Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fuel allowance

• 20-06-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi

I have just lost my job and i have had to sign on :(
    As i live on my own i need all the help i can get

I have heard people talking about been entitled to fuel allowance when unemployed

Can anyone tell me how it works and how do you apply for it

Thanks
    Sinead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Payments are from September to May 20 euro per week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

dave1982 wrote: »

How do i apply for it what type of fuel does it cover :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

You apply in September if you are still unemployed, it is paid in cash with your social welfare payment in the post office each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dave1982 wrote: »

20 euro a week me hole.

If you are in Dublin or any smokless fuel area,then its a meesly 3-4 euro a week.

• Advertisement

sparky89 wrote: »
    Hi

I have just lost my job and i have had to sign on :(
    As i live on my own i need all the help i can get

I have heard people talking about been entitled to fuel allowance when unemployed

Can anyone tell me how it works and how do you apply for it

Thanks
    Sinead

Dont forget your "living alone allowence" too,around 7 euro extra a week,but as they say.......every little helps.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you live in a smokeless fuel area there is an extra allowance of €3.90 on top of the fuel allowance of €20

I live in westmeath and i have oil heating i dont have a fuel fire or gass

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dont forget your "living alone allowence" too,around 7 euro extra a week,but as they say.......every little helps.:)

I never heard of a living alone allowance ?
    Could you give me more info please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think you need to be unemployed for over a year before you are entitled to the fuel allowance.

• Advertisement

eastbono wrote: »
    If you live in a smokeless fuel area there is an extra allowance of €3.90 on top of the fuel allowance of €20

Are you 100% sure about this???

Because a SW person in Longford told my sister on the phone,she was only entitled to 1 or the other,and it turned out that she was only entitled to the smokless fuel allowance of 3 euro 90.

So is the SW person after cheating my sister out of alot of money then or what??????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

After being in payment for a certain period of time, You can receive smokeless fuel allowance on JB/IB - but cannot receive fuel allowance on these payments. You can receive both on JA (after a certain period of time).
    All the information on both payments is available on www.welfare.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

The Living alone allowance doesnt apply to JA/JB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

20 euro a week me hole.

If you are in Dublin or any smokless fuel area,then its a meesly 3-4 euro a week.

If you live in Dublin, Dublin is classed as a smokless fuel area and you can apply for both, €20 plus the €3.90. If you are on a Benefit payment then you may only receive the €3.90. But when you benefit ends or you change to Allowance you should qualify for €20 Fuel Allowance plus the €3.90

Because a SW person in Longford told my sister on the phone,she was only entitled to 1 or the other,and it turned out that she was only entitled to the smokless fuel allowance of 3 euro 90.

So is the SW person after cheating my sister out of alot of money then or what??????:confused:

If the SW has given your sister this infomation then, he has given her the WRONG information. Fuel Allowance is €20 per week during the Fuel Allowance months for qualify payments. The Smokeless Fuel Allowance is paid on top of the Fuel Allowance if they are in a smokless area.

If your sister was on a quailfying payment then she should contact the Department in realation to not been paid the Fuel Allowance of €20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It depends what scheme your sister is on.Is your sister on FIS(they are based in Longford) and they only pay smokeless fuel allowance(3.90 p/w)

yabadabado wrote: »
    It depends what scheme your sister is on.Is your sister on FIS(they are based in Longford) and they only pay smokeless fuel allowance(3.90 p/w)

A person can be in reciept of FIS and Fuel Allowance if they are on a qualifying payment. They may also qualify for the smokeless if they are in a area covered by smokeless fuel

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/FuelAllowance/NationalFuelScheme/Pages/NationalFuelScheme.aspx

yabadabado wrote: »

A person can be in reciept of FIS and Fuel Allowance if they are on a qualifying payment. They may also qualify for the smokeless if they are in a area covered by smokeless fuel

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/FuelAllowance/NationalFuelScheme/Pages/NationalFuelScheme.aspx

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/fuel_allowance.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Granger13 wrote: »

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/fuel_allowance.html

FIS dont pay the Fuel allowance they only pay Smokeless Fuel Allowance.If you are on a qualifying payment for Fuel Allowance ,FIS will tell you to apply for the Smokeless allowance thought that other scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

From previous posts, I think paddy's sister is in receipt of Illness Benefit. They have not given her wrong information, on this scheme she would only be entitled to smokeless fuel allowance, not fuel allowance. Every scheme have different entitlements to fuel & smokeless fuel.

cee_jay wrote: »
    From previous posts, I think paddy's sister is in receipt of Illness Benefit. They have not given her wrong information, on this scheme she would only be entitled to smokeless fuel allowance, not fuel allowance. Every scheme have different entitlements to fuel & smokeless fuel.

Thanks,she is indeed on Illness benifit.

Advertisement