Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cervical cancer

• 02-04-2008 4:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭langerdan79

hi ladies,
    my girlfriend recently had a smear test which came back with abnormal results. a colospocy (sp?) followed which showed she has precancerous cells. so this has happened in the last week and i am a bit freaked coz i know nothing about womens health and stuff, my missus seems pretty relaxed about it and is taking the next step to get the cells removed. has anyone here had this done and can you calm my nerves coz i don't even know where to start to check up on this. also for anyone based in the cork area can you tell me the place where you go to get this sorted?? and last thing, i know that some countries give a cervical cancer vaccination to young women, is this happening here at all???
    cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Moved from tLL - you will get much better advice in PI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cervical smear results often return abnormal results. It's quite common, and often they are easily treatable with antibiotics. In your girlfriend's case, it's a little more serious, but still treatable. It's not cancer yet. Your girlfriend's GP should have set her up with a consultant who will help take care of all this. There's no point in getting too stressed about it, until after the cells are removed and she is retested. Right now, she is doing all that she can to look after herself.

She could probably do with some support from you, but not heavy support (if you get my meaning). She is probably a little worried, but could do without you worrying as well.

You can get the cervical cancer vacine here in Ireland, I'm not too sure about the costs involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

Hi there
    I had this same scare in August, followed by the coloscopy in Novemeber, and then the removal of the cells (LEETZ procedure) in January.
    The procedure itself is over within about 20 minutes. Your given a local anesthetic, so you don't feel anything. A nurse is with you at all times and the doctor does a quick procedure in much the same manner as a smear test.
    Its not too uncomfortable and it really was over before i knew it.
    She can expect to feel crampy and tired after for about 2-3 days. I was a bit emotional and in need of some TLC and hugs. I've to return for a 6 month check up and that's it.
    I know its stressful and emotionally draining, but the procedure itself it ok.
    The good thing is that they are removing PRE cancerous cells, not cancerous! So keep sight of that.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.tellher.ie/
    http://www.tellher.ie/default.aspx?pid=2&sid=6

ok Precancerous cells mean that the cells are abnormal but not cancerous and they will be removed and your gf will have to go back for a few tests afterward to monitor the situation. Most women will have a few treatments and everthing then goes back to normal.

How wonderful that your gf did go for a smear and that this was caught at such an early and treatable stage, this is why smear tests are so important.

As for the vaccine it is has been only advailible privatly to women who have not have penative sex and only vaccinates against the most common strains of the HPV ( Human Papilloma Virus ) and is pretty costly.

There is a study group researching it here presently.
    http://www.cerviva.ie/Project7.html

I think it is good that you are concerned about your gf's health and want to be as informed as you can be.

If anyone has been effect by this and or is worried there is a help line you can call.
    For further information on the cervical smear tests and/or cervical cancer Freefone the National Cancer Helpline on 1800 200 700 (week days 9am – 5pm, Tuesdays until 9pm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 crazym

Hi there, I also had abnormal smear results in January (cin111).
    I had the lletz procedure done in February and was fine after it some women can find it a bit overwhelming, like another poster said lots of hugs & tlc work wonders!
    I attended Holles st in Dublin for my procedure and apart from the long wait beforehand, the nurses were great and it all went without a hitch.
    I found a website called http://jotrust.co.uk which i found a great source of information, especially what to expect after, as the information sheet they give at the hospital hospital is not great.

best of luck

• Advertisement

• I had the same thing, had an abnormal first smear and went for a colposcopy. I was pretty shocked since I'm only 22 and apparently not considered high risk (they won't even test girls my age in Ireland, only in the North) but they said literally anyone can have abnormal smears and they're common enough. I was freaked out at first, because the Dr was quite condescending and made me feel like I'd done something wrong, and I just wasn't expecting to be so unlucky, but after a few days I was OK. I have to go back next month and maybe get the LLETZ procedure if the abnormal chances have gotten worse. Just have to wait and see really.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i abnormal smears for 2/3 years and now they are fine, i wouldnt worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭langerdan79

thanks for the replies and links girls, will read up on it more and its all about being positive and supporting my gf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Thaedydal wrote: »
    As for the vaccine it is has been only advailible privatly to women who have not have penative sex and only vaccinates against the most common strains of the HPV ( Human Papilloma Virus ) and is pretty costly.

There is a study group researching it here presently.
    http://www.cerviva.ie/Project7.html

My doctor was offering me this and I don't fall into that category, so maybe things have changed. It was quite expensive - about €500 if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

Weird advice being given out here. i suggest you ask her doctor.
    I wouldn't worry.

there is people talking a lot about ****e they don't know about.

people suggesting that they will be performing surgery etc. this really pisses me off.. its not fair that people say all this stuff on such a sensitive issue they know nothing about.

i thought that medical advice is not meant to be givin out on these boards?

i have no idea why people are suggesting the HPV vaccine.

Its indended for people who have not already been exposed to the virus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement