Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driveway problem

• 30-11-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi
    The (small)driveway at my parents house has seen better days, the area is only 22sq m. I was considering removing the old cold rolled tar which is down about 25 years with a view to relaying a new surface myself. It is for foot traffic mainly, I might put the car in two or three times a year if I was doing a bit of maintenance. Would anyone have any opinion on what "road" to go regarding a surface. The neighbour put concrete on hers years ago but money is scarce so i'm looking for the most cost effective way. There is a tarmac production facility about 20mins drive away that do sell to the public but i would imagine that it would be difficult to lay for a novice without a roller.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

We'll do it for ya boss :D

You could give the measurement and thickness to the tarmac supplier who'll calculate how much you want and hire a roller from a tool hire co.
    You'll also need a strong metal rake for levelling it before rolling. Ideally a two man job to spread, level and roll while the tarmac is still hot.
    I've done it with a neighbour years ago and turned out fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

22 sq metres of concrete at 4 inches thick (which is more than enough for your job ) is equal to slightly over 2 cubic metres of concrete ...couple of lads for 3 hours and its job done...cheaper and far better job than any tarmacadam .. my opinion anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What about some type of restorer for the existing tar?

http://www.smartseal.ie/products/36/54/Tarmac-Restorer-Tarmac-Sealer-20-litres.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Thanks guys
    3 options so far, the existing surface is down foe ages and has been patched(badly) many times, its just not good enough to treat unfortunatley.
    I have never done anything in the tarmac line and I would def be more comfortable with concrete but I thought that the tarmac would be more forgiving to work with, if i hired a roller then then job could be done in one straight run and I would have access in a couple of hours. Still undecided, I need to cost the tarmac, I only have an open trailer and the trip back would take 20 mins, add the spread time so I am not sure about the time frame, would the load have cooled too much on the way back. I would hope to do it towards the end of next week as I would have the son around to give me a hand. I know bad time of the year as well to be doing something like this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

mikehn wrote: »
    Thanks guys
    3 options so far, the existing surface is down foe ages and has been patched(badly) many times, its just not good enough to treat unfortunatley.
    I have never done anything in the tarmac line and I would def be more comfortable with concrete but I thought that the tarmac would be more forgiving to work with, if i hired a roller then then job could be done in one straight run and I would have access in a couple of hours. Still undecided, I need to cost the tarmac, I only have an open trailer and the trip back would take 20 mins, add the spread time so I am not sure about the time frame, would the load have cooled too much on the way back. I would hope to do it towards the end of next week as I would have the son around to give me a hand. I know bad time of the year as well to be doing something like this as well.

Bad, bad idea. Go the concrete route. A couple of hundred Euro gets you a job for life. Loads of finishes you can go for, trowelled, tamped, brushed or floated. Get 30N, don't add water, do it on a dry day with no rain or frost forecast. The last 3 weeks would have been a dream time to do it. Prepare a good solid base
    before you lay and have about three men to help you. Job done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement