Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Problem..

Options
  • 11-01-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, Can anyone help me with this. I'm painting my new house which has been skim coated weeks ago. I'm using Dulux Total Cover Matt White Emulsion and have the first coat watered down to the manufacturer's recommendation 3 parts paint to 1 part water for the first coat.
    Most of the walls and ceilings are coming out great there is fantastic coverage with this paint. BUT in some patches the paint is not soaking into the plaster/skim as well as the others and leaving patches that need five or six coats to cover. Doe's anyone have any ideas on why this is happening.
    I attached photos...

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

One of the reasons could be that there was to much polybond added to skim and left shinny patches which doesn't allow paint to soak in.
    Try to use undiluted paint on Walls were u can see shinny patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

byrybak wrote: »
    One of the reasons could be that there was to much polybond added to skim and left shinny patches which doesn't allow paint to soak in.
    Try to use undiluted paint on Walls were u can see shinny patches.

+1 it is to much polybond in the plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

jshea2013 wrote: »
    Hi, Can anyone help me with this. I'm painting my new house which has been skim coated weeks ago. I'm using Dulux Total Cover Matt White Emulsion and have the first coat watered down to the manufacturer's recommendation 3 parts paint to 1 part water for the first coat.
    Most of the walls and ceilings are coming out great there is fantastic coverage with this paint. BUT in some patches the paint is not soaking into the plaster/skim as well as the others and leaving patches that need five or six coats to cover. Doe's anyone have any ideas on why this is happening.
    I attached photos...

Thanks...

Grab a small tin of this. Apply over problem areas. Job done.

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=217

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jshea2013

Thanks alot everyone i'll get that primer and apply.
    Thanks again

Hi Dodzy,
    Any idea where i can buy that primer..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Hi Dodzy,
    You don't need to use any special primers to cover what us painters call mapping. You just to need to give the areas of mapping a couple of extra rolls of matt emulsion, to kill it off so ro speak.

Give the room a coat of emulsion, come back an hour later and re roll the patches again. Repeat the process till it is no loner shiny. 2 coats should be suffecient.

It has to be matt emulsion you use to kill the mapping. Sheen or silk won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi Dodzy,

As Michael said above, repeated coats will eventually kill the stain. But that zinnser bin stuff is excellent. Any decent paint suppliers should stock it.

Hi there,
    Another problem with the painting, there seems to be alot and i mean alot of rusty spots appearing on the painted walls. I think it might be some metal bits in the skim coat but not sure. There on the ceiling and all the walls but not as bad in some rooms, could it be the different batches of skim coat? Im using some spray stain stop over them, but new ones popping up every day.. does anyone have any ideas/advice. some photos attached
    Thanks Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Do keep ur house well ventilated while painting? Looks like damp/ mould spots, it also could be rust from nails holding slab.

Ya its well ventilated, the spots are rusty colored and there on solid block wall as well without a nail in sight. The only common denominator is the skim coat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Roscommon John

Hi jshea as micheal said that's mapping. I'm a plasterer by trade and it's usualy caused by over trowling. I'd advise anyone painting fresh plaster to lightly sand their walls, and I mean a light sanding with a fine sanding block. Mapping is usually caused by over trowling " Fat " or excess skim into walls that are starting to harden. It causes the paint to slick and not adhere to the wall properly.
    A light sanding before painting removes this slick and gives the first coat of paint a better key.

Those walls with rust spots are they plasterboard walls ? If they are you will need stain blocker, I suspect the slab nails or screws were not bedded deep enough into the slab and the coating has been removed from them by trowling ,causing them to rust.

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ya its well ventilated, the spots are rusty colored and there on solid block wall as well without a nail in sight. The only common denominator is the skim coat..
    The water that your plasterer used must have been dirty. Seems like there was metal shavings of some sort in it!

Oh and I've seen rendered walls with rust spots too, some times you may end up with iron in the sand, it will leech through. Some times walls ties or expanded metal protuding through blocks can cause it too.

Hi.
    Thanks for the replies, the rust spots are not screws or nails or and fixing, because they are on the sand and cement walls as well the plasterboard and insulated slab. The only common denominator is the skim coat, so maybe there was some metal in the skim coat? has anyone seem this before. It was mixed indoors as well so i don't think anything got into the mix..:confused:

Hi jshea, is the paint your using for first coating new paint ? I've seen this happen with paint in metal tins that have been opened before, you end up with some rust on the tins inner edge and it contaminates the paint.

Was the mixing water being taken from a metal barrel ? They are commonly used by plasterers and blocklayers for holding mixing water, that could be the cause of the contamination. I prefer plastic barrels myself for this reason. I have never come across bags of skim that have been contaminated with metal, but thats not to say they weren't.

Hi Roscommon John,
    Ye it was new paint in plastic 10L drums dulux total cover matt white. The water that the plasterer came from a plastic bin that was well washed out before use.. Its a strange one alright not what you want to see the next day after painting the house...

Advertisement