Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fixing insulation to a wall

• 08-02-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

i need to fix kingspan xtratherm to an internal wall and then slab over it with plasterboard now my dilema is:
    the wall in question is down stairs and was built straight on the soil with no damp course.we don't have damp on the walls but the cupboards did smell musty until i put some damp proof plastic behind them.how can i fix the insulation on to the wall?can i dob and dab with plaster?but then how do i fix the plasterboard on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Could you not use insulated slabs and fix them using "mushroom" fixings.insulated slabs are available with different widths of insulation.you might get an idea from this sitehttp://www.theinsulationstore.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

jjf1974 wrote: »
    Could you not use insulated slabs and fix them using "mushroom" fixings.insulated slabs are available with different widths of insulation.you might get an idea from this sitehttp://www.theinsulationstore.ie

i had thought of that but the last time i was in my building merchants they said that was old school so i ended up buying the seperate items.it was easier then as i as re insulating a bedroom so i had battens to screw to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Old school my blolox. It's the only way to do it for speed and efficiency also its a constant insulate behind the slab ie not separated with battons. And mushrooms decent enough fixing just make sure there the right size to get a solid pull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

If you have plaster board and the insulation separately stick them together. I think pva can be used, then mushroom fix them to the wall.

i thought it was blox aswell.i'll try 'em again.is it dearer than p/board and insulation bought seperately?and are mushroom fixing those plastic type ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

A 38mm thermal liner will probably set you back about €25, after that you have 50mm overall, then 62.5mm overall etc

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Roscommon John

Hi there, what type of walls are they ? As mentioned above insulated slabs are your best option.

Depending on your walls you will have a few options, if you walls are stone, drilling and mushroom fixings will be a nightmare your better of dot and dabbing, make sure and key the wall first for grip and use a level and help those slabs are heavy.

Concrete walls can be a pain to drill as well, some times you will hit stone or steel, again dot and dab would be easier.

If you have block walls use mushroom fixings, but use the metal fixings, the plastic ones are a disaster.

Best of luck.

Hi there, what type of walls are they ? As mentioned above insulated slabs are your best option.

Depending on your walls you will have a few options, if you walls are stone, drilling and mushroom fixings will be a nightmare your better of dot and dabbing, make sure and key the wall first for grip and use a level and help those slabs are heavy.

Concrete walls can be a pain to drill as well, some times you will hit stone or steel, again dot and dab would be easier.

If you have block walls use mushroom fixings, but use the metal fixings, the plastic ones are a disaster.

Best of luck.

cheers for all the replys.it's a concrete blockk wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Roscommon John

If it's a block wall, then metal mushroom fixings are the easiest way to fix the slabs. Just remember to embed the heads of the fixings slightly into the slab when hammering them home, so the skim coat covers them properly.

Best of luck.

cheers.hopefully doing it next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Best of luck.

If you're using the plastic mushrooms, you need to clear the drill hole completely of dust, by putting the drill in and out of the hole after you've gone to the required depth.
    Metal mushrooms dont have the little fins on the ends like the plastic ones and are essentially express nails, whereas the plastic ones would be closer to a rawl plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I've used both and would recommend the steel ones there the job good idea about sticking the slab to the insulation PGA would be grand for the slab but the foil on the insulation how would it stick to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

bugsntinas wrote: »
    i thought it was blox aswell.i'll try 'em again.is it dearer than p/board and insulation bought seperately?and are mushroom fixing those plastic type ones?
    Don't use the plastic ones, the're cheaper to buy but you'll end up wasting a lot of them, use the metal ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

aujopimur wrote: »
    Don't use the plastic ones, the're cheaper to buy but you'll end up wasting a lot of them, use the metal ones.
    +1 they are a waste of time.Am i right in thinking that you have to use the metal ones to meet fire regulations.maybe thats only UK regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

jjf1974 wrote: »
    +1 they are a waste of time.Am i right in thinking that you have to use the metal ones to meet fire regulations.maybe thats only UK regulations.

Yeah that rings a bell - maybe someone mentioned it here before.....

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

Al Capwned wrote: »

Yeah that rings a bell - maybe someone mentioned it here before.....

Metal mushrooms are only 6c each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Johny 8 wrote: »

Metal mushrooms are only 6c each
    as all the above advice too..id use 50m insulated slabs..BUT i would stick them..the plugs ..hmm could be a bit of a "cold bridge"issue with them in some circumstances.

Advertisement