Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velfac v Rationel

Options
  • 28-06-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Think I've narrowed it down to these two for windows and doors. Does anyone have opinions and experiences that they'd like to share to help my decision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Are they both timber on the inside and aluminium on the outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

policarp wrote: »
    Are they both timber on the inside and aluminium on the outside?
    Yep, they're the ones.

As far as I can see, the pros cons of each are:

Velfac
    Pros:
    Secure by design certified (or whatever .... it's called)
    Nice aesthetics imo
    12 year guarantee

Possible cons:
    when sash is open timber frame seems very exposed - could this have weathering implications?
    Quoted u vales are slightly higher than others
    Haven't come across feedback on the net re their installation service

Rationel
    Pros:
    Quoted U values seem low
    Seem to be well known

Cons:
    Sash design is not as nice as Velfac and to my eyes possibly not a good a design as Velfac from a security standpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spartan123

Hi dubber - in the same predicament as yourself at the moment. Narrowed down suppliers to between these two. Just wondering what you went went in the end and your experience? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

dubber wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the pros cons of each are:

Velfac
    Pros:
    Secure by design certified (or whatever .... it's called)
    Nice aesthetics imo
    12 year guarantee

Possible cons:
    when sash is open timber frame seems very exposed - could this have weathering implications?
    Quoted u vales are slightly higher than others
    Haven't come across feedback on the net re their installation service

Rationel
    Pros:
    Quoted U values seem low
    Seem to be well known

Cons:
    Sash design is not as nice as Velfac and to my eyes possibly not a good a design as Velfac from a security standpoint?

Hi dubber

Who did you go for in the end and how have they worked out for you?
    PM me with any personal opinion you have on either also.

• Advertisement

rodge123 wrote: »
    Hi dubber

Who did you go for in the end and how have they worked out for you?
    PM me with any personal opinion you have on either also.

I went with Rationel as they were cheaper. Happy with the windows so far, the installers did a good job and were a nice crew too.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

I'd go with Rational. I'm working on a new build in Cork and the Velfac after sales service is rubbish. Parts got scratched or damaged during construction, nothing major just ironmongery and replacement handles and such have been ordered months ago and all we're getting is a load of bluff.

cork2 wrote: »
    I'd go with Rational. I'm working on a new build in Cork and the Velfac after sales service is rubbish. Parts got scratched or damaged during construction, nothing major just ironmongery and replacement handles and such have been ordered months ago and all we're getting is a load of bluff.

We have a few quotes in (Rational, Carlson, Velfac), Rational are the cheapest so leaning towards them.

Our architect reckons all are good but Velfac are slightly nicer aesthetically (Slimmer frames and their sliders blend in seamlessly with standard windows).

We'll go to showrooms before making a decision.

Apart from their after sales, were you happy with the look and performance of the Velfac windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

The look of the Velfac was very impressive, very aesthetically pleasing but the wear not so pleasing. The ironmongery didn't make much of a battle. The door handles repeatedly came loose, and the flush bolts to secure the second door on the pairs of french doors was a disaster as it was very stiff to close and if it wasn't closed 100% you close the main door of the pair and it shears off the lever of the flush bolt. All in all I wasn't impressed with anything apart from the look of the individual window itself. Matching the tone of the paint on flashings to bay window poles with paint tone of the windows themselves was also a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

rodge123 wrote: »
    We have a few quotes in (Rational, Carlson, Velfac), Rational are the cheapest so leaning towards them.

What kind of percentages differences are we talking ?

• Advertisement

bmm wrote: »
    What kind of percentages differences are we talking ?

Need to go back to all with a few queries and adjustments but 35k - 37k exc vat (Rationel cheapest, Velfac dearest).
    Includes front & utility doors plus a garage door.
    Still waiting for quotes from three other suppliers.

Rationel coming in with u value of 0.75; Carlson 0.95; Velfac failed to provide individual window u values and just gave value of 0.53 (Assuming that is just the glass pane).

One very annoying thing is that all suppliers decided to split up some of our larger fixed light panes even though their documentation and specs say they supply up to 2.7 x 2.7 on average.

Our architect says they tend to do this a lot and it drives him mad; he knows they supply the sizes we require as he has got them before.

cork2 wrote: »
    The look of the Velfac was very impressive, very aesthetically pleasing but the wear not so pleasing. The ironmongery didn't make much of a battle. The door handles repeatedly came loose, and the flush bolts to secure the second door on the pairs of french doors was a disaster as it was very stiff to close and if it wasn't closed 100% you close the main door of the pair and it shears off the lever of the flush bolt. All in all I wasn't impressed with anything apart from the look of the individual window itself. Matching the tone of the paint on flashings to bay window poles with paint tone of the windows themselves was also a big issue.

Hey Cork2

There seem to be two suppliers of Velfac windows in Ireland - Harmon Windows and Teroco.

Who did you go with?
    Did you get quotes from both?

Advertisement