Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up carpet and putting back down

Options
  • 03-12-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭

After recent work on my house, I had my carpet laid back by a professional (used knee kickers, door bars, etc) but I've been told by my electrician that I need to have some earth wiring in place that he didn't add initially!

He said he needs to lift up half the carpet (including removing bars under the door) and says he will put it back exactly as he found it.

Now I don't know how skilled an electrician would be at laying back carpet so should I ask him to get a proper carpet installer, or is it a simple job to lay back?

Do I need to insist he use knee kickers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

If it's a wool carpet (with grippers around the perimeter etc.) then I would say this is definitely a job for a proper carpet fitter. If not wool then there's probably no great risk in letting the electrician at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Thanks, it has grippers around the perimeter alright. I don't know if it's wool, it's the standard room carpet you get in rolls at places like CarpetRight (I didn't buy it, it came with the house)

EDIT: I just rang the carpet fitter there, and he confirmed that it'd have to be done professionally.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I just rang the carpet fitter there, and he confirmed that it'd have to be done professionally.

Well I'd expect him to say that, wouldn't you?
    If the carpet has been laid for some time and there's only part of it to be lifted, then it should be no problem to the sparks.
    The carpet will have taken it's shape already.
    Out of curiosity, was the sparks consulted before the carpet was re-laid? Reason I ask is I've seen someone take jobs out of sequence before and then blame the tradesman!

red sean wrote: »
    Well I'd expect him to say that, wouldn't you?

Well he said that if it was only a corner section it'd be fine for electrician. But as it's half the room that has to be lifted it's a different story.

red sean wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, was the sparks consulted before the carpet was re-laid? Reason I ask is I've seen someone take jobs out of sequence before and then blame the tradesman!

Yep, the job was finished. Had an SEAI inspection after the job was completed and turns out a lot of shortcuts were taken so plumber and electrician had to be called back over to fix up everything :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Well if he can't do his own job properly then I wouldn't think he'll do someone else's right!
    Make him pay for the carpet fitters return job.

• Advertisement

Yep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

mrcheez wrote: »
    After recent work on my house, I had my carpet laid back by a professional (used knee kickers, door bars, etc) but I've been told by my electrician that I need to have some earth wiring in place that he didn't add initially!

He said he needs to lift up half the carpet (including removing bars under the door) and says he will put it back exactly as he found it.

Now I don't know how skilled an electrician would be at laying back carpet so should I ask him to get a proper carpet installer, or is it a simple job to lay back?

Do I need to insist he use knee kickers?

he will need a carpet kicker and chisel too if he wants to do a professional job .

Advertisement