Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary leave

Options
  • 25-06-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, just a question. What can I claim for if there is voluntary redundancy in place and payment was given as part of this leaving (ie Employee recieves voluntary redundancy payment)? I left my rented accommodation 3 months ago as I knew there were redundancies coming up. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

You may have to wait 9 weeks before you can apply for job seekers allowance. If you were paying prsi you may be eligible for job seekers benefit i'm not sure. Call up and talk to social welfare or else citizens information.

"Disqualification from Jobseeker's Allowance

You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Allowance for 9 weeks if you:

Left work voluntarily and without just cause
    Lost your job through misconduct
    Refused an offer of suitable alternative employment or suitable training
    Suitable employment does not include the employment in a job that is vacant because of a trade dispute. In addition, the employment must be suitable, having regard to your age, sex, physique, education, normal occupation, where you live, rate of pay offered and your family circumstances."

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

that doesn't apply to Voluntary Redundancy.

that doesn't apply to Voluntary Redundancy.

I'm pretty sure it does. I'm not actually picking this information from the top of my head:rolleyes: As I said depending on what payment you apply for their are different limitations. For example depending on how much you received from work it can affect when you can receive payments.

Read the information here http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=98113 it gives cut off's and information. Again it varies wither you will be affected or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Redundancy generally occurs where you lose your job due to circumstances such as the closure of the business or a reduction in the number of staff. The reason could be the financial position of the firm, lack of work, reorganisation within the firm or it may be closing down completely.
    Redundancy can occur where one of the following things happen:
    • Your employer ceases to carry on business or ceases to carry on business in the place where you have been employed. (For example, if the firm moves location, this can be a substantial change in your working conditions and may therefore be a reason for redundancy. However if there is a change of ownership under the transfer of undertaking legislation where employees are re-employed with no change to their working conditions then it is not a redundancy situation.)
    • Your employer's requirements for employees in your category has ceased or diminished
    • Your employer has decided to carry on the business with fewer or no staff. In deciding whether your employer is continuing the business with fewer or no staff, close members of your employer's family are not taken into account
    • Your employer has decided to let your work be done in a different manner in future and you are not sufficiently qualified or trained to do the work in the different way
    • Your employer has decided that your work will in future be done by another person who can do other work as well and you are not sufficiently qualified or trained to do that other work.
    When a number of employees are being made redundant within a 30-day period this is known as a collective redundancy.
    Sometimes there is a voluntary redundancy situation. This is when an employer needs to reduce the workforce and asks for some employees to volunteer for redundancy.
    In some cases when you have been in a lay off or short-time working situation for a certain length of time you may be entitled to claim redundancy.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/RedundancyandInsolvency/redundancy/Pages/Overview.aspx

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the responses folks. There are a couple of hundred people being laid off. They are doing voluntary redundancies to try and prevent redundancies of people who dont want to go. My redundancy is less than 50k, so I know I shouldnt need to be disqualified for a few weeks based on those figures. I have been working for full time for the past 4 years in my current role. I collected "the dole as it was" for 2 weeks before this. I have been working for 8 years before hand. There shouldnt be any issues with regards to stamps over the past two years. The redundancy hasnt happened yet, but I want to ensure that when it does happen in a few weeks, I know where I stand.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I'm pretty sure it does. I'm not actually picking this information from the top of my head:rolleyes: As I said depending on what payment you apply for their are different limitations. For example depending on how much you received from work it can affect when you can receive payments.

Read the information here http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=98113 it gives cut off's and information. Again it varies wither you will be affected or not.
    technotoaster, you can take voluntary redundancy and still qualify for Jobseekers Benefit, as long as you have enough PRSI contributions and are looking for and available for full time work. There is no doubt about that.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    technotoaster, you can take voluntary redundancy and still qualify for Jobseekers Benefit, as long as you have enough PRSI contributions and are looking for and available for full time work. There is no doubt about that.

Another person who jumps the gun and doesn't bother to read what I've posted. Now go back look through what I've said and see it CAN affect it. I never said 100% defiantly does I said CAN

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

OP sorted closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement