Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Financial support for independent non-mature

• 24-06-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am a 21 year old currently living with my parents during the summer until college begins again in September. Due to the emotional abuse (the details of which I am reluctant to get into but will if necessary) I am subjected to while living here I believe the best option for my mental health is to move out of the house. However, I have been unable to get a job for the summer despite constant effort and because I am a student I am not eligible to receive the dole. Additionally, because I am not independent from my parents and their income is the means by which I am assessed, I am not eligible for any benefits such as the grant or the Student Assistance Fund. I was wondering if there was any form of state assistance I can receive to remove myself from this situation.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for such a query as I was unsure as to whether it was more applicable to here or PI, perhaps.

Thank you for your time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

I sympathise with your situation. Unfortunately as far as i'm aware there is nothing you can/will get while you are a fulll time student. When I was in college I was forced to move out of home in January and received absolutely nothing until August when I was 3 full months out of college and not going back.

I mean try your CWO but generally while in full time education they won't give you anything. I mean they might help you out but generally they don't. Sorry, unless someone else knows more that's all I can offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

amitrapped wrote: »
    I am a 21 year old currently living with my parents during the summer until college begins again in September. Due to the emotional abuse (the details of which I am reluctant to get into but will if necessary) I am subjected to while living here I believe the best option for my mental health is to move out of the house. However, I have been unable to get a job for the summer despite constant effort and because I am a student I am not eligible to receive the dole. Additionally, because I am not independent from my parents and their income is the means by which I am assessed, I am not eligible for any benefits such as the grant or the Student Assistance Fund. I was wondering if there was any form of state assistance I can receive to remove myself from this situation.
    I apologize if this is the wrong forum for such a query as I was unsure as to whether it was more applicable to here or PI, perhaps.

Thank you for your time
    if you are suffering from abuse of any type there are protections there for you. Your obvious first point of call is your GP. He or she can refer you to a counsellor who will be able to help you deal with the situation you find yourself in. You can present yourelf to the Homeless CWO in your area, but you will need fairly extensive evidence that the emotional abuse does in fact exist. This evidence would usually consist of a letter from your GP, the counsellor, a social worker etc. supporting your claim that you need to be housed because you are suffering from abuse in your current living arrangements. All colleges have an emergency fund for students in dire circumstances, and you can visit with them as well when school commences in the Autumn. Dont be alone in your misery. Speak to a doctor, a gaurd, someone you trust can go with you, but youll have to open up to someone first.

Advertisement