Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An old chain saw.

Options
  • 02-12-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

Well more unused than old.

I was told by a neighbour that if you don't use a chainsaw for a few years then it is not worth using as it will have seized up inside.

I don't know whether to credit this opinion since it doesn't feel like it is seized (I can turn it by hand ).

Should I chance it and send it in to be serviced (I have a few trunks that I need it for)?

It is a petrol chainaw (14 or 16 inch I think) not a professional quality but I don't feel like buying a new one if I can get it to work for a week or so anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If it's turning over it should be ok, empty out any old fuel and replace it with new,take out the spark plug give it a clean and put a few drops of fuel mixed with two stroke in to the plug hole and pull the cord a few times just to lubricate the piston rings then put the plug back in and give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

amandstu wrote: »

I was told by a neighbour that if you don't use a chainsaw for a few years then it is not worth using as it will have seized up inside.

I don't know whether to credit this opinion since it doesn't feel like it is seized (I can turn it by hand ).

Should I chance it and send it in to be serviced (I have a few trunks that I need it for)?

It is a petrol chainaw (14 or 16 inch I think) not a professional quality but I don't feel like buying a new one if I can get it to work for a week or so anyway.

why would a petrol chainsaw be any different than any other small petrol engine? :confused: Lawnmowers, strimmers, cars, scooters.....it just needs some tlc and a hug.

I'd be with Fergal on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks
    I will get it properly serviced though now as it has been out of use for so long -and it can be so hard to start if it takes a mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

dont believe the half of what you hear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

dont forget the helmet face guard gloves boots chaps and coat too , lots of accidents and deaths when people use a chainsaw but dont think of using the ppe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

The real problem with small engines (as alluded to already) is that stale fuel if left in tanks over long periods of storage will form deposits on the carburretor that prevent starting.

thanks again.

I have had a closer look and I notice that the little cogged wheel that pulls the chain around at the end tip of the bar is stuck with rust and gunge I suppose (the actual engine does seem to turn perfectly freely with the chain and the bar removed).
    I have loaded the area with WD40.Can I anticipate that it will free itself given time? Can I give it a few taps with a small metal object when the WD40 has had time to penetrate or should I only atempt turning it with the chain on (I mean is it easy to distort the wheel and the casing without using proper care?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

thanks again.

I have had a closer look and I notice that the little cogged wheel that pulls the chain around at the end tip of the bar is stuck with rust and gunge I suppose (the actual engine does seem to turn perfectly freely with the chain and the bar removed).
    I have loaded the area with WD40.Can I anticipate that it will free itself given time? Can I give it a few taps with a small metal object when the WD40 has had time to penetrate or should I only atempt turning it with the chain on (I mean is it easy to distort the wheel and the casing without using proper care?)
    What make is it? Probably be able to get a complete new bar easy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Healy Rae Permit Holder

It should free out, i wouldn't go tapping it, you could try rolling the nose sprocket around using the shaft of a screw driver, if you put the bar in the vice it will make life easier, i would wear gloves too because bars can have burrs which are lethal and cut very bad, file towards the middle of the bar if you have burrs and use a hacksaw blade or similar to clean out bar between the guide rails, do a check to make sure your chain brake works before you go working and that it is oiling the chain, when your finishing your cutting empty out the saw of petrol for the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Healy Rae Permit Holder

red sean wrote: »
    What make is it? Probably be able to get a complete new bar easy enough.
    + 1 there if bar deems beyond usable and new chain maybe too.

• Advertisement

It is a Homelite and I understand that they aren't really considered that good.

Actually I do have a spare bar and chain since I wasn't happy with the 14" original and replaced it with a 16" (it was a pain to order at the time).

The old 14" seems in perfect fettle but I would rather carry on with the 16" and I expect that I will get it working OK -especially since I am in no hurry.

But I do anticipate it will need a proper service after not being used for over 5 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Tbh chainsaws and most 2 strokes don't need much maintenance at all (like others have said here)

Check the air filter if you are really concerned, drain any fluids out and replace (chain oil and 2 stroke)

Replacing the bar would be best, just go to your local lawnmower/chainsaw man he will have a selection of bars and chains and be able to match up the right ones for you. The bar will be Oregon brand probably.

Advertisement