Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelbarrow tire losing pressure - help!

• 05-02-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

I have an old builders wheelbarrow with a wheel as per the attached photo.
    Over a period of a few weeks it always goes flat.
    Immersed in a tank of water there are no bubbles and hence I think, no puncture.
    BUT when I trickle water on one side of the wheel, between the tire and the plastic rim, I see the smallest of bubbles emerging.
    So, that's why it is going flat.
    NOW, the question please;
    Are there well known builders tricks to stop this happening?
    On inspection the rim looks OK and the tire is not badly worn.
    But the leakage is minute and extends over about 30 degrees of the rim on just one side.
    I tried adding some oil around the rim before inflating it, but it still failed.
    So, just wondering if there is some trick?
    Ger.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

would a dollop of grease or vasaline do the trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Maybe the info in this link might help http://m.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Wheelbarrow-Tire-(tubeless)
    Last year I can't remember which one it was aldi or lidyl but they sold wheelbarrow tires , if all else fails u might be able source those ...
    My father for years used go through barrows all because the wheel would go flat ? Waste .. So good luck at least u have found the area that needs patching up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭gerdalt

Thanks for the two suggestions.
    I sort of thought that grease would be the same as oil!! And it didn't work.
    BUT . .
    "Apply tire bead sealer or dish soap to assist in the bonding process"
    ....this sounds more like the job :)
    Have to investigate 'tire bead sealer' and see what that is. Or try soap!!

Will post back when tested.

Ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Can't imagine a new wheel would cost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mindful

gerdalt wrote: »
    I have an old builders wheelbarrow with a wheel as per the attached photo.
    Over a period of a few weeks it always goes flat.
    Immersed in a tank of water there are no bubbles and hence I think, no puncture.
    BUT when I trickle water on one side of the wheel, between the tire and the plastic rim, I see the smallest of bubbles emerging.
    So, that's why it is going flat.
    NOW, the question please;
    Are there well known builders tricks to stop this happening?
    On inspection the rim looks OK and the tire is not badly worn.
    But the leakage is minute and extends over about 30 degrees of the rim on just one side.
    I tried adding some oil around the rim before inflating it, but it still failed.
    So, just wondering if there is some trick?
    Ger.

You could try a mix of PVA glue and water, or rubber glue might do the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I have the same issue when it is lying idle. I just use a hand pump on it which only takes a few seconds and it then stays inflated for a couple of days. I think this will always happen new tyres or not just from lying idle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a much easier, and permanent, solution, just get an inner tube fitted. I got mine done in one of the major tyre/exhaust chains, FastFit or Advanced, I can't remember which, but it was pretty cheap. That was 10 years ago and I've only pumped it up a couple of times since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭gerdalt

Hhhhhmmmmm . . .

A new wheel and tire are not cheap.

But I like the idea of a tube.

If the soap doesn't fix it I'll go for a tube.

Tks to all.

Ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

An inner tube is the way to go, believe me. Shouldn't cost more than €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

if the valve is "car" type, try using one of the puncture repair/"get you home" cans, works wonders on slow punctures, but you might have too big of a gap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Same thing happened me with my trolly/sack truck - tried everything nothing worked.

I bought a new wheel - job done.

To the door - wheel tire and tube €15 ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I done the tube thing a couple of times and had a pain in my face fixing the two barrows I have I bought a wheel in the caster mart I. Ballymount solid rubber tyre great job so it is. I haven't pumped it since. Ha ha.

On the other one middle of a field pissing rain so out with a tube of tec7 sealed the tyre to the rim job done but I'm still waiting to see what happens when I actually get a puncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭hanloj1

Inner tube worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Try your local motor factors. I saw a tin of some compound ( cannot remember the name) which is used for sealing tyres on site machinery. Looks like the standard compressed aerosol puncture repair cans only larger. Saw one in a motor factors in Bray last week. Did not check the price.
    I am guessing it is something like the product developed and sold in Cork for permanently sealing tyres against punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    Can't imagine a new wheel would cost too much.

15 euro

Advertisement