Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseekers allowance query

• 24-06-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

I recently finished college, have moved back with the folks, and have being approved for the jobseekers allowance. I am a repeat applicant, and before I went back I was being deducted a certain amount because of my parents income. That was fair enough.

I am now 25 years old, and when i reapplied I was under the impression that my parents income would no longer be assessed as part of my claim even though I am living at home (from info on citizens information website). But, apparently i was wrong. I got the letter saying I was approved, but, with the same deductions from my previous time claiming. When I went into the office to query this, I was told that no matter how old I was I could still be deducted for the same reasons as my previous claim (informed by a lady in a very smug and unhelpful manner).

My question is: Is this correct, or are they trying to screw me out of money I am entitled to and are hoping I wont do anything about it?

The link below is from citizens information
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

OP - I too would have thought that someone over 25 did not have their parents means assessed - perhaps a post in the State Benefits forum will clarify for sure ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Decisions regarding a person's entitlement to JA are, in all cases, made by a Deciding Officer. Details of the means assessed and of the rate awarded are advised to the claimant.
    With regard to an application for Jobseeker's Allowance, the principles of Natural Justice require that a person must be informed of any statement or allegation affecting the claim of which s/he was not aware and upon which a suspension of payment or unfavourable decision may be based. This provides the person with an opportunity to refute or comment before the case is referred for formal decision. A person is entitled to know the source of any evidence adverse to his/her case. The Natural Justice provisions pertain to fresh and repeat claims as well as to claim reviews.
    Each decision by a Deciding Officer is made on the particular merits of the case, having regard to its individual circumstances. A Deciding Officer exercises discretion and applies flexibility where provided for and appropriate.
    A Deciding Officer may, at any time revise any decision of a Deciding Officer or an Appeals Officer if it appears to him/her that there has been any relevant change of circumstances or of new facts which has been brought to notice since the original decision was made.
    Disallowances

Where a claim is disallowed or payment is disqualified, the person is notified in writing of the decision on a form which gives the reason for disallowance/disqualification.
    Appeals

If a person is dissatisfied with any decision made by a Deciding Officer with regard to their entitlement to JA, s/he may appeal that decision to an Appeals Officer.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx#part2

It looks like you should appeal this decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,087 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

moving to SB ... this ain't a Work question.

Advertisement