Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving out of home, still means tested?

• 22-06-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey all,

I lost my job a few months back after working for 5 years (am now 23) so I had to go on the JSB using my PRSI contributions, just recently i was means tested and am now getting the massive sum of 55euro a week as i am living at home.

However I now must move out and intend on finding a flat, I want to know what would i be entitled to when i move out?? im aware i wouldn't be able to claim rent allowance until after the first 6 months but would i be getting much more than the 55euro im currently getting on this means test thing?

Any help would be very welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You'll not be able to get rent supplement unless you have been assessed by your local authority as in need of housing. They don't just look at whether you've been paying rent for 6 months, but whether you were able to afford it yourself at the start of the tenancy. If you're not working, they will not consider that you could afford it. You may have difficulties being assessed by the local authority if they consider that you could still live with your parents.

The rate for Jobseekers Allowance for a 23 year old is 144 Euro unless one of the exceptions applies, in which case it is the full rate of 188. For details of the exceptions see here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html#l62fd2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Actually as you were transferring from Jobseekers Benefit, you should get the full 188 if you're not living with your parents.

Also keep in mind that if you get 13 weeks work you may requalify for Benefit.

Advertisement