Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet slower than WiFi

Options
  • 28-01-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I recently moved my modem right next to my android box so I could hook it up via Ethernet because the streaming was becoming unwatchable at times. My speed tests were returning downs of between 5 & 6 Mbps wired so I thought some things up. Rang tech support for my ISP who guided me through the WiFi channel switching procedure (I'm a total techtard, so this was necessary).

So now I'm settled on channel 3 and my WiFi is running down speeds over 30 Mbps consistently but my android box is still only returning wired speeds of between 5 & 6. Checked out the spec of the box this morning and the Ethernet adapter it uses is a 10/100M Base T.

Why would Ethernet be so slow when all my life I've been told never to trust WiFi speed tests because there are so many things that can interfere with the signal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How is it speed testing, is it the speedtest.net app?

Could be a poor NIC in the box itself, try attaching a laptop to the same cable and see what it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

is your Android box plugged directly into a router or switch? or are you using something like homeplugs?

*edit* ah sorry I misread your post, I would check the patch cable from your Router to the box first

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Can you see what the port speed is?
    If it's only 10Mbps/Full-Duplex it will limit you to 10Mbps if not less.

Could be the cable or faulty LAN port either.
    Try a laptop as suggested and if still the same try different cable.

Advertisement