Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landrover Defender - Daily Runner

• 24-02-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

So the time has come for me to change my car.... I currently drive a 2.2 Ford Mondeo which I have had from new (coming up on 7 years).

I have always loved the look of the Defender and wanted to know if these can practically be used as a daily runner. I drive about 16miles per day and more at the weekend.

What is the downside to considering one of these? Running costs? Comfort?

What are the plus sides? Are they reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi are you thinking new?

What needs have you for a 4x4 as its going to be a totally different drive to a car. Was it 2.2 titanium or st ?

Bit pointless having a big off roader if it never goes off road and bigger costs will be there anyway also with fuel, maintenance and tyres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Current mondeo is the 2.2 Titanium X.... fast, comfortable, economical and super reliable (knock wood).

The new car wouldn't really see any off-road action, so maybe you're right... it's more of an aesthetic thing for me with the Landrover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

If you want a 4x4, then buy it. Be prepared for higher fuel bills and parts can be expensive. For a defender, they shouldn't be too bad.

But... A defender is not a comfortable vehicle. Drivers seat is way too close to the door. Pedals are offset and it's old old body design is as aerodynamic as a 3 span hayshed.
    I agree they look great, but there are far more comfortable, rugged 4x4s out there. Best thing to do is drive one and see what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I had the Landy itch and bought a 05 TD5 Hardtop 110 back in 08. That said its a farm work vehicle. Have used it as my sole daily drive for 9 months. In fairness I wouldnt recommend it for city or motorway driving.
    Try and get one for a test drive first.
    Comfort, driving position, noise, vision in mirrors, poor turning circle, fuel consumption between 25and 30mpg. Road tax on passenger type would be 1k+. Tyres €150+ a piece. Various well documented mechanical issues. How are you on DIY maintenance and repair?
    Maybe you could try The Defender Thread on here for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Try one first, you'll love it or hate it, there is no middle ground!

26-28mpg is what I get out of my Td5 no matter what, you may get a bit more out of a later tdci. Values are going up as production comes to an end and there's lively market in bling ones at the moment.

Of course you could keep the Mondeo and buy an older Defender as a toy, before long you'll have a yard full of them so at least one will always work..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement