes, they will be moving to Visa Debit. But, no official timeline yet. From what I've heard, the project has been on and off for the past few years (obviously more urgent issues have taken priority). I imagine a statement will be made before/when Bank of Ireland roll out theirs.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Matt Bauer wrote: »

Please don't make statements like this without evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 QWERTY234

They need Visa debit pronto- Maestro is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

thanks for the info guys, I'd love a credit card but I would be afraid of racking up debt. I much prefer the thought of a visa debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

+1

Much needed, as "Maestro" / Laser only works in .ie and in the UK, not anywhere else in the world.

VISA Debit costs like €2 / month at most in all banks over the world, so it's a no-brainer to add it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Mathiasb wrote: »
    +1

Much needed, as "Maestro" / Laser only works in .ie and in the UK, not anywhere else in the world.

VISA Debit costs like €2 / month at most in all banks over the world, so it's a no-brainer to add it.

I have used my Laser succesfully in Finland,Sweden,Netherlands,Estonia,Germany etc, both for paying goods / atm withdrawals

But ofcourse Visa is much better, changed fr AIB to Permanent TSB because of the Visa card

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

finnteme wrote: »
    I have used my Laser succesfully in Finland,Sweden,Netherlands,Estonia,Germany etc, both for paying goods / atm withdrawals

But ofcourse Visa is much better, changed fr AIB to Permanent TSB because of the Visa card

I know it works in most ATMs, what I meant (and should've mentioned!) was online transactions. Nothing beats VISA Debit for online transactions if you don't want a credit card.

Advertisement