Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple USB SuperDrive - Is it worth the money

Options
  • 07-12-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

my usb disc drive has gone to the big tech skip in the sky, need another one
    for burning dvd's, is the apple one worth the cash or would i be better off going
    for a cheaper one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

The apple USB superdrve only works with apple, only works at 8x, and has no blu ray support, so for the price, yes you can do way better!

There are plenty of USB drives from sony, asus, Lg, etc, that are not only cheaper, they are faster and support reading and writing to Blu ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I bought one to go with my macbook and only used it once and even then it wasn't burning the CDs correctly. Think I was burning an image or something.
    For the price of them they're definitely way overpriced but the thing is there are extremely small so don't take up much space although I imagine competing products are just as small profile now.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/what-mac-compatible-dvd-r-drives-can-you-get-we-take-look-at-apple-superdrive-alternatives-3500390/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

Think a lot of people buy the Apple USB Superdrive as they think that the Mac won't work with other external DVD/Blu Ray USB writers. So far I haven't encountered an external DVD/Blu Ray drive that didn't work with the Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I bought this external Blu Ray, I find it very good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00INGA7ZG

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nope it's not worth the money and if you ask me, no external hard drives are. Since I bought my MacBook Air 3 years ago I've never wished once or had the need for disc based media.

• Advertisement

Nope it's not worth the money and if you ask me, no external hard drives are. Since I bought my MacBook Air 3 years ago I've never wished once or had the need for disc based media.

Erm, it's not a hard drive... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sorry I can't be held responsible for something I typed before coffee. Meant to CD/DVD/BluRay drives :pac:

Sorry I can't be held responsible for something I typed before coffee. Meant to CD/DVD/BluRay drives :pac:

We're allowed to be human!

It's interesting that one of the chief complaints I get about brand new iMacs is the lack of DVD drive. I would suggest people get one to be on the safe side.

There's no requirement to use the Apple Superdrive with a Mac. So far every external DVD/Bluray drive I've seen is compatible.

Advertisement