Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturers from physiology take different approach

Options
  • 25-03-2014 3:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭

I get the impression that the physiology lecturers have bit more of a cold approach to the students. I'm in 3rd year now(not physiology), but when I was in 2nd year, I thought most of physiology lecturers I had were a bit strict or distant in one way or another. Firstly, they all seem to insist that you call them by their correct title. One or two seemed to try and guilt the students a lot for not knowing certain material... sometimes in an inappropriate way. Is this just a coincidence that they're all the same in this regard, from just that department?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

It may just be a coincident from the department, they learn it from the older lecturers and it perpetuates! However, while I'm doing a completely unrelated course (engineering), I feel that most of the lecturers are much friendlier after 3rd year for whatever reasons!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭To Need a Woman

magicianz wrote: »
    It may just be a coincident from the department, they learn it from the older lecturers and it perpetuates! However, while I'm doing a completely unrelated course (engineering), I feel that most of the lecturers are much friendlier after 3rd year for whatever reasons!
    Well, if I was a lecturer, I wouldn't allow OTHER lecturers to rub off on me so easily! It's not secondary school any more, so the 'treat em mean, keep em keen' mentality is just deeply offensive. Funny thing is, most of the students don't mind being spoken down to like that!!!!!!

coincidence**

The other side of it is that the University is still really slow in responding to issues with lecturers and departments if there are complaints. There are a number of departments I've heard horror stories from that have left students having to take half of their course the following year putting them out 1000's of euro, and just department heads treating students like crap and nothing being done. Red tape everywhere. I'm deeply involved in all parts of student life and they really ****ing love their red tape in there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭To Need a Woman

coincidence**

The other side of it is that the University is still really slow in responding to issues with lecturers and departments if there are complaints.
    I think I might know which other department you're talking about there.
    There are a number of departments I've heard horror stories from that have left students having to take half of their course the following year putting them out 1000's of euro, and just department heads treating students like crap and nothing being done. Red tape everywhere. I'm deeply involved in all parts of student life and they really ****ing love their red tape in there...
    But still, don't they all get two chances to sit their exams???

I'm not talking about specific departments, I'm talking about most parts of UCC! Mainly the ones that aren't actually involved in student life.

Yeah, everyone has 2 opportunities to sit their exams. But I'm talking about incompetence on behalf of the department meaning that the students never actually get fully registered because of the amount of time and committees that everything has to go through, even when there are college staff who say plain and clear "This is our fault."

• Advertisement
Advertisement