Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing second HDD in MBP

Options
  • 10-12-2014 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to remove the SuperDrive from my MBP and replace it with a second hard drive. Would anyone be able to recommend a suitable HDD for this? I'd like at least 1TB and a decent read/ write speed. Unfortunately, the budget won't stretch to another SSD. I already have the caddy for the conversion, too.

If it helps, this is my MBP spec:

MBP 13in Mid 2012
    Intel Core i5 2.5GHz
    250GB SSD
    16GB RAM

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Did your MBP not originally come with a HDD or had it an SSD when purchased?? If you still have the original, you could use it. Alternatively any standard sized HDD with the correct SATA connection will work but if you insist on going the HDD route try getting a 7200rpm version rather than 5400Rpm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Thanks for the reply... It had an SSD in it when I got it. The RAM is the only thing that I've upgraded myself.
    I'll have a look in PC World on my way into work this evening and see if they have anything in the 7200rpm.

Thanks again

Ended up getting a hybrid SSHD for it. Toshiba 1TB for €114 from PC World. Didn't think that was bad value. Got a Spec case for it too... Should have left the credit card at home! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Did you carry out the install yet? How hard was it? I looked recently at a couple of youtube videos along with an ifixit guide and it looks relatively straightforward.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Did you carry out the install yet? How hard was it? I looked recently at a couple of youtube videos along with an ifixit guide and it looks relatively straightforward.

Yeah, did it last night. Was very easy to do, took about 10 mins from start to finish. You have to format the new drive once it's installed as the MB doesn't recognise it at first.

Just be careful not to lose any of the tiny screws like I nearly did! Oh, and all the screws are a phillips head, except 1, which is a torx head. I forget the number, but will find out if you need it.

• Advertisement

OK, so I've had the new 2nd SSHD in for about a week now, and I have to say, I'm not impressed!

Transferring large files from the main SSD or USB3 eternal drive to the SSHD is actually rather good... However, transferring even sub 1gb files from the SSHD back to the SSD can take an age. I store all my movies on the SSHD, but playback is very choppy, bordering on unwatchable. So, I have to transfer the movie back to the SSD to be able to watch it normally.
    The SSHD is only 5400 RPM, but it does have 8gb nand flash which I thought would speed it up a bit.
    I'm now thinking that I'll have to sell the SSHD and spend the extra on another SSD! :(

Advertisement