Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using ceramic plant pots as downlighter covers??

• 01-12-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

As the title says, do you think it would be safe to use say 6 inch diameter ceramic pots as downlighter covers over standard 50 watt GU10 bulbs and over 5 watt LED GU10s? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Well Mike, I like your ingenuity. Not an Electrician myself but if placed and secured correctly I can see no problem.
    Got a backgarden shed? You may be on the road to riches with some adaptation of that idea (which germinated in a plant pot - pun not intended):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

As the title says, do you think it would be safe to use say 6 inch diameter ceramic pots as downlighter covers over standard 50 watt GU10 bulbs and over 5 watt LED GU10s? Thanks

I guess you are talking about attic space & insulation concerns ? Great idea on the face of it but i'd be just a bit worried about the heat that those poxy GU10s generate and that heat trapped inside a snug pot, might be detrimental to the already short life of the bulb. Maybe not.

FWIW, I've not been in a position to swap out the 25-30 GU10s in my place yet ( still waiting for the Philips Master to hit an acceptable price, and then i'll bite the bullet ) but I did notice that any GU10s I have on a dimmer ( 5 in our main bedroom ) have never failed in 5 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mikelovenotwar

Hi yeah I was thinking of using the plant pots as covers over the downlighters so that I could then simply insulate over the whole attic, rather than having to leave large uninsulated gaps around each downlighter in case of fire. I know I could buy proper downlighter covers but they're fairly pricey.
    And you're right, those 50 watt GU10s do pump out a lot of heat. The 5 watt LEDs put out just a tiny fraction of that. So in my own head I reckon pots could be used with these alright but I'd like to hear if others have done this, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

As dodzy says above ......... perhaps you could attach a little tin vent (chimney) to rise above the insulation. That should solve any overheating issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Definitely no issues with the LEDs. As you say, minimal heat. The GU10s would light up a Havana with the minimum of fuss, or act as a very oddly shaped soldering iron :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement