Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic Surgery

Options
  • 03-04-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm a male in my early 20's and I am very seriously considering corrective plastic surgery to reshape my chest, as a result of being obese from the age of 10 until I was about 20 I have man boobs or whatever you want to call them. I am in good shape and overall in the last couple of years I have lost 120lb's. As healthy as I am I have never been able to reduce the amount of fat on my chest and all I can say is it cripples me. Everything I do and everywhere I go has to be a preconceived decision to reduce the chance of me feeling more self conscious than I already am. I am a good looking guy and I have no trouble on that front but I really do feel like I will be unhappy about this for the rest of my life if I dont do something about it.

I am wondering has anybody had similar experiences and/or has anyone got any information which might help me to go about doing it. I am very self sufficient so the cost isn't an issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Mixedup

I would be vary wary of plastic surgery OP, it's such an extreme and possibly dangerous solution to our problems...
    fair play to you on the weight loss by the way, 120lbs is amazing!
    My advice would be to stay healthy, fit and working out, and try to accept yourself, in the end thats all that really matters, i bet if you didnt think about it so much you'd find that nobody would notice either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Mixedup wrote: »
    I would be vary wary of plastic surgery OP, it's such an extreme and possibly dangerous solution to our problems...
    fair play to you on the weight loss by the way, 120lbs is amazing!
    My advice would be to stay healthy, fit and working out, and try to accept yourself, in the end thats all that really matters, i bet if you didnt think about it so much you'd find that nobody would notice either!

+1!

I think you should avoid surgery. I 'm presuming the procedure would be similar to a tummy tuck which cuts away excess skin and shapes and tones.. the only thing is there are massive sticthes/scars with that so I'm assuming it would be the same for chest augmentation... You'd just be replacing one imperfection with another imo...

I bet others don't even notice anythng but you're preoccupied with it! Try and get passed this.

good luck with what you decide to do!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

was an ad in the metro, prob best have a consultation with one. Or even ask a GP.

Have a look at the UK too. You only live once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Not Reg wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm a male in my early 20's and I am very seriously considering corrective plastic surgery to reshape my chest, as a result of being obese from the age of 10 until I was about 20 I have man boobs or whatever you want to call them. I am in good shape and overall in the last couple of years I have lost 120lb's. As healthy as I am I have never been able to reduce the amount of fat on my chest and all I can say is it cripples me. Everything I do and everywhere I go has to be a preconceived decision to reduce the chance of me feeling more self conscious than I already am.

Sounds like Gynecomastia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynecomastia (the example shown there is very severe, so don't worry). TBH if I had it, and had the money, I'd have it corrected.
    Don't listen to all these people who tell you not to bother getting it done - if something is wrecking your head, fix it. Simple philosophy, but an effective one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Well done on the weight loss.

I think the bottom line is that the decision you make on this needs to be for the proper reasons. I personally wouldnt do it, but having said that im not in your shoes.

Whiscever path you choose. i wish you the very best of luck. I think you have and will think about this long and hard enough and what ever decision you decide on will be the correct one.

- Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

davyjose wrote: »
    Sounds like Gynecomastia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynecomastia (the example shown there is very severe, so don't worry). TBH if I had it, and had the money, I'd have it corrected.
    Don't listen to all these people who tell you not to bother getting it done - if something is wrecking your head, fix it. Simple philosophy, but an effective one.

In fairness, I think you've looked up the wrong disorder. The OP has the chest issue from being obese in the past, i mean I don't think he's complaining of secreting milk etc.????

Also the OP should listen to ALL views, not just yours - that's the beauty of Boards:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

In fairness, I think you've looked up the wrong disorder. The OP has the chest issue from being obese in the past, i mean I don't think he's complaining of secreting milk etc.????

Um, unfortunately, you just read a wikipedia article on it, and jumped on one single thing you could to discredit my argument. The simple fact of the matter is this condition is quite common with people who have been overweight as it's to do with hormonal imbalances. Secretion of milk is an extreme case, and AFAIK, quite rare.
    Also the OP should listen to ALL views, not just yours - that's the beauty of Boards
    Good to know you've figured that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

I would agree with the people who have said to go and have the surgery!

Why should you be unhappy - losing the weight was great but you still aren't confident..It's so easy to say don't have it blah blah but your problem and issue will always be there.

From what I know it would be quite easy to turn those moobs into pecs with a surgical procedure. It's basically a boob job but for men!

A mate of mine had it done, while he didn't have moobs he wanted Pecs!

I would go to the UK or somewhere cheaper than here! You might even be able to get it done on the NHS...not sure if you need to be a UK resident for x number of years or not.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fair ****s on the weight loss. Am a big guy myself so can nothing but respect such an achievement.. Would love to hear how you done it tbh!

Considering how common breast surgery etc is these days, resorting to plastic surgery to fix something that really seems beyond fixing by natural means is a non issue.

Would go for it and wouldn't think twice about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Bet you are a big ride now OP, fair play. ;)That is a BIG weightloss so well done you for having achieved it. My philosophy has always been if there is something in your life that is making you unhappy and you have the capacity to change it then go and do it! So go and do it! Just make sure you source a well-respected professional clinic and go and change what it is you hate, you will not look back. I think you deserve a treat after all that dieting!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

OP - there's a difference between having breast tissue and having fatty deposits and there's also a difference in having them both removed. Your condition could be correctable through liposuction and localised exercise, as opposed to having to have muscle tissue removed - but of course you won't know until you see a professional.

I'd go to your GP first, and get them to refer you - if they won't refer you, at least get them to go through your current condition with you and explain what will need to happen. You don't want to run foul of some predatory body butcher who suggests you need everything nipped and tucked - especially if you're fragile after having had body issues for a long time.

Well done on the progress to date, and best of luck with it from here out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Not Reg wrote: »
    I am wondering has anybody had similar experiences and/or has anyone got any information which might help me to go about doing it. I am very self sufficient so the cost isn't an issue.
    If the deposits are glandular then no amount of exercise and diet will remove them.

Go visit http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Do not self diagnose or allow anonymous strangers on the internet to do so for you. Your first port of call is to your GP and discuss your options with him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Go for it.

That's my opinion,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

davyjose wrote: »

+1. By all means consider the risks and make sure you go to a good surgeon who preferably has experience. But if it makes you happy do it. I assume most plastic surgeons will be familiar with this procedure as it seem a fairly common problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is a problem I have had too. I lost a lot of weight in my teens, but since then have had a small amount of fat on my chest that no amount of bench-pressing will get rid of. Most of the time I don't think about it, but every once in a while you get some p***k who notices and points it out to everyone in the room. Whatever people say about not paying attention to people like this, when someone starts to make fun of your biggest body hang-up, it's not a nice feeling.

With regards to having surgery, you should contact a GP first to talk about it. This is a better option than talking to a friend or family member, in my opinion, as a GP will be professional and just give you the facts. From what I've read, scarring is fairly minimal after surgery, but you need professional advice regarding anything about this. There is also the cost of the procedure to consider if you decide to do it privately, as it does cost thousands to get done.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mattyboy20

You need a 'breast reduction' procedure. Fair play to you for having the balls to lose the weight and wanting to look your best. Yes, there is risks with surgery but life is all about risks. Get the surgery, you'll feel way better with yourself afterwards.

Advertisement