Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What takes you off the register?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

My brother couldnt vote for Lisbon 1, he had always voted in that area, he could for lisbon 2 despite doing nothing (he just checked again that he was registered prior to lisbon 2)

This election, my sister had been registered for a long time, but this time never received a polling card, and could not vote.

I am not having a go or anything as I know it is every persons responsibility to make sure they are on the register in the weeks building up to the vote but needless to say she was disappointed, im just wondering what factors can affect you being on the register??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

bump,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

If she is on the electoral register, she should have been able to vote, regardless of whether she had a polling card or not.

Was her name on the register?

no, but it had been previously. As I said, dont get me wrong, it was her responsibility to double check anyway. BUT, im just wondering what actually affects the names on the register? Might she have done something to inadvertently take herself off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Electoral registers seem to be based on luck and magic rather than facts. They probably take you off if there's no evidence of you at that address for a number of years. My dad is a French citizen and should be ineligible for Dáil elections but his name was on the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

A few years ago someone called to our door to check if we were still living there for the register. I think they were from the county council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I honestly don't know, would have thought that the electoral register stays the same apart from the event of deaths and changing constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know that at home, local members of the political parties would take you off the register (or add you) as they felt.

I came home to vote once, only to find that I wasn't registered to vote. Turned out that the local FF boyo had organised a "cleanout" of the register.

dudara wrote: »
    I know that at home, local members of the political parties would take you off the register (or add you) as they felt.

I came home to vote once, only to find that I wasn't registered to vote. Turned out that the local FF boyo had organised a "cleanout" of the register.
    thats fairly shocking tbh.

Although I dont think that applies to my brother or sister , reason being they'd have no reason to be taken off (in terms of being vocal about opposing a certain party or whatever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

perhaps the problem is too many people have access to the register (with the power to edit it) - so too many mistakes and duplications happen

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

The best thing you can do is always check if you are on the register coming up to election times. If you don't receive a polling card but think that you're on the register - check anyway. When working at the polling stations it seemed a lot of people in the same apartment block had been magically wiped off the register after the Lisbon elections. Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

zig wrote: »
    thats fairly shocking tbh.

Although I dont think that applies to my brother or sister , reason being they'd have no reason to be taken off (in terms of being vocal about opposing a certain party or whatever)

I'm a fairly neutral person when it comes to politics - no obvious party preferences. This fella just clearly took it upon himself to manage the register as he saw fit.

I was added automatically to the register when I was 18 - the local parties take the names from the school registers. I know this was the case because I was registered with a variation of my name that was used only in the NS register.

Just goes to show that too many people can make changes to the register.

Advertisement