Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to connect a 5 gallon jerry can to my oil boiler?

• 09-02-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Just wanted to no if anybody has ever put a extra fuel connection onto there oil boiler and connected it directly to a 5 gallon jerry as a emergancy supply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would likely be problematic as you would get air in the system when the main tank would empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

lynchiered wrote: »
    Just wanted to no if anybody has ever put a extra fuel connection onto there oil boiler and connected it directly to a 5 gallon jerry as a emergancy supply.

Could be dangerous as you would have to ensure that the main tank would never overflow the jerry can ,say on a refill . Using valves there is always a possible that a valve could be left in the wrong position.Not worth the hassel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lynchiered

Thanks guys,
    does anyone have details or ideas on how to connect the fuel supply pipe to the

jerry can? . Im thinking im just going to disconnect our actual oil tank as its not used too much and it has been emptied by robbers twice last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Effectively the only option is to replace the tank with a smaller tank, might be better with a 50 gallon barrel.
    If it the loss of stolen fuel thats the problem then 50 galls isnt much to loose and probably not worth the bother to thieves.
    You will still have enough fuel to last a bit and a few drums to keep it toped up.
    The blue barrels have a bung that can be fit to the feed pipe of a boiler and they can be filled with a funnel in the top bung.
    Drawback is lugging drums of fuel and the cost of small amounts of kero.
    You might be better putting the effort into securing the tank from thieves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

To hook up the Jerry can you would have to weld on a nipple to it and attach a shut of valve and oil filter I wouldn't advise going down this road I think you would be better of if you just maintained a minimum amount of oil in your tank and use your Jerry can to top up your tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

When I was doing lots of oil to gas changes in the 90's I collected a huge amount of heating oil in 40 gallon drums from customers who were only too glad to get rid of their old tanks.
    These metal drums have a 22" and a 3/4 connector which makes them very handy for filling and emptying.
    Happy customers, and I had free heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Its no big deal to drill the jerry can and just put a tank connector like you would put on a tank in the attic, you can also get reducers if you need to, lot of people are doing this now being short of cash and just buying oil when needed.
    It might not be the safest plan but everyone is doing it none the less

There would likely be an insurance issue too if something went wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

I have it done and I put a valve on the line all I have to do at night when the heating goes off is go out unplug the can and bring it in have had oil stole in a long time.

Advertisement