Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honest opinions please

Options
  • 26-06-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there people, Im a recent college graduate who hasn't singed on yet and am in need of some advice, Im 22 and have been in college for the last 4 years and my job experience is limited to casual & summer work. Now my mother for the last several years has been living multiple sclerosis but it has got to the point that without assistance it takes her upwards of 3 hours to get out of bed and proceed to the bathroom to get washed before doing anything else.

Now she is also a very independent and very private person so getting outside help is not really a viable option, I'm just wondering if there is any way of signing on so i can look for work however stress the issue that i can only work for a given amount of time, cause i have heard of people being thrown off for not taking job offers, now i hate to sound like im being picky but i cant really say i'll take the job but i have my own conditions.

Has anyone being in a situation similar to this or have any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

If your mother doesn't want outside care you can apply as her carer for an allowance. You can't really sign on to job seekers allowance if you are not willing and able to work. I think call into citizens advice and talk to them or your SW office. They are there to help. I'd suggest citizens information first as they can help you decide the best course of action to helping care for your mother but still have a wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Contact the Carer's Association, they're great at providing support and information on all aspects of caring, including social welfare http://www.carersireland.com/

Jobseekers does require that you do not restrict your hours unreasonably, see here for further details: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx#condavailwork

If your mother requires full-time care and attention, then you may be eligible for Carers Allowance, this does allow you to work outside of the home for 15 hours per week, with generous disregards, which allow you to keep the first 335 Euro of any outside employment without affecting your payment.

You could however be caught in between the two payments.

It may be that your mother does not require full time care and attention, just help at certain times of the day, and if this is the case, you would not be eligible for Carers Allowance. If this is the case, you could also find yourself being restricted from Jobseekers because you are not available for any offer of full-time work. In those circumstances you would argue that you are looking for full-time work and that the restrictions that you are placing on your employment are reasonable in all the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭All about Eve

Apply for carers allowance its 204 per week.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/cr1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Apply for Carers Allowance, don't go near Jobseekers, you don't fulfill the requirements if you're not available for full-time work at the drop of a hat. You're entitled to Carers Allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

Dont expect your application to be processed quickly. I applied for carers allowance 5 months ago and still have not received it.Mine is a pretty straight forward application too. You should apply and them maybe go to your cwo and get swa while you are waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Apply for Carers Allowance, don't go near Jobseekers, you don't fulfill the requirements if you're not available for full-time work at the drop of a hat. You're entitled to Carers Allowance.

You're only entitled to Carers Allowance if you meet the criteria of the scheme http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/carers_allowance.html

In particular the following must apply in respect of your mother
    The person being cared for must be:

* Over the age of 16 and so incapacitated as to require full-time care and attention or
    * Aged under 16 and in receipt of a Domiciliary Care Allowance.

The person receiving care is regarded as requiring full-time care and attention where

* He or she is so incapacitated as to require continuous supervision in order to avoid danger to him or herself or continual supervision and frequent assistance throughout the day in connection with normal bodily functions, and
    * He or she is so incapacitated as to be likely to require full-time care and attention for a period of at least twelve months.

Check the above link to see if you are eligible. As above poster states, you can apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance while an application is pending.

Advertisement