Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ucc plus society

• 04-09-2009 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I just finished the access week with ucc plus and my friends and I want to set up a ucc plus society, so that people from the ucc plus could get together and hang out. i'm sure many people made friends thanks to ucc plus and this applies also to second, third and fourth years. we need 100 signatures, so anyone interested?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Mario007 wrote: »
    I just finished the access week with ucc plus and my friends and I want to set up a ucc plus society, so that people from the ucc plus could get together and hang out. i'm sure many people made friends thanks to ucc plus and this applies also to second, third and fourth years. we need 100 signatures, so anyone interested?

WTF is UCC plus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭deisedude

Why do you need a society to hang out with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

deisedude wrote: »

I too was going to pose this question, but got sidetracked by the idea of UCC plus.... is it like Argos Extra...

Do you have to order the really cool courses in?

WTF is UCC plus?

I think its organised for students coming from disadvantaged backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

its the same thing as with the BIS having their society, for example. basically just a little getting together of people that are about the same. and to really keep the ties going to be honest, otherwise the one week that they do for access orientation doesn't seem to have sense, with regards to getting new friends.

I think its organised for students coming from disadvantaged backgrounds.

yeah thats basically it.

• Advertisement

its the same thing as with the BIS having their society, for example. basically just a little getting together of people that are about the same. and to really keep the ties going to be honest, otherwise the one week that they do for access orientation doesn't seem to have sense, with regards to getting new friends.

yeah thats basically it.

I get what you are saying but i'm pretty sure UCC plus organise a few events throughout the year anyway. My friend was in it and he went to a few parties and a wine and cheese function. I even tagged along to the Christmas party and got free drink:D I wouldnt classify the BIS, Commerce et al societies in the same boat as what you are proposing. First off they would have a far larger group of potential members and secondly they would be able to attract sponsorship a lot easier because they are guaranteed that a big crowd will turn up at their events, class parties etc. A society exclusively of students in the access programme would struggle in that regard.

I get what you are saying but i'm pretty sure UCC plus organise a few events throughout the year anyway. My friend was in it and he went to a few parties and a wine and cheese function. I even tagged along to the Christmas party and got free drink:D I wouldnt classify the BIS, Commerce et al societies in the same boat as what you are proposing. First off they would have a far larger group of potential members and secondly they would be able to attract sponsorship a lot easier because they are guaranteed that a big crowd will turn up at their events, class parties etc. A society exclusively of students in the access programme would struggle in that regard.

i'll start off firstly by stating that i do not really know how the organizations work. but i was talking to the staff of ucc plus and they would support such an initiative, and were even considering setting up this kind of society themselves. this would, i imagine, take away their responsibility of organizing the social events and shift it onto the society. from what i heard a grant could be got to get the society off the ground. what we need is those 100 signatures:D

i'll start off firstly by stating that i do not really know how the organizations work. but i was talking to the staff of ucc plus and they would support such an initiative, and were even considering setting up this kind of society themselves. this would, i imagine, take away their responsibility of organizing the social events and shift it onto the society. from what i heard a grant could be got to get the society off the ground. what we need is those 100 signatures:D

Will the society strictly be for those eligible for UCC plus or can anyone join? I'd imagine if it is the former then mobilising support is going to be an issue

Will the society strictly be for those eligible for UCC plus or can anyone join? I'd imagine if it is the former then mobilising support is going to be an issue

yes true, getting 100 signatures from 400 people would be a damn tough job. however i can't imagine how it would be open for everyone if we want to keep the integrity of ucc plus...thats pretty much the reason why i set up this thread.

yes true, getting 100 signatures from 400 people would be a damn tough job. however i can't imagine how it would be open for everyone if we want to keep the integrity of ucc plus...thats pretty much the reason why i set up this thread.

Theirin lies the problem. Most people will ask whats in it for them and if there is no tangible reward for them why would they be bothered signing their name for a society they can't even join? Why not have some events just for those in UCC plus and more events that everyone can participate in? Otherwise the society is going to come across as exclusive which is the opposite of the whole idea of UCC plus in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Well collecting the signatures wont be the problem, people will sign anything you put in front of them and most wont even read what theyre signing. The problem will be proving to the societies guild (the governing body of societies and the group that pass all applications) that the appeal for such a society exists. Personally I think you'd have an extremely difficult job to get it past, as the idea doesnt have much if any scope other than other UCC plus students (of which there isnt that many), no non-ucc plus students would have any interest in it so it lacks a lot of appeal. Also the fact that the staff already organise events for UCC plus students throughout the year means that one of the societies core event plans already exists. For instance, can you think of 5 different events that UCC plus would hold during the year? I couldnt. If you want to stay together as a group and do more stuff together thats great, exchange numbers and meet up more frequently if you wish, but I personally dont feel that the need exists for a UCC plus society to exist on its own.

However, if you really feel like you wanna go for it, i'd recommend emailing the socities president at president@uccsocieties.ie, and have a chat with her about it, and she'll give you her advice on whether it might be worth your while collecting signatures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

But what would you actually do?

All societies have a core purpose - Choral go in for music, Chuallacht for Irish, Debsocs for debating, Comm/ Law/ Med Socs are departmental socs, Dramat for acting.

What's your angle? MedSoc for instance isn't just a society for Med students to coexist, it has purposes like running seminars/ educational events etc.You likely won't get funding just to hang around.

You'll find that as the year progresses, if you're going to be friends with people from the Plus programme (not entirely sure if that's it's name, could be wrong), you'll gravitate naturally towards them, and you won't need a formal societal framework in which to meet up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm a UCC Plus student and I don't think a society is necessary tbh. If you'd like to stay in touch with the people you've met during the access week you can surely do so without requiring a society. Also as mentioned before the UCC Plus staff organise social events every so often.

I remember a few girls I did the access week with tried to set up a Tea society! :D Unfortunately, the Guild didn't go for it.

Theirin lies the problem. Most people will ask whats in it for them and if there is no tangible reward for them why would they be bothered signing their name for a society they can't even join? Why not have some events just for those in UCC plus and more events that everyone can participate in? Otherwise the society is going to come across as exclusive which is the opposite of the whole idea of UCC plus in the first place

thats an interesting way to look at it. thanks for that suggestion. i must apologize because i set up the thread without much prior thought and in enthusiasm from the week past, so i must think more about it.
    samf wrote: »
    Well collecting the signatures wont be the problem, people will sign anything you put in front of them and most wont even read what theyre signing. The problem will be proving to the societies guild (the governing body of societies and the group that pass all applications) that the appeal for such a society exists. Personally I think you'd have an extremely difficult job to get it past, as the idea doesnt have much if any scope other than other UCC plus students (of which there isnt that many), no non-ucc plus students would have any interest in it so it lacks a lot of appeal. Also the fact that the staff already organise events for UCC plus students throughout the year means that one of the societies core event plans already exists. For instance, can you think of 5 different events that UCC plus would hold during the year? I couldnt. If you want to stay together as a group and do more stuff together thats great, exchange numbers and meet up more frequently if you wish, but I personally dont feel that the need exists for a UCC plus society to exist on its own.

However, if you really feel like you wanna go for it, i'd recommend emailing the socities president at president@uccsocieties.ie, and have a chat with her about it, and she'll give you her advice on whether it might be worth your while collecting signatures

thanks for the email. i will certainly try to talk to the societies president, as well as with the ucc plus staff to try and see how it could work. i mean we could extend this, it might work as a student help society as well....i'll have a better think about it.
    ALincoln wrote: »
    But what would you actually do?

All societies have a core purpose - Choral go in for music, Chuallacht for Irish, Debsocs for debating, Comm/ Law/ Med Socs are departmental socs, Dramat for acting.

What's your angle? MedSoc for instance isn't just a society for Med students to coexist, it has purposes like running seminars/ educational events etc.You likely won't get funding just to hang around.

You'll find that as the year progresses, if you're going to be friends with people from the Plus programme (not entirely sure if that's it's name, could be wrong), you'll gravitate naturally towards them, and you won't need a formal societal framework in which to meet up.

yes the framework has to be agreed upon. as i said there could be some of the competences transfered from the ucc plus programme to the society, but thats just one idea i've had so far.
    I'm a UCC Plus student and I don't think a society is necessary tbh. If you'd like to stay in touch with the people you've met during the access week you can surely do so without requiring a society. Also as mentioned before the UCC Plus staff organise social events every so often.

I remember a few girls I did the access week with tried to set up a Tea society! :D Unfortunately, the Guild didn't go for it.

well to be honest it would probably something like that tea society or something like that:D the people from the programme want to call it the mario society:cool::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Damn!
    How can the guild not like tea!!:pac:

thats an interesting way to look at it. thanks for that suggestion. i must apologize because i set up the thread without much prior thought and in enthusiasm from the week past, so i must think more about it.

thanks for the email. i will certainly try to talk to the societies president, as well as with the ucc plus staff to try and see how it could work. i mean we could extend this, it might work as a student help society as well....i'll have a better think about it.

yes the framework has to be agreed upon. as i said there could be some of the competences transfered from the ucc plus programme to the society, but thats just one idea i've had so far.

well to be honest it would probably something like that tea society or something like that:D the people from the programme want to call it the mario society:cool::D

So go on then, don't keep us in suspense; what's the framework?

And just out of interest, who will lead this society? Somebody with experience of how societies work? Somebody who knows how finance, PR, socials and so on operate?

So go on then, don't keep us in suspense; what's the framework?

And just out of interest, who will lead this society? Somebody with experience of how societies work? Somebody who knows how finance, PR, socials and so on operate?

but i need to keep ye in suspense to build up the hype;)

to be honest right now all i can think of is a society that helps the access programme students but also other students who might find difficulties in college but are not eligible for the access programme. plus it would be a place for people from the access programme to together and see how everyone is doing. this would basically involve a shift of competences from the access programme proper. doesnt sound like much, does it?

with regards to the other questions i honestly dont know yet...i'm only a first year...

What exactly do you mean by "a shift of competences"?

What exactly do you mean by "a shift of competences"?

as in right now the staff at ucc plus organise everything. they get the social events going, they are trying to help everyone etc. i think it would be nice if we helped out in this way, after all the work they did for us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Busyness

Hey guys,

I'm not involved in any way with UCC Plus but I've a suggestion - why don't you guys join a society - such as the BIS Society as mentioned? I'm only mentioning BIS as it's a very sociable society with many events going on throughout the year - it might be worth giving it a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 The Lightening Strike

Does anyone have any ideas how much funding UCC societies get?

Advertisement