Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is This Evil?*

• 19-08-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭

* Forget whether it's petty or not, I know it is really...

A few weeks ago I bought a battery grip for my camera on eBay and the unit was located in Hong Kong. This morning I got a letter from Revenue stating that I need to pay Vat on the item, the item cost about €38. That's fair enough I don't mind paying that but I do strongly dislike the €6 An Post handling fee I am required to pay.

So I was thinking that the total amount I would need to pay should be about €13 and I was thinking I would pay this in 1c coins making for a total of about 1300 1c coins.

It is a little petty I know but my terribly expensive item (€38 :rolleyes:) is held up by customs as they stop the item, post you a letter, then hold the package until you fax or email them a copy of your paypal receipt. It is then sent to you with the Vat charges due to the postman and a €6 fee for An Post. In this day and age, the world is getting smaller and more connected I really feel they should raise the amount that you can purchase online before you have to pay tax- €22 is a little paltry.

So good folks of AH, should I just let it slide and pay up in notes or are 1300 1c coins the just and proper route?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

BORING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Just pay up the normal way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

biko wrote: »
    Yes
    BORING!
    BluesBerry wrote: »
    Just pay up the normal way :rolleyes:

Oooh guess I'm really out of touch with things. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yes, express your anger at being inconvenienced by further inconveniencing yourself by counting out 1300 coins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Yes, plus you are only adding to your woes because you would have to queue in the bank or whatever to get 1300 1c coins. Not worth the hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

clichéd post is clichéd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's f*cking hilarious is what it is. Project Mayhem Lives!

His name is Kintarō Hattori.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Most of the sellers from Hong Kong / China mark the package as "Gift" anyway as far as I remember from what I've got from there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Not sure if handing someone 1300 coins would be considered as legal tender. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Too many coins, they can reject that method of payment.

Can't remember the exact limit, but I think a vendor can refuse a transaction if there is over 50 - 75 coins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I've been caught once or twice with this. Sometimes you can get away with it if,

Once or twice I bought from a seller that said his location was the UK but the item was sent from HK/China. When I got the customs letter I emailed the seller telling them that if they didn't refund the cost of revenue I'd refuse to collect the item and open a 'item not received' dispute. Always worked.

Same thing happened with mymemory.co.uk and I emailed them and they refunded the revenue cost straight away (very nice bunch of people)

If you don't have these options, pay up I'm afraid ;)

Ah fair enough fair enough, seems that I really am petty so. The same sentiment is being expressed by my colleagues as the fine folk of AH.

Oh and I could just get the coins through work so I wouldn't have to go queue for them.............. not that that makes any difference now. It seems I am out of step with the general feeling on the issue.

Regular payment it is so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The ideal way of paying such government bills is to shove the notes up a dead dog's arse and throw the festering corpse over the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

A few weeks ago I bought a battery grip for my camera on eBay and the unit was located in Hong Kong. This morning I got a letter from Revenue stating that I need to pay Vat on the item, the item cost about €38. That's fair enough I don't mind paying that but I do strongly dislike the €6 An Post handling fee I am required to pay.

So I was thinking that the total amount I would need to pay should be about €13 and I was thinking I would pay this in 1c coins making for a total of about 1300 1c coins.

It is a little petty I know but my terribly expensive item (€38 :rolleyes:) is held up by customs as they stop the item, post you a letter, then hold the package until you fax or email them a copy of your paypal receipt. It is then sent to you with the Vat charges due to the postman and a €6 fee for An Post. In this day and age, the world is getting smaller and more connected I really feel they should raise the amount that you can purchase online before you have to pay tax- €22 is a little paltry.

So good folks of AH, should I just let it slide and pay up in notes or are 1300 1c coins the just and proper route?

Typical Polish :rolleyes:

just pay up like a normal person does...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

give them notes but put it in an envelope that's really hard to open.
    Muhahahahahahahaha.

Eh I'm not Polish, and what does that have to do with anything? Hmnn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Those customs people should catch a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    give them notes but put it in an envelope that's really hard to open.
    Muhahahahahahahaha.

Or write a cheque. Freeze it and put it in a crisp-like shape. And try to send it to them without the crisp-cheque (harharhar) breaking. Like they used to do on The Childrens Channel. Je'member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

If you buy something off the net you spin the customs wheel baby! If you don't like it then run in the elections on the promise to clean up the broken customs system. (and lose some revenue too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

EL_Loco wrote: »
    If you buy something off the net you spin the customs wheel baby! If you don't like it then run in the elections on the promise to clean up the broken customs system. (and lose some revenue too).

I mentioned that I don't mind paying the VAT charges and that my gripe is with the An Post handling fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

DHL pay the VAT for you at customs. Then when they deliver the item to you, you pay them the VAT.

Oh, and they charge €13 for this service, even if you didn't ask for it.

Last time they delivered an item to me, they handed it to me first, then asked for the VAT & €13. I payed the VAT and closed the door. Since I never agreed to this fee, I didn't feel responsible for paying it. They gave up after about 5 mins.

Last time they delivered an item to me, they handed it to me first, then asked for the VAT & €13. I payed the VAT and closed the door. Since I never agreed to this fee, I didn't feel responsible for paying it. They drive gave up after about 5 mins.

Now that is evil! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I mentioned that I don't mind paying the VAT charges and that my gripe is with the An Post handling fee.

Seeing as they're state owned you can still run for election to sort it out :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Too many coins, they can reject that method of payment.

Can't remember the exact limit, but I think a vendor can refuse a transaction if there is over 50 - 75 coins...

I think it's if there's more than 20 of any denomination.

goose2005 wrote: »
    I think it's if there's more than 20 of any denomination.

Well it doesn't matter now anyway, seems I judged things wrongly on this matter. Soft crispy notes it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Tell you one thing that pisses me off about the whole system as it stands....when calculating VAT/duty Irish Revenue takes P&P charges into account and then adds VAT on to that cost as well....think about it, a service paid for in a non-EU country that likely has it's own set of sales taxes, then having the gall to add a 21% rate on top of that even though the service never had anything to do with the EU. The product itself fair enough, and probably the handling fee (bet an Post love that little earner) but this VAT on the service of a foreign courier/PO is bullsh*t of the highest order.

Do you have that many one cent coins? And if so, why?

Are you Scrooge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

You can pay with a max of 50 coins so get someone brainy to go all Carol Vorderman and work out the most inconvienent combination.
    An Post seriously need to catch themselves on charging €6 for something they have to do anyway. Chancers!!!

"10.—(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0038/sec0010.html#zza38y1998s10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wertz wrote: »
    Tell you one thing that pisses me off about the whole system as it stands....when calculating VAT/duty Irish Revenue takes P&P charges into account and then adds VAT on to that cost as well....think about it, a service paid for in a non-EU country that likely has it's own set of sales taxes, then having the gall to add a 21% rate on top of that even though the service never had anything to do with the EU. The product itself fair enough, and probably the handling fee (bet an Post love that little earner) but this VAT on the service of a foreign courier/PO is bullsh*t of the highest order.

They are bandits - simple

Do you have that many one cent coins? And if so, why?

Are you Scrooge?

No I could just get them through work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well it doesn't matter now anyway, seems I judged things wrongly on this matter. Soft crispy notes it is so.

Perhaps slightly file the edges and iron the notes, just so the person your handing them to doesn't get a papercut or anything.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Evil? This? Really?

Evil? This? Really?

Well I'm a nice guy in reality so yeah I thought maybe this seemed a little nasty and evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thanks for the entertainment, I love it when someone shoots themselves in both feet.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yup, poster is correct, limit of 50 coins.

With resp. the handling charge, €6.00 seems small enough when you consider the alternative is for you to go to the warehouse, fill out the paperwork and pay Customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

listermint wrote: »
    They are bandits - simple

It would seem to me that the policy is deliberately set up that way to discourage small time buying from outside the EU by individuals.
    Any company importing non EU products pays no VAT (assuming products are for re-sale) either on the goods or the delivery...of course those companies thewn pay tax on profits and VAT is paid by customer.

I can only surmise that the consumer's attempts to cut out middlemen and high prices by buying foreign goods is being stymied by making the end cost as high as possible...this might (not sure that it does) protect businesses but it goes against the grain of the global economy we are told so many good things about.

Oh and another thing...if I buy something second hand in Ireland (or the EU) I don't pay VAT on it, not even big ticket items like vehicles.
    Yet if I buy goods secondhand on eBay from outside the EU, customs want to charge me a further 21% + admin on the total cost, even though VAT/sales tax was charged at point of sale in the country of origin......again that is simply bullsh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A few weeks ago I bought a battery grip for my camera on eBay

As you probably found out by now, you may need to get a postal order for the exact amount. And in another thread about tendering coinage, there is a limit to the amount tenderable ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Evil? - No.

evil - maybe a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

This evil walks among us. I fear for future generations. This is right up there with the Holocaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Remember years ago going to the football in Dundee and the bus park that was normally free started charging 10 pound. The next time we went up we paid in pennies.

The bus park attendant never batted an eye and proceeded to count the coins before letting anybody off the bus. Fecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I had to pay the odd customs charge too, last one was to UPS, mostly use DHL. You only pay it on stuff ordered from countries outside the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've been charged on antiques, was told I could dispute it but that I wouldn't see my stuff again for quite some time and that it would be stored in 'less than ideal' conditions. The postman told me it really wasn't worth the hassle.

Nearly bought a camera of ebay that would have come from Hong Kong.. Glad I didn't now. Bangs of effort.

Advertisement