Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Empty house in Winter - how to prepare?

• 01-12-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm heading away for a few weeks during winter and am wondering what things I should do to help prevent any damage in case we have a really bad freezing spell like a few years ago.

I'll set the timer on the boiler - am I better to set it for say an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening or put it on for a single period - how long --> ?2hrs and should it come on during the day or night or it doesn't matter?

Should I turn the water off at the mains and / or drain the tank in the attic? What about leaving a tap dripping (although I really hate the idea of wasting water like that)?

The tank in the attic has some insulation around it, but I was going to get an insulating blanket to go around it - I think you can get them from the hardware store?

Anything else I should or shouldn't do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Tullogher

Drain down the tank. Switch of the water coming in.

Set boiler for an hour 12 hours apart. That will keep the house from freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

As above plus:

Open the hatch to let heat up into the attic.
    Hope the ESB do not cut the power to your boiler :eek:

Take a look at this thread: Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm heading away for a few weeks during winter and am wondering what things I should do to help prevent any damage in case we have a really bad freezing spell like a few years ago.

I'll set the timer on the boiler - am I better to set it for say an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening or put it on for a single period - how long --> ?2hrs and should it come on during the day or night or it doesn't matter?

Should I turn the water off at the mains and / or drain the tank in the attic? What about leaving a tap dripping (although I really hate the idea of wasting water like that)?

The tank in the attic has some insulation around it, but I was going to get an insulating blanket to go around it - I think you can get them from the hardware store?

Anything else I should or shouldn't do?

get some 7 day 24 hour times and plug in some floor lamps upstairs and downstairs and set them to alternative times . this will give the appearence of the house being occupied from the outside and will deter any thieves especially at night time . give a spare key to a trusted neighbour or relation and ask them to check the house every 2nd or 3rd day and ask them to collect up junk mail and post that will come through the letterbox .

Advertisement